Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fat Chance Build Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fat Chance Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 08:02 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
@Padgett do those brake levers take the no longer produced oversized brake cables? I have a couple sets of them and like the way they feel but using regular cables in them sketches me out a bit, especially since a cable end on a thin, modern cable broke off on me at one point and left me without rear brakes. Curious to hear how you solved that.
Old 11-10-20, 03:50 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 212 Posts
Both the Nitto bars (Bosco and Albatross) are very swept back; the Bosco's almost perpendicular to the clamp and the Albatross with a bit more flare.
The cheap cruiser bars I mounted on my purple Goose look to have similar width and rise as the Bosco's but much more flare.
Old 11-12-20, 10:32 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
@Padgett do those brake levers take the no longer produced oversized brake cables? I have a couple sets of them and like the way they feel but using regular cables in them sketches me out a bit, especially since a cable end on a thin, modern cable broke off on me at one point and left me without rear brakes. Curious to hear how you solved that.
These take the standard mtb cable. I am not familiar with the oversized cable you mentioned. After looking into that cable, these are definitely designed for the standard, modern sized cable. Good thought though, I never considered that cable. Brakes on this bike feel so good. I am not sure if its the massive levers or what but this bike has great stopping power compared to other bikes I have ridden.
Likes For Padgett:
Old 11-12-20, 10:41 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Both the Nitto bars (Bosco and Albatross) are very swept back; the Bosco's almost perpendicular to the clamp and the Albatross with a bit more flare.
The cheap cruiser bars I mounted on my purple Goose look to have similar width and rise as the Bosco's but much more flare.
Nice setup. looks like a good compromise, especially if you are running shifters like yours. Bar ends wouldn't too be happy here.
Old 11-13-20, 09:48 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Padgett
Nice setup. looks like a good compromise, especially if you are running shifters like yours. Bar ends wouldn't too be happy here.
Yes agreed, bar ends wouldn't work well with this set up.
Old 12-03-20, 10:56 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Lots of love for these bikes!!! I love what you've done to rescue this!