Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1974 Raleigh Carlton Professional

Old 10-19-20, 12:03 AM
Gashepherd

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
1974 Raleigh Carlton Professional

I just went out to check out what was listed as an old Raleigh road bike with a few non-discript photos and one that showed a campagnolo headset, so I figured that I better check it out, turns out it was a 1974 Raleigh Carlton Professional with most of the original campagnolo components except for the wheels, the rear derailleur and shifters. It has an avocet seat post not sure what the saddle is but, it's in great shape, not sure what was there originally besides a brooks saddle. I'm trying to get an idea of how much this bike would be worth whether it would be worth finding the original parts or better to part it out. It appears to be a failed fixie conversion with a suntour cyclone II rear derailleur and shimano bar end shifters apparently from before the fixie conversion.
It was listed for $100, I told her that I thought that she could possibly get more for it, she told me she just needed it gone so that's what I paid, I figured that I should be able to get my money back plus a little bit extra. Any thoughts about what it's worth would be appreciated, sorry I don't have any photos yet, will post some as soon as possible- Gerry
Old 10-19-20, 10:26 AM
Gashepherd

Photos

some photos, the bike is still in the back of the car
Old 10-19-20, 11:01 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
...mostly where I am, I see the Raleigh versions of this for sale on the local CL. Depending on cosmetic condition overall, and how much mechanical work it needs, they usually list on CL for around $800-900 American money. They are pretty nice riders, if you can find one in your size. So nice that I have repainted and restored three of them, from various years. I could never find one in my size that did not need fresh paint.

There was also a Carlton badged version, but I rarely see them here. Mostly the same bike with a different badge.
Old 10-19-20, 11:04 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...from your few photos, that looks like the silver and black version, which was only offered in a couple of years. I like that color scheme, and painted one of mine like that.
Old 10-19-20, 11:57 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 694 Posts
As a Raleigh Professional PROJECT it could possibly bring more $$ than it would parted out. You could sell it as-is, or perhaps sell it with its appropriate parts for the right enthusiast to either track down the missing parts (or pull them from a capacious storage bin). Even though I have never been bitten by the Raleigh Professional bug, I recognize that they are especially iconic bikes for some, and having most of the bike in one piece might be worth a premium to someone seeking just the right project.
Old 10-19-20, 08:23 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
Gasheperd,
Good buy, it from the few pics it looks like the campy group has a bit of rust cant tell from the pics about the paint etc. After a total clean up with wax, full service and new consumables 800 max...at a 100 in, you might do well to set a reasonable price asking price and sell it on CL.
Why not let someone else have the "pleasure" (do all the work) to refurbish it. Calculate the hrs. that you will spend and the cost of consumables in order to help you make your decision.
JMO, Best, Ben
Old 10-19-20, 11:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Gashepherd
... I'm trying to get an idea of how much this bike would be worth whether it would be worth finding the original parts or better to part it out. It appears to be a failed fixie conversion with a suntour cyclone II rear derailleur and shimano bar end shifters apparently from before the fixie conversion.
...I figured that I should be able to get my money back plus a little bit extra. Any thoughts about what it's worth would be appreciated,...
...I meant to add that I agree with the people who are telling you it never seems to make cash sense to try and complete the parts assembly or restore a bike you plan on selling anyway. If it's not your size, or you don't plan on keeping and riding it, you will inevitably be money ahead by selling what you have to some guy who does want to restore and ride it.

If the chrome and paint are excellent, it should be an easy sale, even without wheels, at $350-$400. Less if there's painting to be repaired. Less still if the chrome is pitted or rusty.
Old 10-20-20, 10:39 AM
Gashepherd

more photos

More photos of the raleigh

decals are a little rough, but the paint doesn't seem too bad just dirty as is the chrome

Last edited by Gashepherd; 10-20-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-20-20, 12:16 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Great bike !!!

As others have said, if its your size and you are going to ride it fix it up.

If not...clean and polish and sell to get ready for your next purchase

Pretty rare bike. I would keep it. But I am more of a collector than some.

Congrats on a rare find !!!
Old 10-20-20, 12:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...were that my size (it's not), and if I did not already have one (but I do), here in Northern California I would happily pay $350-400 for that collection of parts and that frame in that condition. A few days and a couple of hundred bucks in wheel parts and components later, I'd have this.

I like this one so much as a rider that I have repainted it twice. It came to me as a trashed out frame, oversprayed black with a rattle can, and with only the original headset and crank. I paid $100 bucks just for that.

Old 10-20-20, 01:25 PM
Gashepherd

Looks like bar wrap by home depot
Old 10-20-20, 02:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...they made and sold that bar padding for a while, I had it on a couple of bikes a long time ago. It was a higher density foam, and tapered at the ends. It does harden with age, though. It did a good job off cushioing, but made your contact with the bars a little less responsive. I think it went away after corked tape got a little more common and available.
Old 10-21-20, 09:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
Great buy!! As was said either flip it or ride it, either way you will be ahead on this one.
Old 10-26-20, 11:53 AM
Gashepherd

Originally Posted by bikemike73
Great bike !!!

Pretty rare bike. I would keep it. But I am more of a collector than some.

Congrats on a rare find !!!
Unfortunately, so am I, this is the first bike of this level that I've been able to find, although I do have a couple of nice miyatas and a pretty sweet team Fuji.Thanks - Gerry

Last edited by Gashepherd; 10-26-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 01:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
Gasheperd,
At a hundred I would keep it and wait for someone that has a larger one and needs your the frame size you have,,,no need to restore it, hang it and wait.
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-26-20 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 01:36 PM
Gashepherd

I just ran across this 74 Raleigh International listed at $1500, I was just wondering how much that dent in the top tube would devalue the the bike, it doesn't appear very serious but... It appears to be mostly correct except for the saddle and the bar end shifters

Last edited by Gashepherd; 10-26-20 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 04:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Gashepherd
I just ran across this 74 Raleigh International listed at $1500, I was just wondering how much that dent in the top tube would devalue the the bike, it doesn't appear very serious but... It appears to be mostly correct except for the saddle and the bar end shifters
...a Raleigh International in good cosmetic condition (without any dents in the tubes) is maybe a $500-600 bike here where I live, near Sacramento CA. One would need to be exceptional to break $800. For that kind of money you can buy some serious Italian steel in good shape.
Old 10-26-20, 08:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
The presented international is expensive - even if it did not have a dent.

the pro has a replacement seatpost and saddle. The saddle is ok, I do not care for those mega setback seatposts as all, seen too many break. Obviously the rider of this bike at one time was too Tall.

as a group set- even with the exchanged rear mech a probable deal- with a caveat - the bike is over 40 years old- good chance the bottom bracket has never been serviced- ditto for the headset and pedals- buy the tools or have it loosened up, cranks removed ( remove pedals too first) and clean and inspect. That way you know the status of everything.
if it does not fit, that is a great basis for a English threaded frame project. The frame and fork alone will easily yield a no cost to you plus cash toward a rewarding bike that fits
Old 10-30-20, 06:22 PM
Maxtoon 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is far too much money for a small framed International