Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road Terrain; Hills vs. Flats

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road Terrain; Hills vs. Flats

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 11:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
...Climbing 4,000 vertical feet in one constant grade is significantly more difficult than climbing forty 100-foot ripples...
Fact. If by "fact" I mean "I strongly concur within the limits of my experience." Which I do.

Most of my routes are roller coasters. A long continuous climb of more than 5% might be half a mile, tops, usually just a couple hundred yards. Comparing Strava logs, most of us here seem to have the same strategy -- sprint uphill, loaf but don't coast downhill. It's mostly interval training, lots of short bursts of high effort. Occasionally I'll flip it around and slog up the hills, conserving energy for the downhill sprints.

I have to ride about 30 miles west to find anything resembling a continuous climb, a 4% grade over a little more than a mile, ending in 7-9% peaklettes. There's a lot of climbing to get there, but it's still roller coasters. IIRC, there are no downhill bits, just a couple of short false flat plateau-ettes, just enough to give you hope and crush it immediately. Last time I tackled that climb was August 2017, temperature over 100F, and I haven't been motivated to try it again. I tried to mix it into a full century, my first in 30 years, and quit after 64 miles. Fortunately there was a heavy rain and 20 degree temperature drop the final 10-15 miles home, or I probably would have bailed and called Uber.

But, as with your preference for climbs over headwinds, I suspect a lot of it is a mental game. I'm accustomed to headwinds so it doesn't seem demoralizing. I'm not accustomed to long continuous climbs, so any climb longer than 400 yards begins to wear down my confidence. I begin to wonder whether I'm pacing myself properly. I begin to wonder whether I should have kept that 14-28 freewheel instead of the 13-24 or 13-25. I begin to wonder whether I should replace that 39T smaller chainring with a 38T, the smallest my old school steelie's 130 BCD crankset can handle. I begin to wonder whether I should just go ahead and pee because I'm not accustomed to leaning so far forward into the saddle and that fancypants cutout isn't really providing the promised pressure relief off my urethra.

But with a headwind I just zone out, zen out and chug along, knowing it ain't gonna stop, ever. And the return trip will be fun with the tailwind.
Old 01-19-19, 11:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by caloso
I bet at least half of my KOMs are tailwind assisted. Sorry, not sorry.
A friend who rides some of the same routes I do said most of his KOMs are tailwind assisted. He's still incredibly strong and would probably still hold most of those KOMs even in a time trial type scenario with all the strongest local cyclists riding the same day, time and conditions.

Even with tailwind assist I know my limits. I mean, besides being too danged old at 61 and not getting back into cycling until a few years ago. But my climbing is mediocre at best. And I can't spin in control faster than 130 rpm. Even that feels barely in control -- not dangerous, but inefficient. My form falls apart above 110 rpm. I video myself on the trainer or set up a camera along the roadside once in awhile to check my form and it helps a little. But even among fellow 60 y/o roadie enthusiasts I'm probably the weakest of the lot.

But I can't resist a good tailwind. The Strava stuff is just for jollies. It's a sheer blast to go faster than I normally could. Same reason I used to do foolish stuff like draft big trucks when I was in my teens and 20s (this was years before Breaking Away). And it does help with my form spinning above 110 rpm, because the indoor trainer can't emulate the road feel, trying to maintain not merely good form but avoiding crashing when the pavement gets ripply and rough.
Old 01-20-19, 12:15 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you can get a KOM around here without Mother Nature, you're either paid to ride, or mooched off of a bus/truck/etc. There's a slightly-downhill east-to-west segment ~4 miles long right near my house that I can take at threshold, and come up about two full minutes short of the KOM. Because I've never lucked into a 30mph talwind on it before... in a paceline of 10+. For all I know, they were behind a van as well.

As one of the racer-types at the LBS said, "Over a long enough time period, every KOM on Strava will be wind assisted."

