Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Training and Racing with Power Meters and other computers

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Training and Racing with Power Meters and other computers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 01:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Carlton, life is too short for bad data! Doubly true at 60, you feel like there aren't too many years left where it will even be worth recording I'll check out the app for sure, appreciate the tip.
Amen!

If you want a free promo code, let me know.

As for averaging I agree to an extent. What is displayed is averaged depending on how you set up the head unit. But I've never seen recorded "raw" 1s data look like this. Same head unit (Garmin 510) or an alternate (Powertap Joule) with PT hub or Quarq does not look at all like this.
Yeah, it could be how they are processing the data for display. My guess is that they have some abnormally high and low values coming through in the raw feed and they deal with it by either ignoring them or averaging them into the feed. This way a roadie won't see a max cadence of 200RPM when the wonky cadence sensor did a double-tap and recorded 100RPM as 200RPM.

IF the data is reliable and accurate, trackies want to see the the spike because it only happens once during a flying 200M for example.

life is too short for bad data!
Somebody make that into a t-shirt!
Old 06-29-16, 10:34 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Amen!

If you want a free promo code, let me know.
Picked up the app last night, looks like some useful stuff in there. Now if I just had some decent data to put in the TT Simulator... No freebie necessary, I enjoy paying people for their work, it's good karma!

On the plus side I received a follow up email from Power2Max today. At least acknowledging that this is an issue with their Track meter and something they are looking at. No timeline or details yet, but it will be interesting to see what they come back with.
Old 06-29-16, 12:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Picked up the app last night, looks like some useful stuff in there. Now if I just had some decent data to put in the TT Simulator... No freebie necessary, I enjoy paying people for their work, it's good karma!

On the plus side I received a follow up email from Power2Max today. At least acknowledging that this is an issue with their Track meter and something they are looking at. No timeline or details yet, but it will be interesting to see what they come back with.
Thanks! I created the Simulator to deal with all of the "What if" scenarios that we all come across when we start analyzing data. Like, "What if I were able to spin 3rpm faster.", "What happens if I use a bigger/smaller tire?", "What cadence do I have to average to ride my ideal 4K...including the ramp-up time from the start til when I get to my cruising speed?"
Old 05-23-18, 12:04 AM
carleton
Elitist

Wahoo issues:

I wrote some of this in a different thread, but I figured it belongs here.

I hooked up my Wahoo Ticker (ANT+ / Bluetooth HR monitor) to the iPhone app today. The app updated the firmware of the HR monitor. I placed it in my two hands to test and it worked...then I set the HR strap on the table as I cleaned my bike and apparently it registered a ghost's HR between 134 and 146 BPM! It did this for several minutes! Not sure if I can trust this thing, hahaha

I hooked up the Wahoo Bluetooth speed/cadence sensor to my road bike. Basic tests in the house proved OK.

I went on an easy spin road ride and got some very stupid data.

After I packed up the bike, I left my HR monitor on and accidentally left the app running. When I realized a few miles down the road, I turned it off. I figured that, at most, it simply recorded my HR as I drove. NOPE. Apparently, I averaged a perfect 30 RPM as I drove down the road as well.

Other notes:
- It samples every 1 seconds.
- There is a one minute stretch where it recorded 480 RPM constantly.
- Apparently, my bike was spinning at 30 RPM while in the trunk when I was in the parking lot of the fish market.
- Even though I have a speed / cadence sensor, apparently if it's not sending any data, the app uses satellite GPS to get speed. Not what I expect...it's stupid. In the app settings, I dictate that I want speed to come from the speed / cadence sensor as opposed to GPS.
- The HR values seemed to be accurate.

At this point, it's halfway in the trash. I'm gonna give the system one more try.

Last edited by carleton; 05-23-18 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Every 1 second, not 5.
Old 05-23-18, 01:33 AM
carleton
Elitist

If my findings above are accurate, then it would seem that Wahoo is trying to eliminate gaps in data records by doing some educated guessing (fudging of the numbers).

I'd rather have no numbers than fake numbers. No numbers are a red flag and indicate a problem with the telemeters. Fake data hides the problems.

I could easily see this as some product owner's decision to make the tools more palatable to non-tech savvy users in an "It just works!" fashion.

I really hope I'm wrong and simply had a bad data day. It was raining. Maybe that had something to do with it (I don't think so, though).
Old 05-23-18, 09:52 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
is there a setting that controls that? It sounds like you're describing the Garmin setting of "smart recording." Maybe Wahoo has something similar - that you can control.
Old 05-23-18, 12:37 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
is there a setting that controls that? It sounds like you're describing the Garmin setting of "smart recording." Maybe Wahoo has something similar - that you can control.
Yeah...I think it was off. There is an option tp get speed from the sensor or GPS. I chose sensor. Maybe it fails over to GPS?
Old 05-24-18, 06:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Did another bike trail ride with the Wahoo system on my road bike.

Result: More dubious data.

There was a period when I stopped to take a long phone call. Even though I set the system to only record speed from the sensor and I was not moving, it still recorded speed (like 0.5mph).

Speed:
Oh well. It's going into the parts bin.

I also had my Apple Watch on as well. Set it for an Outdoor Cycling workout. The watch (paired with my iPhone) recorded my calories, time, HR (without a strap, uses skin at wrist), distance, and location on the map.

The Wahoo app writes data to the Apple Health app.
- The distance traveled was off by 0.04miles
- The avg HR between the two was identical.
- The avg speed was off by 0.2mph

At this point, I'd rather use that for road rides (for fitness). I'm only losing Cadence data.

I think I'm more chapped by the fact that the Wahoo app uses satellite data even when I set it not to. I could disable location services, but I want that on to get the map.

Wahoo, you are the darling of the fitness telemetry world...don't screw up!!!

Last edited by carleton; 05-24-18 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 09:58 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
LOOK and SRM partnering to make pedal based PM.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/05/29/loo...-meter-pedals/
Old 05-31-18, 05:05 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice