Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Friend Joins the Club

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Friend Joins the Club

Old 03-05-08, 10:38 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A Friend Joins the Club

A good friend of mine, who lives about 300 miles away, called me the other day. He is thinking about doing a triathlon and couldn't decide which bike to get. He had narrowed it down to a $179 Schwinn or a GMC Denali. When I said that neither one of those were a good choice, he made it clear he didn't want to pay $500 for a bike. I told him I had a bike he could borrow if he wanted to drive up here and get it. He insisted he wanted to pay for it. so we began negotiating on my 1989 Centurion. I started at $100 and he was at $400 I finally told him I would give it to him if he would put 1000 miles on it in the next year. I explained that he could never pay me enough cash for the amount of work I had put into that bike and the only way to compensate me for it was to ride the hell out of it.
He came to town today to pick it up. I zeroed out the odometer, showed him how to change a flat and demanded he also buy a helmet and tire changing tools. He left still exclaiming how beautiful and light the bike is. Hopefully, I won't be getting it back anytime soon.
Now I have an empty space in my garage What to do? What to do?
Old 03-05-08, 10:41 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice!
\/\/\/\/\/
Old 03-05-08, 10:57 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
Now I have an empty space in my garage What to do? What to do?
First, sign him up as a BF member. Show him this post. Tell him that the empty space in the garage is long gone, and he will just have to keep using the bike.

We expect to see photos of him riding the bike, too.

East Hill
Old 03-06-08, 02:08 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
good story!
Old 03-06-08, 06:24 AM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm only 60 miles away. Let me know next time you decide to clean your garage.

PS Ya done good!
Old 03-06-08, 07:33 AM
mrmw

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
A good friend of mine... He left still exclaiming how beautiful and light the bike is. Hopefully, I won't be getting it back anytime soon. Now I have an empty space in my garage What to do? What to do?
OH, this is an easy one.

1. Recover the past post and thread about how a BF member instructs his wife to be on the lookout for worthwhile C&V bikes when she goes to garage sales.

2. Mission your friend to return to you at least one garage sale queen--cost between $5 and $50.

3. Spend countless hours of therapeutic time returning that garage sale queen to its former glory.

4. repeat.
Old 03-06-08, 04:13 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McDave
I'm only 60 miles away. Let me know next time you decide to clean your garage.

PS Ya done good!
We would have to make it a lot more than 1000 miles. I do have an old Trek 820 that I have been planning on turning into a single speed for about a year now. Say 100 laps around Canyon Lake on the 35 lb. bike, nah.
Old 03-06-08, 07:03 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
good job! and a fair price. Although, i gotta admit, watching someone do a Tri in a GMC Denali would be fun. How was he planning to do the swim?
Old 03-06-08, 10:16 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
good job! and a fair price. Although, i gotta admit, watching someone do a Tri in a GMC Denali would be fun. How was he planning to do the swim?
Blue jeans
Old 03-06-08, 10:23 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I think I've mentioned this here before.... My wife started doing triathlons and duathlons (run, bike, run) a couple of years ago. I'd go and shoot some pictures and cheer. I saw lots and lots of women riding cross/comfort bikes. I just wanted to take them aside and say, "for under $200, I can make you 5 miles per hour faster!" Any 70 or 80's 10-speed is going to run circles around a comfort bike. If you go 5 miles per hour faster you are going to cut 15 minutes off your time! But I don't think they realize they don't have to spend $1000 to $5000 for a fast bike.

I know a guy in a nearby town who refurbs old 10-speeds. We're going to make up some cards and I am going to hand them out at the next couple of events to women riding inappropriate machines and see if I can drum him up some Tri business.
Old 03-08-08, 09:06 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay, I am really getting the itch. That empty space is really beginning to bother me. It must be filled. I am looking at a Miyata tomorrow.
Old 03-08-08, 09:14 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Okay, I am really getting the itch. That empty space is really beginning to bother me. It must be filled. I am looking at a Miyata tomorrow.
That didn't take long .

East Hill
Old 03-08-08, 09:22 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.
Old 03-08-08, 09:36 PM
green814
Sneaky Fast....

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmw
OH, this is an easy one.

1. Recover the past post and thread about how a BF member instructs his wife to be on the lookout for worthwhile C&V bikes when she goes to garage sales.
I am SLOWLY convincing my wife to stop at any & all S.Army & thrift stores as she works. She pretty much covers the whole lower part of Mi. for work. Wonder if I could slowly add the G. Sales in there as well!

I am sure You can fill the spce on your own though! Congrats on the great gift!

Chris
Old 03-09-08, 06:31 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
I think I've mentioned this here before.... My wife started doing triathlons and duathlons (run, bike, run) a couple of years ago. I'd go and shoot some pictures and cheer. I saw lots and lots of women riding cross/comfort bikes. I just wanted to take them aside and say, "for under $200, I can make you 5 miles per hour faster!" Any 70 or 80's 10-speed is going to run circles around a comfort bike. If you go 5 miles per hour faster you are going to cut 15 minutes off your time! But I don't think they realize they don't have to spend $1000 to $5000 for a fast bike.

I know a guy in a nearby town who refurbs old 10-speeds. We're going to make up some cards and I am going to hand them out at the next couple of events to women riding inappropriate machines and see if I can drum him up some Tri business.
I am not sure it is the bikes that makes them ride like that. My neighbor does triathalons, so sometimes I see her ride past the house on a training ride. She recently got a new expensive tri bike, but she rides it just as slow as the women on the comfort bikes.
Old 03-20-08, 11:33 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My friend called me yesterday. He is up to 10 miles a day and loving it. I guess I won't be getting this bike back anytime soon.
The only thing standing in the way of him reaching my goal is his LBS. He went down there to buy a helmet and the tools, etc. that he needs. They proceeded to put a big push for him to get an OCR3.
I think I convinced him that would not be a good idea. I told him to wait until after his triathlon and then decide if he wanted to get a modern bike. Because if he did decide to really get into this sport he would be trying to unload that OCR3 for something nicer a lot sooner than he would want to get rid of the Dave Scott. They are trying to convince him that it is too much trouble to reach down to shift the downtube shifters. They don't mention that in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, you only have to shift at stop signs and turns. The biggest hill for 200 miles is the causeway to South Padre Island.
Old 03-20-08, 11:46 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
It was too much trouble for merckx, lemond, hampten, all those guys. They would of killed for a giant ocr3.
Old 03-20-08, 11:51 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
I started at $100 and he was at $400
This post really needs to be in P&R since it completely undermines the basic assumptions of the Chicago school of free market economists. Anyway good jod on getting your friend riding on a decent bike.