Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"I enjoy riding a good-looking bike much more than an ugly one..." quoth Kroozer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"I enjoy riding a good-looking bike much more than an ugly one..." quoth Kroozer

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 09:36 AM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Deep in the second page of the "Talk me out of this" thread (a naked appeal for help from C&V Addicts Anonymous in avoiding more binge buying), the estimable Kroozer made the observation that he preferred to ride a good-looking bike.

I have to agree with this. In fact, this is a major rationale for this forum.

In spite of all the love for "patina" professed by many here, there lurks in us an appreciation for the beauty of bright chrome, unblemished paint and undamaged decals. Like Kroozer, I much prefer to ride bikes I consider pretty. I have a couple of less well-preserved bikes which I love as much as the beauties, but I do feel different riding a stunner.

How about you?
Old 11-12-11, 10:06 AM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like both equally. Can't explain why. Showroom has a beauty all its own, and I'm willing to take small steps to maintain that--chiefly waxing the paint finish once a year (my dad taught me to do that with my bicycles). I also use touch up paint.

Pretty bikes look great in photos, and with the advent of the internet, I see a large part of this hobby, as expressed on this forum, is showing each other how pretty our bikes are in beautiful photos, with bikes leaned against farm fences, sunsets in the background, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but I see a tilt toward a higher level of concern over appearance. Since where I am--central Ohio--not too many people appreciate vintage bikes, I also get a kick out of people here saying my bike looks nice.

The first scratch is the hardest.

I also appreciate patina--beausage seems to be the new buzzword--especially if it's the result of my own use of the bike. It tells stories. It's also a reflection of me--I'm older and a bit beat up myself.

You write that you prefer to ride bike a good-looking bike. Here's where I see it differently. When I'm riding, I barely think about the bike, as long as nothing's going wrong with it. It's when I'm off that I'm ogling.
Old 11-12-11, 10:09 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
no question about it. no borderline paintjobs for me. i've even had compliments on my beater bike. not that they were justified, but hey.

my personal appearance is another matter.
Old 11-12-11, 10:13 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
An attractive paint scheme always gets the most attention.

Bling is fun. But I equally like flying under the radar.

From time to time I end up at a stop where a gaggle of club riders have stopped. Always get the "how old is that?" Inquiry. Most of the time I can answer, "older than you". Every once in a while I inquire, "will that rig last 40 years"?
Old 11-12-11, 10:23 AM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
I like bikes that look old, so no NOS frames for me, simply because they look too new.

Here's my idea of patina:

Old 11-12-11, 10:29 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
I like fresh, correctly appointed road bicycles when I am out and about.

Most often, folks comment on my twenty year old De Rosa. They can't believe how old the bicycle is, and its nice appearance.

So, I'm not in the, "rusty paint and decals" falling off camp.

My mtbs are another story though, as my Bob Brown looks like it fell off the back of a truck on the freeway.

A muddy, dented mess that is super fun down at the river bottoms.
Old 11-12-11, 10:32 AM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My bike is cooler than me.
Cooler than most folks. Those are gorgeous.

Not knocking original finishes at all. All but two of my bikes are wearing their original paint and two of those are in considerably worse shape than the ones above. Just curious how people feel while riding (rather than when photographing or admiring) the jewels of their collection.
Old 11-12-11, 10:34 AM
devinfan

Originally Posted by aixaix
Cooler than most folks. Those are gorgeous.

