Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lawyer lips, reflectors, other CPSC stuff!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 09:05 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts

Cut them off, remove reflectors, throw them away? What is your take?
Old 10-09-20, 09:21 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Lawyer lips are utterly idiotic. They completely defeat the purpose of quick-releases. I honestly don't understand why they didn't just go to solid axles and bolts in lieu of lawyer lips + QRs. I'm guessing that they created them because of the people who didn't understand how a QR worked and tightened them by turning the end instead of flipping the lever. Surely there could have been a better solution.
Likes For davester:
Old 10-09-20, 10:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
While I agree that lawyer lips are stupid, they aren’t required by the CPSC. If the front wheel doesn’t have quick release, it has to have a wheel retainer but quick release don’t.
That said, I don’t file them off because of liability concerns.

As for reflectors, I have zero use for them and think of them as being worse than nothing. People are persuaded into thinking that reflectors are all they need because that’s all that the CPSC requires. Many states require rear reflectors with active lighting being optional. The CPSC did a study back in the 90s that showed that the side reflectors are completely ineffective but they still require them and, again, many states require the use of side reflectors.

I actually have both rear reflectors and side reflectors (or reflective sidewalls which are allowed in my state) on my bikes because of the legal requirement. A more important reason that I use them is that if I get hit, I don’t want a lawyer pointing out that I wasn’t using reflectors so I’m culpable for any injuries. I specifically picked a rear light that has a reflector even though the reflector is completely useless.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-09-20, 10:54 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I've filed off my share of lawyer lips, and I'll do it again.

What's odd is that the tab style double eyelet dropout that Framebuilder supply sells has them. You're building a fork from scratch and your customer needs lawyer lips?

I buy them because they're inexpensive, locally stocked, have double eyelets...but lawyer lips. They file off easily, but it's annoying!
Old 10-09-20, 11:13 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Lawyer lips don't last 30 seconds on any bike I've owned. Ok, so they only ever came on one bike I've personally owned. They are inherently idiotic. File them off.

Scotchbrite tape on rims and other places is much more easily visible and effective than CPSC reflectors. I sort of give the regulators a bit of a slide though, given the times. Bike lights were nearly totally useless. For the average person, reflectors probably saved some lives.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-09-20, 11:33 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Yeah, it's sooo difficult to spend an extra 10 seconds removing and reinstalling a front wheel . . . .

Old 10-09-20, 11:54 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

I'm sticking with inherently idiotic.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-10-20, 02:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, the legal liability issue. If you're struck by a driver, even if the driver is entirely at fault, you can count on their insurance company's lawyer grilling you over your bike during the deposition or trial. They'll ask if you've modified the bike in any way.

If I planned to physically modify a bike I'd first be sure I could cover my own losses entirely in the event of injury: income, medical expenses, etc.. Don't count on the at-fault driver's insurance to cover your expenses in anything resembling a timely manner.

But if you're covered for medical and employment/income insurance, go for it.

Yeah, those "safety" retainers on the forks are annoying. My 2011 Diamondback's fork lips are so exaggerated it's necessary to completely unscrew the QR. At least my other bikes can drop the front wheel without completely removing the QR, but not the Diamondback. Kinda makes through-axles seem sensible since quick releases aren't anymore with consumer bikes.

But I'm not modifying a bike to remove those. It's only a few extra seconds. I'm not racing. If the group I'm with is that impatient they can go ahead.

Some of my bikes have some reflectors but those eventually break off and I don't usually replace them. I have added spoke mounted LEDs on a couple of hybrids. And I usually run multiple head and tail lights even on my road bikes if I'm planning a night ride.
Old 10-10-20, 02:40 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Yeah, it's sooo difficult to spend an extra 10 seconds removing and reinstalling a front wheel . . . .
Like most parts & mechanisms on a bicycle, there are considerations and compromises.

QRs have advantages and disadvantages. If you want a wheel to stay put, you use nuts. If you want speed of removal, no tool required, and only one side to do (sometimes those bloddy wingnuts wouldn't undo unless you retightened the other side to hold the axle still, that'd be three sides) you use QRs.

Lawyer lips have no function for anyone using a bike with QRs. If you don't know how they work you shouldn't be on that bike. If you do, you don't need lips.

Worse than that, they impede one of the functions of another mechanism. To use a QR with lips you have to loosen it, loosing the adjustment. I like the tension in QR skewers just so, and probably a bit different depending on which dropout and what the faces of the locknuts have and whether they've met before and so on. Lips loose that every time.

However, I haven't had to put a file to many. My interest falls off just about the time they showed up, none of the bikes I have or have had have had them.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 10-10-20, 04:08 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I recently came across an '81 Takara very similar to the one I rode when I was 16. It has all the reflectors, the metal dork disc and turkey levers still intact. This bike is so cherry I don't even like to put my Garmin or Bontrager lights on it even though they all have QR mounts.

This is the first time I have seen or heard of the term lawyer lips, but this bike doesn't have them or safety washers. Although I've had a few bikes over the years where I tossed the washers.
Old 10-10-20, 04:34 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I agree that lawyer lips are stupid, they aren’t required by the CPSC. If the front wheel doesn’t have quick release, it has to have a wheel retainer but quick release don’t.
That said, I don’t file them off because of liability concerns.
I understand your desire to keep the reflectors on for liability concerns but I am not clear on the liability concerns of an owner filing off the lawyer lips. Can you explain?
Thanks,
Andy
Old 10-10-20, 08:25 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
Lawyer lips.....I grind them off with glee.