You can be strong, but you'll never be as strong as the wind. I cover the same routes a whole lot. I can do 80 miles and pick up 1 PR. I have just twelve for all of 2019 so far. In December of 2018 I gathered 90. On December 28th, 20-25mph winds from the NNE pushed me from my home, 75 miles to the Pacific Ocean. I set 80 PRs, on segments I've crossed as many as 150 times. Which is double-edged, to be sure. Because now I can hit those segments at 24-25mph and... nothing. I've used up all my PRs on that stretch.
Old 01-20-19, 01:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yup, PRs get scarcer over time. We have to tackle new routes or take advantage of tailwinds.

Even with tailwinds over time everyone finds their niche based on ability. Even my few top tens are considerably slower than the top two or three cyclists. Eventually I'll scroll off the lists as more folks ride those routes and the gaps close between the KOM and rest of the top ten. On some heavily contested and popular segments it gets down to differences of a few seconds or a few tenths of mph.

I think my one KOM is on a neighborhood loop where wind assistance is negated on one side. But most of the Strava logs are folks puttering around on hybrids and cruisers. The speed limit is 20 mph and my best speed was 21 mph, so I quit going for a faster time on that route. Eventually someone else will take it but I don't want to be the pest who's using someone's quiet residential loop as a personal time trial route.

This year I'm working more on technique, avoiding joint wear and tear and injury, and consistency. I'm hoping that'll improve my climbing. So far, so good.
Old 01-20-19, 08:08 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I never understood the popularity of disc brakes when I lived in Nebraska.
Old 01-20-19, 09:21 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
As one of the racer-types at the LBS said, "Over a long enough time period, every KOM on Strava will be wind assisted."
Except for the ones on actual Mountains
Old 01-20-19, 11:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Fact. If by "fact" I mean "I strongly concur within the limits of my experience." Which I do.

Most of my routes are roller coasters. A long continuous climb of more than 5% might be half a mile, tops, usually just a couple hundred yards. Comparing Strava logs, most of us here seem to have the same strategy -- sprint uphill, loaf but don't coast downhill. It's mostly interval training, lots of short bursts of high effort. Occasionally I'll flip it around and slog up the hills, conserving energy for the downhill sprints.
If you're comparing a short 4% grade, to a long average 4% then yes. But 4000 feet is 4000 feet no matter how you split it up. When you climb that same amount, in the same overall time, it takes the same amount of power. I think, maybe, that you are thinking of the total time of the rollers, which includes down segments, to merely the top of the long climb which doesn't. The effort is distributed over a greater distance and therefore lower power. But that's only part of the picture. Including the downhill portion, if the circuit has taken the same time it's the same power.

To be clear a 4% average steady climb is 211 feet per mile in the climbing portion. Normally we think of 100 feet per mile as a decent climbing route. I often veer to hilly routes with 100-150 feet per mile so it's not as if there's no climbing here. When you cut out half of the miles, to compare only the first climbing portion, then compare it to 200 feet per mile in rolling hills, and that would be like for like.

None of this actually pertains to my opinion to OP that his riding flat ground is NOT harder than hilly routes, and it certainly does not change that opinion.
Old 01-20-19, 12:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Flat ground can absolutely be harder. Going 23mph on flat ground takes every bit as much effort as going 7mph up a 5% grade-- and there are no descents.

52.30 miles, 5,279ft vertical, weighted average power (Strava) 187W (raw power 166W,) training load 180, intensity 64%
82.29 miles, 1,619ft vertical, weighted average power (Strava) 187W (raw power 178W,) training load 188, intensity 64%
75.06 miles, 852ft vertical, weighted average power (Strava) 196W (raw power 186W,) training load 154, intensity 68%

The highest average power had the least elevation. You only work just over half the time on a hilly route. And you get to go a whoooole lot slower.
Old 01-20-19, 12:40 PM
wphamilton

Flat ground can absolutely be harder. Going 23mph on flat ground takes every bit as much effort as going 7mph up a 5% grade-- and there are no descents.

52.30 miles, 5,279ft vertical, weighted average power (Strava) 187W (raw power 166W,) training load 180, intensity 64%
82.29 miles, 1,619ft vertical, weighted average power (Strava) 187W (raw power 178W,) training load 188, intensity 64%
75.06 miles, 852ft vertical, weighted average power (Strava) 196W (raw power 186W,) training load 154, intensity 68%

The highest average power had the least elevation. You only work just over half the time on a hilly route. And you get to go a whoooole lot slower.
It's harder if you put out more power - there is no point in saying that.

