Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recall: Pirelli P Zero Race TLR Tires - Bead Defect

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 03:27 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...se-bead-defect

Doesn't say what the bead defect is, but the recall covers 14,500 tires. My goodness, I wonder what they missed.
Old 09-08-23, 07:26 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...se-bead-defect

Doesn't say what the bead defect is, but the recall covers 14,500 tires. My goodness, I wonder what they missed.
Quality control that is why I never buy Pirelli tires for bikes. There are brands I will never advise to purchase.
Old 09-08-23, 10:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Psimet2001

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
The ;landscape is changing even over the timeframe this thread is from. I am working with a specific tire that I have been told will be formally recalled soon that will simply blow off most hookless rims if even taken to the max pressure listed on the sidewall. They're sitting there saying even 5-10psi over it has a good chance of resulting in a blow-off regardless. They're a major brand.

Some others at least test to 150% of the rated pressure but in these days off hookless the safety factors being used are near criminal if you ask me.

As for the original issue I agree with others that just soaping up the bead would help. otherwise I pull the valve core and inflate rapidly with high pressure from my compressor. If that doesn't work then I lower the pressure and hand-wrestle it into place or use tire pliers. https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...e-seater-pts-1
Old 09-08-23, 10:07 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Yup - I couldn't say anything at that point but now it's public.

I hate how its been covered - it's only a small run of tires and only an issue if running them on hookless rims. I bought the exact model off brand new stock no more than a month or so before we got the stop sale notice and even mine weren't affected by the recall. Hardest it will be the warehouses that held on to piles of them like Q and other large players who like to buy up all the tires and leave the rest of us with no access.

If you have any of the tires then refer to the exact model code and date code listed. If they fall into the range then take them back to the shop you bought them from (as I know everyone here buys their tires from local shops so that they don't have any hassles when this sort of thing comes up) or get in touch withthe online seller who sold them to you. If you ride hooked rims and already ran through the tire you had then you probably never noticed anything...

Old 09-09-23, 08:24 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Yet another reason to avoid hookless. I have a set of 28's that are replacements for when the current versions are done, luckily not the droids they are looking for. I been very happy with my Pirelli's and would have no issues buying again.