Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bikemate work stand at Aldi for $30 right now!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bikemate work stand at Aldi for $30 right now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 07:07 PM
QuoVadis

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked one up for 19.99 @ Milford, MA store today. There were 2 more left.

Before reading this, I have never heard of Aldi before and didn't think they would exist in MA - there are 4 stores!!
Old 06-12-17, 07:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Never heard of Aldi before. Turns out there are two near me. Gonna check 'em out this week.
Old 06-26-17, 05:12 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I was in Aldis's tonight they had one stand left beat up box, no price, one of the workers walked by and asked if I needed a price on it I said yes . She came back at $11.99 I told my wife the box looked rough . Worker got on her radio then said how about $7.99 ? I have one but can't pass up a back up for $8
Roy
Old 06-27-17, 06:49 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Used mine for the first time yesterday

Worth every bit of the $29.99 + tax which is to say it ain't a Park.

Feels quite flimsy compared to my old faithful, but would do in a pinch. I wanted something for the garage to make it easy to oil the chain, fix a flat, or other simple jobs so I wouldn't need to carry the bike to the basement and it works for this purpose. It also folds up nice and flat/small so easy to store in the corner.

Also, I sometimes pick up bikes just for parts, strip them down, and put the frame or other unusable parts out at the curb where they are quickly pickup by the metal scavengers. Again, no need to go to the basement.

No complaints for the money.
Old 06-27-17, 04:40 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
You don't have to extend the legs all the way out. I set mine up with legs like at 45deg or maybe even more like 60, and it was plenty stable, with an unobtrusive footprint.

Here's a parallel thread about the Aldi stands, if anybody wants to go read there as well.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...d-39-29-a.html
Old 07-20-17, 01:14 PM
pakman
ad hoc bicyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the local Aldi store and now the stand id $10.00 . Time to buy one
Old 07-20-17, 08:38 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I picked up two of them for $20 each two weeks ago. I tried three Aldi's before I found a store that still had them in stock.

I'm real happy with the stand for the money. My new bike has hydraulic disc brakes, and because of the hydraulics Shimano specifically recommends against turning the bike upside down. So a stand is pretty much a must for me.
Old 06-09-18, 06:33 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Here's a strange ad from the Free section of the local CL:

https://richmond.craigslist.org/zip/...608666927.html

FREE Aldi bicycle repair stand /work stand (Bellwood)

make / manufacturer: Bikemate
model name / number: repair stand
My Aldi Bikemate workstand needs a good home. For an inexpensive stand it is very stable, sturdy and works well. There are lots of reviews on the web, and I am very happy with it. Folds up easily and takes up little space when not in use. E-mail is the best way to reach me. I am in a motel on Willis Rd. at I-95.
Old 06-09-18, 12:32 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I feel like I've replied to this thread already, but I can't find my post.

Anyway, I managed to talk the Aldi store manager on eastern Long Island down to either $13 or $16 (don't remember exactly) for one of these last summer. It's sturdy enough to work on children's bikes, but it doesn't hold my steel 26" mountain bike very well unless I set it at a bizarre angle. I'm glad now that I didn't buy up the whole lot of seven that were on the shelf.
Old 06-09-18, 02:09 PM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
For those who obviously don't know, ALDI and also another, similar German store, LIDL, do things the way they do to be able to keep prices low. They are almost like a warehouse. The produce is great and everything is good quality. It's German, after all. Plus, the fact that a lot of their hardware hasa 2-3 year guarantee.

Fancy LED signs, meet and greet at the front door, and all that other crap that you get when you visit other stores costs money. It's all smoke and mirrors anyway. Sweden and a lot of other European countries have similar stores to ALDI/LIDL. The other good thing is that employees get a wage above minimum wage. Bet they don't get that at Walmart.

A U.K resident.
Old 06-09-18, 02:18 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I feel like I've replied to this thread already, but I can't find my post.

Anyway, I managed to talk the Aldi store manager on eastern Long Island down to either $13 or $16 (don't remember exactly) for one of these last summer. It's sturdy enough to work on children's bikes, but it doesn't hold my steel 26" mountain bike very well unless I set it at a bizarre angle. I'm glad now that I didn't buy up the whole lot of seven that were on the shelf.
Amazing that an over one year old thread has so much traction...
Old 06-09-18, 05:46 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by migrantwing
For those who obviously don't know, ALDI and also another, similar German store, LIDL, do things the way they do to be able to keep prices low. They are almost like a warehouse. The produce is great and everything is good quality. It's German, after all. Plus, the fact that a lot of their hardware hasa 2-3 year guarantee....
AND many of them have an entire wall of imported chocolates priced so reasonably that you can't walk out of there without at least half-a-cart full of them!
Old 06-10-18, 08:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It would have been nice if that stand had a holder for your chocolates.
Old 06-11-18, 02:24 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
I wouldn't trust it to keep standing for anything that needs heavy torque , bottom brackets etc
When doing up BBs, I brace against a frame tube rather than relying on the stand to do it, and if having to put bulk torque in like removing a stubborn BB, you're much better off putting the bike on the floor (perhaps even upside down), no matter how good your stand is.