If you want the same speed, the hilly route is always slower given the same power. There is some point in saying that at least.

Coasting doesn't make the hilly route easier than the flat route.
Old 01-20-19, 12:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by gregf83
Except for the ones on actual Mountains
Say you're climbing that long grade I mentioned earlier. Faster alone, or faster with a 20mph tailwind?

I have a local segment that gains just under 600 feet in about 5 and a half miles-- the steepest portion is nearly 8%. An afternoon of unseasonable wind go me to the end at nearly 2mph faster than my 2nd place effort-- and I've covered the segment 179 times.
Old 01-20-19, 12:58 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure where the OP is riding but here in California, if I ride on flat grounds at 18 MPH I can coast for 40-50 yards without pedaling.

If I ride up a local hill, riding at 7 MPH, if I stop pedaling I can coast for maybe 5 yards.

Comparing local centuries, if riding up hill is easier, I wonder why local climbing centuries struggle to fill 400 spots vs the 10,000 who participate in flat centuries like Palm Springs.

Centuries like this one are much tougher than the flat centuries.

As far as flat courses, yes you can make them hard depending on effort. I have held 23 MPH (actually 22.9 according to Strava) for 7.3 miles. But climbing a road like GMR 6% grade, I can hold 14 MPH for about 30 yards.

Old 01-20-19, 02:48 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Not crazy about flats nor severe inclines, either ascending or descending. Give me "rolling" every day of the week.
Old 01-20-19, 03:47 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Say you're climbing that long grade I mentioned earlier. Faster alone, or faster with a 20mph tailwind?

I have a local segment that gains just under 600 feet in about 5 and a half miles-- the steepest portion is nearly 8%. An afternoon of unseasonable wind go me to the end at nearly 2mph faster than my 2nd place effort-- and I've covered the segment 179 times.
All the bigger (600+m) climbs around here have switchbacks so wind is seldom a factor. The guys in the top 10 are all legit Pro/1/2 riders who don't need wind. Shorter climbs, sure wind will help but clearly not as much as on the flats.

I have a KOM on a 15km hwy segment on the way to work that I've ridden over 800 times in the last few years. Wind on that segment is rarely in the right direction but it was once and I was motivated so I managed a 30mph effort. It's not a popular route for group rides so the KOM will likely stand for a while.
Old 01-20-19, 03:58 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Funny I see posters talking about having KOM's on Strava. No way will I ever get close to KOM's on our local climbs.

These are the top guys on our local climbs, more than 13,500 cyclists.
Old 01-20-19, 08:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling

Funny I see posters talking about having KOM's on Strava. No way will I ever get close to KOM's on our local climbs.

These are the top guys on our local climbs, more than 13,500 cyclists.
Fair point. There are no real mountains here and only a few semi-serious hills or long roller coasters with elevation gain despite the plateaus and downhill sections. Some serious Strava folk say no mountain, no KOM.

I can barely hold 300 watts for a few minutes on a climb. My rides would never register anywhere near the top ten in areas with lots of cyclists. We have a local pro team but those guys usually hide their Strava logs so they don't appear, otherwise they'd hold pretty much every KOM and top ten.

Most of what passes for KOMs locally are actually sprint zones, and some are labeled as such.

The only segments I pay attention to are at least a mile, preferably longer, especially some circuits where wind effects are negated or balanced out over time. I created several of my own, set to private. They're just for me to evaluate myself over time. But they aren't mountains and despite some climbs, most elevation is zeroed out.
Old 01-20-19, 09:35 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
So this is interesting. Where I live I have nothing BUT hills. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have more flats to ride on. Never thought of how it would be difficult to go anywhere when not peddling.

So to the OP, now that you've ridden both which do you prefer?
Old 01-20-19, 11:58 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
Fair point.. We have a local pro team but those guys usually hide their Strava logs so they don't appear, otherwise they'd hold pretty much every KOM and top ten.

