Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Just got this off of Craigslist

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 07:19 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts

I just got this mountain bike off of Craigslist. It needs work, but I am up for some wrenching. I am thinking about taking everything off, rust treating, and checking everything out, then packing and lubricating the components. Thoughts?

Old 09-28-20, 09:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics but the welds make it look like aluminum, in which case nothing much to rust proof. No harm with stripping most of the parts off, cleaning them, repacking bearings, and reinstalling if you know what you're doing. Looks like a fine bike.
Old 09-29-20, 04:16 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 142 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know about the Cannondale in the background. I'd know that brake hanger anywhere
cheers -mathias
Old 09-29-20, 09:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I believe that is a Bikes Direct offering. If so, check the wheel bearings. All three I have looked at were cup and cone and were either a) over-tightened, or b) shot from being over-tightened.

I think you need a stem riser for that stem riser.
Old 09-29-20, 09:14 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Re: Cannondale

Originally Posted by steine13
Inquiring minds want to know about the Cannondale in the background. I'd know that brake hanger anywhere
cheers -mathias
I want to build the Cannodale up. The downtube shifters are missing and I am currently implementing a suggestion to replace them with cable guides. I'm on the fence when it comes to putting drop bars on them or straight handlebars on them. I'm an old fart (50,) and my back isn't whistling Dixie these days. I also have two other frames, an aluminum GT frame and an old Shogun steel frame.

Here's the Cannondale frame.

I managed to get one of the cups off of it, already, but the other one is being a bear (pardon the pun.) I spray some liquid wrench in there and see if that helps getting it off. I need to get a wrench or use a mallet and screwdriver to get the bottom bracket on the left side off. I want to strip the frame and repaint it, once I find a viable solution to the missing DT shifters.
Old 09-29-20, 09:57 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 142 Posts
>> I'm an old fart (50,)
Ha. I'm six years older.

Forgive me for bringing it up -- I'm sure you know -- and I forget the particulars myself -- these bearings arent all lefty-loosey...it's been too long but I think™ that one side has a left-hand thread. Just thought I'd mention it, because of the aluminum frame the and the 'mallet' and all...

EDIT: Ohhh now I see what this is -- it's an ST400 -- early 90s I'm guessing -- the 'brake bridge' is actually the attachment for the rack. These are nice; I have a '96 T400 w/ cantilevers, same red, ordered new from LBS in '95. My favorite bike ever. You'll love it -- especially if you need the 25" size, them frames is stiff!

Last edited by steine13; 09-29-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 10:00 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Risers and risers, oh my!

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I believe that is a Bikes Direct offering. If so, check the wheel bearings. All three I have looked at were cup and cone and were either a) over-tightened, or b) shot from being over-tightened.

I think you need a stem riser for that stem riser.
You can never have to many risers ;-) The previous owner dorked it up pretty good, and left it outside (pets and bikes should never be left outside.) He put the wheel skewers in the wrong way, and yeah, risers on top of risers. I think he did that so he could ride more upright. I plan on taking everything apart, repacking the bearings, replacing the cables, the brake discs and re-greasing everything. I got bored last night and removed the handlebars. Of course the front strut dropped on the floor and spilled stuff everywhere, so I get to learn how to reassemble the front shock now, though I am debating on where or not to get a new shock or just service the current one. The seat is a Bell seat. It looks comfortable but its a Bell seat, then again it might not be so bad because I have a condition that effects many men my age....noassatall syndrome...kidding.

I got my work cut out for me!
Old 09-29-20, 10:03 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by steine13
>> I'm an old fart (50,)
Ha. I'm six years older.

Forgive me for bringing it up -- I'm sure you know -- and I forget the particulars myself -- these bearings arent all lefty-loosey...it's been too long but I think™ that one side has a left-hand thread. Just thought I'd mention it, because of the aluminum frame the and the 'mallet' and all...
That's the ghetto way of doing it. I'll probably get the wrench to get that particular piece of instead of using a screwdriver and mallet. I just need to figure out the right size for the wrench.
Old 09-29-20, 10:36 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
Of course the front strut dropped on the floor and spilled stuff everywhere, so I get to learn how to reassemble the front shock now, though I am debating on where or not to get a new shock or just service the current one.
The fork came apart? That is pretty strange. Did you or the prior owner undo the foot screws? Suntour forks usually require no service because there's usually nothing in them to service, just a greased coil spring. But you can clean it and grease it and replace the wipers if you want.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-29-20, 10:37 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

I unscrewed it and snipped the old cables

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The fork came apart? That is pretty strange. Did you or the prior owner undo the foot screws? Suntour forks usually require no service because there's usually nothing in them to service, just a greased coil spring. But you can clean it and grease it and replace the wipers if you want.
It was just me not paying attention when I unscrewed the top bolt.
Old 09-29-20, 04:26 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

The left one came off with no problem

Originally Posted by grizzly907la
That's the ghetto way of doing it. I'll probably get the wrench to get that particular piece of instead of using a screwdriver and mallet. I just need to figure out the right size for the wrench.
I left one was a piece of cake to get off...the right one, on the other hand is on their good.