Dean
Old 10-10-20, 08:29 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
With reflectors it depends on the bike. I almost always ride with a blinking rear light.

The American obsession with safety, a byproduct of our litigious society. I was in a foreign nation a few years ago, visiting an ancient fort. It was basically a tall ring of stones. There were steps up to the top of the wall. No handrails. Someone in our group asked why, and the guide bluntly said that was an American thing. If you decide to climb the stairs, you assume the risk. No chance of lawsuit for a fall.
Old 10-10-20, 09:40 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
While I admit that lawyer lips are a pain, I’m kind of amazed anyone would start a thread about it in the C&V subforum. I guess people miss the thousand previous threads over the years.

I don’t have any on my road bikes. I do have them on my older mountain bike forks. I live with the extra few seconds.

But I understand that time can be lost when racing those vintage steel bikes and you need to swap out a wheel.

John
Old 10-10-20, 09:53 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
In the mid 80s/early 90s I had 2 Schwinns with the wheel retention clips. I'd heard them described as "lawyer clips." They were "clips" mandated to be put on by "lawyers." That's how I knew of them, when I'd see people typing out "lawyer lips" I thought they were misunderstanding the term.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-10-20, 09:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
I understand your desire to keep the reflectors on for liability concerns but I am not clear on the liability concerns of an owner filing off the lawyer lips. Can you explain?
Thanks,
Andy
If I remove them and then sell the bike, I become liable if someone doesn’t use the quick release correctly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-10-20, 10:10 AM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by davester
Lawyer lips are utterly idiotic. They completely defeat the purpose of quick-releases. I honestly don't understand why they didn't just go to solid axles and bolts in lieu of lawyer lips + QRs. I'm guessing that they created them because of the people who didn't understand how a QR worked and tightened them by turning the end instead of flipping the lever. Surely there could have been a better solution.
Yeah, that's exactly it. People commonly would try to use a QR as a wing nut instead of as a cam action lever.

QR were still new to most people in the late 70s and 80s. Every new bike that got sold came with a lesson in how to use the QR skewers, how to shift, how to brake, fitting, etc.

Ironically, the lawyer lips and other similar contraptions generally caused more people to incorrectly fasten their front wheels. Since you have to wind and unwind the skewer like a wing nut, to get past the lawyer lips, people would assume that you are supposed to use that motion to tighten down the wheel. I can't cite a scientific study, but certainly remember that people bringing in bikes with lawyer lips into a shop were way more likely to have screwed this up, literally.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-10-20, 10:14 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If I remove them and then sell the bike, I become liable if someone doesn’t use the quick release correctly.
Only if they can prove that you are the one who wielded the file.
Likes For davester:
Old 10-10-20, 10:38 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
One more point on lawyer lips. I would imagine that the use of lightweight aluminum external cam skewers had a little to do with adding them.

I'll gladly take the weight penalty of some good old internal cam steel skewers (Suntour/Shimano). But if I were riding a bike with cheap imported open aluminum skewers, those lawyer lips would not be as as repulsive going down a rough road at speed.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-10-20, 11:36 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Yeah, it's sooo difficult to spend an extra 10 seconds removing and reinstalling a front wheel . .

I'd wager that over the course of a lifetime of riding you're prolly looking at a couple minutes that have been needlessly ripped outta your time on Earth! And you know there is no way that you can ever recover from that.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 10-10-20, 01:08 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
A few of the bikes in the fleet still have lawyer lips forks but every single one of them have reflectors removed and trashcanned. My only night rider is my snowrider, adequately lit up.
Old 10-10-20, 02:17 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
In the mid 80s/early 90s I had 2 Schwinns with the wheel retention clips. I'd heard them described as "lawyer clips." They were "clips" mandated to be put on by "lawyers." That's how I knew of them, when I'd see people typing out "lawyer lips" I thought they were misunderstanding the term.
Same idea, same motivation, different execution. I kinda like the fact that Schwinn took a little different tack. I also have a couple Univegas with a spring-loaded clip screwed into the fork end fender eyelet, yet another "solution" to a questionably-existent problem.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
One more point on lawyer lips. I would imagine that the use of lightweight aluminum external cam skewers had a little to do with adding them.
Except that lawyer lips/tabs/clips preceeded aluminum external cam skewers by 10-15 years.

Last edited by madpogue; 10-10-20 at 02:20 PM.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-10-20, 02:44 PM
Salamandrine 

OK, so we have established the main purpose of lawyer lips is to protect you against lawyers. If lawyers are after you, it's a coin toss anyway. Since I've never had a bike that I haven't modified, ever, I'm screwed.
Old 10-10-20, 02:52 PM
dunkleosteus
on the wheels of steel

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
With reflectors it depends on the bike. I almost always ride with a blinking rear light.

The American obsession with safety, a byproduct of our litigious society. I was in a foreign nation a few years ago, visiting an ancient fort. It was basically a tall ring of stones. There were steps up to the top of the wall. No handrails. Someone in our group asked why, and the guide bluntly said that was an American thing. If you decide to climb the stairs, you assume the risk. No chance of lawsuit for a fall.
So you're saying there's another kind of lawyer lips we oughta grind off
Old 10-10-20, 04:44 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
What ever happened to all those millions and millions of reflectors, dork discs, Campy derailleur adjustment screw horns and turkey levers that the bike industry produced??
Is there some sort of secret warehouse, in some corner of the world where some eccentric collector have hoarded them into thousands of wire mesh crates, stacked ten high on big racks like you see at your local Costco??
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.