Even poor ole Levi Leipheimer is # 38 on this segment.

There was a dude that used to post on this forum way back 13 years ago that I know of. Jason, really super climber. He was #8 till the Tour of California came around. Now he's #138 . Those rotten pro's ruined it for all of us!
Old 01-21-19, 10:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Convivial Panda
Yeah, as noted above, over an hour is a good metric. You simply don't have adequate context due to lack of experience.
Or you may be weak or are not skinny.

The times uphill can easily be double for different abilities. Not so for flat land.

Don’t try to give people crap about how long a piece of string is.

I’ve been up anything from the 3min hills by my house to Mt Mitchell at the end of AOMM. Some French stuff also. When just starting out riding trying to improve my time up Paris Mtn.

An hour is getting well in Cat 1 and HC stuff for me. In France one Cat 2 was only 26min or so.

It is ability dependent. I’d say an hour at a hard pace is a stretch for the word “decent” or “real climb”. That’s more like “separate the men and boys”.

You can’t in good faith claim it takes a Cat 1 or HC just to be decent or real.

Old 01-21-19, 11:56 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Sorry to hear you live on flatland. I hope there are compensations. I don't like cycling on the flats because it's uninteresting. I like variations in elevation for the reasons you do. Plus, the scenery is more interesting in hilly or mountainous regions.
Old 01-21-19, 01:16 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yes, incessant Horrendous headwinds off the North Sea made up for being quite flat, on a few days, touring Holland..

Imagine, commuting into the 20 knot headwind after working all day , repeatedly..

eBike to the rescue
Old 01-21-19, 01:22 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What we need are windless flats with varying vegetation and pools & ponds nearby to keep it interesting
Old 01-21-19, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Sorry to hear you live on flatland. I hope there are compensations. I don't like cycling on the flats because it's uninteresting. I like variations in elevation for the reasons you do. Plus, the scenery is more interesting in hilly or mountainous regions.

That depends--sometimes, flat is because you're parallelling a river or other body of water that can be quite beautiful. Flats on a calm day are also lots of fun if you want to see just how fast you can make the bike go without gravity assist.

One thing I loved about living in the Bay Area is I could choose long rides that were flat OR climb up into the foothills all within a few miles of each other. Varying it up for my mood was pretty cool.
Old 01-21-19, 02:55 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Convivial Panda
It took you quite a while to build that straw man.
How about: I disagree with an hour and/or 4%. It’s too long and subjective. Also, how is his experience relative to a very subjective answer or topic? Maybe it shows your inexperience trying to answer a question that doesn’t have a one size fits all answer

Facts? Check the leaderboards for climbs. When you’ve got Cat 3 and 2 climbs where the slowest 10% are faster than an hour, an hour is too long.

I feel like there is a bit of snippy banter around this topic usually.

Typically the topic devolves into either claiming a mole hill can be a climb, or only the tallest HC climbs.

I’m out, we’ve reached saturation here. Close it down.

Old 01-21-19, 06:44 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

How about: I disagree with an hour and/or 4%. It’s too long and subjective. Also, how is his experience relative to a very subjective answer or topic? Maybe it shows your inexperience trying to answer a question that doesn’t have a one size fits all answer

My "experience" also is that I've seen the common answers to that question. Someone issues a strange claim that I'd change my mind if I only rode more, or differently, I think he needs to clarify because usually, in my experience, it otherwise spirals down to bragging about climbs.

For the record since my inexperience keeps popping up, I am moderately experienced in cycling with somewhere around 60,000 miles over about 10 years or so.
Old 01-21-19, 07:03 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So this is interesting. Where I live I have nothing BUT hills. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have more flats to ride on. Never thought of how it would be difficult to go anywhere when not peddling.

So to the OP, now that you've ridden both which do you prefer?
I prefer hills, not mountains. I'd like to gain about 1,000 feet on weekend rides with great scenery. The flats aren't scenic enough for me. That said, there are interesting rides along the Niagara River or intown. Lots of nice paths to ride early morning when no one is out. I think Vermont would be perfect. I think.??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.