Originally Posted by leob1
Clamping my heavy, 30 lbs, 29er by the seat post I couldn't get the clamp tight enough that the bike was level with the ground, the front wheel drooped. This shouldn't be an issue with lighter bikes. Whom ever came up with the prop rod to hold the handle bars should be given a good sized bonus, simple but effective.
Why do you need the bike to be level, unless you're fitting a rack? The prop rod is a neat idea, but not as neat an idea as just clamping the bike with the head tube a tad past plumb so the bars stay put.
Old 06-11-18, 08:48 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
The horizontal pipe & clamp that hold the bike rotate because the pipe and clamp surfaces are very smooth and don't grip.
The paint finish actually looks to be a good quality (and smooth) powder coat, which in this case is working against the clamp.
Take the pipe out of the clamp and hit it with some fine to medium sandpaper to rough up the finish, do the same to the inside of the clamp.
That should fix the issue for all but the heaviest bikes,
Old 06-12-18, 12:16 PM
mild steel

Bikes: GT Nomad and Timberline, Super Sport, Le Tours, Bauer city stainless oldtimer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got mine last month, it is indeed a deal

It is extremely solid and steady, but the clamping mechanism is undersized and flimsy. Although heavy-ish, it collapses unto itself and is easily taken down the stairs so I will use it for cleaning and painting and other tasks I want to perform outside. It was a real PIA to drag the cumbersome Park PCS10 down there. That clamp will be the failure point eventually, but with careful use it will be servicable for a good long time.
Old 06-12-18, 12:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
The Aldi I go to seems to have happy employees, and is clean and bright and pretty new. Actually, they seem to have almost no employees, I don't recall encountering any working in the aisles when shopping, just the checker on the way out
Old 06-12-18, 02:34 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the LIDL version for 30 euros
https://dirtmountainbike.com/gear/ge...r-stand-29-99/

Works ok for me but i use it on light bikes and for general cleaning. It's not for torquing BB's but good enough for occasional maintenance.
Old 06-29-18, 02:38 PM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
At ALDI stores, they do everything. If there's no one in store, they go and do stock, when someone comes in, someone goes to a till. It's non stop, but the wage is quite good compared to other supermarket stores.
Old 08-08-21, 06:48 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 759 Posts
Reviving a dormant thread. I bought a Bikemate repair stand a few years ago, perhaps because of this thread. I took it to our vacation home thinking i'd use it there on occasion when I had bike trouble. I then promptly forgot about it. Never even opened the package.

I stumbled on it recently and brought it home. I set it up today. I was impressed. The Bikemate has a five legged base, a small tool tray with an embedded magnet, a handlebar bar stabilizer, and a screw type clamp, so you won't crush your thin walled steel tubing or carbon fiber frame. I think it will replace my Park repair stand.

Old 08-08-21, 07:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
It's been a couple years since I've seen any of these at my local Aldi. Disappointing, since I want to send one to my son in Seattle for a housewarming gift. No Aldis in Seattle, as far as I can tell.
Old 08-08-21, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Reviving a dormant thread. I bought a Bikemate repair stand a few years ago, perhaps because of this thread. I took it to our vacation home thinking i'd use it there on occasion when I had bike trouble. I then promptly forgot about it. Never even opened the package.

I stumbled on it recently and brought it home. I set it up today. I was impressed. The Bikemate has a five legged base, a small tool tray with an embedded magnet, a handlebar bar stabilizer, and a screw type clamp, so you won't crush your thin walled steel tubing or carbon fiber frame. I think it will replace my Park repair stand.

Nice Serrota, please don't damage it and clamp it in the stand by the seatpost the part on the bike designed to be clamped. If it is really not a favored bike send it my way and I will cherish it. I know it might just be light clamping but still the seatpost is made for clamping and having to loosen it is good you can check for grease and make sure it isn't seized.
Old 08-09-21, 05:35 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Nice Serrota, please don't damage it and clamp it in the stand by the seatpost the part on the bike designed to be clamped.
That's the advantage of the screw clamp. You can provide only as much pressure as necessary to hold the bike in place. In this case, the clamp is just barely touching the tube.
Old 08-09-21, 05:38 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
It's been a couple years since I've seen any of these at my local Aldi. Disappointing, since I want to send one to my son in Seattle for a housewarming gift. No Aldis in Seattle, as far as I can tell.
I see new ones advertised on eBay. Not for $30, but still inexpensive. I'm sure they are around, even if no longer at Aldi.
Old 08-09-21, 06:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
That's the advantage of the screw clamp. You can provide only as much pressure as necessary to hold the bike in place. In this case, the clamp is just barely touching the tube.
I know but still I worry! It is such a nice bike : )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.