Not knocking original finishes at all. All but two of my bikes are wearing their original paint and two of those are in considerably worse shape than the ones above. Just curious how people feel while riding (rather than when photographing or admiring) the jewels of their collection.
Thanks - I wish they were mine! They're not, they're just bikes I like.
Old 11-12-11, 10:35 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
My favorite riders also look pretty nice on the road. I find it tough not to be swayed by the aesthetics and overall "look" of a bike, but the way it feels when I ride it is still the most important factor. Great ride and great looks are a winning combination for me.
Old 11-12-11, 10:36 AM
bobbycorno

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I like to LOOK at pretty, well maintained bikes, but when I'm riding I couldn't care less what my bike looks like. It's all about ride and handling, AFAIAC. Truth be told, I wouldn't want an all-original or period-correct-resto bike, 'cause I'd feel guilty about my (non-) maintenance schedule: ride, lube the chain on occasion, wash it if it's totally filthy, and make sure everything still works. Oh, and vintage gearing SUCKS for an old fart like me who still likes to climb mountains, but can't handle a 42/21 on anything steeper than about 3%.

SP
Bend, OR
...seriously lovin' my rattlecanned '84 Trek 650b conversion
Old 11-12-11, 10:44 AM
chi-james

Bikes: team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fresh paint and shiny chrome do not always = handsome. There's a definite beauty to the distressed look.
Old 11-12-11, 10:58 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
In fact, this is a major rationale for this forum.
Incorrect.

In fact, if you want a shiny bike, the easiest route is buying a new bike.

And while I own a shiny new bike (it's purdy), I appreciate my bikes with patina more. They have history. They have experience.

I'd recommend for you reading Art as Experience by John Dewey. Through that, you will find the true rationale why humans have connections with objects and why your perspective of disliking patina is only relevant to yourself.
Old 11-12-11, 11:13 AM
devinfan

iab I'll take you up on that and read it, it sounds very interesting.
Old 11-12-11, 11:27 AM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Incorrect. In fact, if you want a shiny bike, the easiest route is buying a new bike.
Shiny doesn't equal good looking.

I don't think it is going out on a limb to say that the major part of the appeal of C&V bikes is aesthetic. Virtually all of us agree that an original or well restored old bike is a pleasure to look at. However, we ride these things. What I am asking is: does riding a beautiful bike make you feel differently than riding a beater?

As another poster pointed out, he has a bike that does river bottoms and looks awful. For that kind of thing, a beautiful bike would detract from the experience because he'd be worried about ruining it. Many people have reservations about riding "perfect" bikes at all for fear of scratching them. However, for me and others, there is a good feeling associated with riding a beautiful bicycle that has nothing to do with ride quality.

BTW, I don't dislike signs of use on a bike (patina), and don't equate a few scratches with ugliness. Beauty is not the same as perfection.
Old 11-12-11, 11:37 AM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
I like to LOOK at pretty, well maintained bikes, but when I'm riding I couldn't care less what my bike looks like. It's all about ride and handling, AFAIAC.

Not with me it aint. I like my bikes looking good all the time. I take pride in being a road cyclist and busting my tail on training rides, and want to look good doing it. Both my road bikes are classics and in great shape, and since this is my hobby that I like to show pride in, then my equipment is going to reflect it.

yep
Old 11-12-11, 11:41 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Pretty is as pretty does and although a clean paint job and shiny chrome and alloy parts are attractive, I forget about these things when I am riding and the bike is under me.

There is a certain charm in well worn but smooth running bicycles...

The Lenton is 57 years old... it was a daily driver for most of it's life and you would be hard pressed to find a smoother ride than this.

Old 11-12-11, 11:46 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
I don't think it is going out on a limb to say that the major part of the appeal of C&V bikes is aesthetic. Virtually all of us agree that an original or well restored old bike is a pleasure to look at. However, we ride these things. What I am asking is: does riding a beautiful bike make you feel differently than riding a beater?
What eactly makes you think the appeal of any object isn't aesthetic? Did you go out and buy an ugly couch recently?

And you don't define anything. What exactly is a "well restored bike"? I've got a bike that is missing 40% of its nickel plate. Never been restored. I did remove the rust. Is that "well restored" in your book?

Again, I can buy a modern steel bike that needs no restoration and would be exactly what you would consider good looking. Certainly has a vintage aesthetic. Certainly easier than doing a restoration.

Your definition of beauty is just that, yours. It is personal and irrelevant to your question.

If you are asking, do I enjoy riding a bike I like more than a bike that I dislike. Well, duh.

Are you asking are some bikes are suited for one type of riding over another. Well, duh.

If you are asking if I enjoy riding a bike that you would consider ugly, why exactly would I give a crap. Are you the arbiter of what I can and cannot like?
Old 11-12-11, 11:49 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seek a certain aesthetic with my bikes. Once achieved, I take pictures, and then I go ride the thing into the ground. I will always treat a bike respectfully and maintain the mechanical parts to work like new, but I don't like things being too new. There must be something wrong with me, because I like to see very nice things, like high end bikes and cars being flogged on relentlessly. As much as I like a 71 Camaro with a $6000 paint job and not a speck of dust anywhere on it, I prefer a slightly worn original paint job car that's seen some track time, or gets opened up on a semi-regular basis. I love the look of Cat 2/3 racer's bikes for instance, they are usually top of the line bikes with high end parts, that are ridden in all kinds of conditions, crashed, and generally not babied. The main focus of those riders, is that it works and fits well. Sometimes the saddle has tape on it, sometimes their crankset is made by a different manufacturer than the rest of the group, they have a different wheel/tire on the back as they do on the front, or the stem doesn't match the seatpost. It's all good.
Old 11-12-11, 11:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
The bike I like riding the most is my Specialized Junker II...

The bike I like the most is my Legnano Gran Premio II...

The bike I want the most is a Mariposa but I have never even seen one in the flesh, so to speak.
Old 11-12-11, 11:54 AM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
After the first 5 min, I forget what it looks like!

I love new, bright , shinny bikes! But it has to fit and work.
Old 11-12-11, 12:02 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer this...I do love looking at a beautiful bike and I like clean paint and intact decals, but I also think an older bike with some weathering does have character. As far as "look at me!", the bike I ride that gets the most stares is the Schwinn triple, and as you've seen, that has quite a bit of "character". It's beautiful in its own way. Part of me prefers buying bikes with imperfections because I feel less worried about scratching them. Sometimes I do get stressed about the Marnati being clean, where I don't worry about it with some of the less perfect rides. I think, generally, road/racing bikes look better shiny while cruisers/3speeds and the like look better with some dirt. Nothing looks sillier than a clean MTB.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I don't think there's anything less attractive than damaged chrome...but there are some here who love pitted chrome and think it shows soul. What I love best is a bike with a broken in, worn Brooks that just eats up the road funk.

This is still pretty, rust, pitting and all:

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-12-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-12-11, 12:11 PM
chi-james

Bikes: team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah, I remember that book from 1st year of fArt school.
Originally Posted by iab
Incorrect.

In fact, if you want a shiny bike, the easiest route is buying a new bike.

And while I own a shiny new bike (it's purdy), I appreciate my bikes with patina more. They have history. They have experience.

I'd recommend for you reading Art as Experience by John Dewey. Through that, you will find the true rationale why humans have connections with objects and why your perspective of disliking patina is only relevant to yourself.
Old 11-12-11, 01:08 PM
devinfan

Originally Posted by randyjawa
The bike I like riding the most is my Specialized Junker II...

The bike I like the most is my Legnano Gran Premio II...

The bike I want the most is a Mariposa but I have never even seen one in the flesh, so to speak.
See Randy? The bike you like the most is your Legnano, and you have a lot of bikes. Now why would you want to go and paint it?
Old 11-12-11, 01:21 PM
chi-james

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
perty, very very

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Pretty is as pretty does and although a clean paint job and shiny chrome and alloy parts are attractive, I forget about these things when I am riding and the bike is under me.

There is a certain charm in well worn but smooth running bicycles...

The Lenton is 57 years old... it was a daily driver for most of it's life and you would be hard pressed to find a smoother ride than this.

Old 11-12-11, 01:23 PM
Creme Brulee

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like that tree is jealous of your allez, tryna grab it from you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.