Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone feel like they need to rain on my car-lite parade?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Why does everyone feel like they need to rain on my car-lite parade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 12:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155

i will accept that. Still I contend few if anyone gives a thought to you being a curiosity. I have been to far too many community meetings inside and outside of the city to believe anyone but other cyclists notice or care much about bicycle commuting. If someone is going to rain on the OPs parade it will not come from the outside.

Of the several hundred people I come in contact with every week only other cyclists, or former cyclists, know I ride a bicycle. That is just how society is.
I'm glad you know "how society is." But perhaps there is no single homogeneous society.

I note that you are in SoCal, and you believe that only other cyclists and former cyclists know that you ride a bike. But my locale is the polar opposite of yours. I am one of only a couple cyclists here, and am probably on the road as much as the other few combined. Lest you think it is my imagination, I will mention that, very regularly, a friend or acquaintance will say something like, "Hey, were you riding your bike up Hadley Street yesterday afternoon? I think I saw you." Happens all the time. And occasionally a stranger, or new acquaintance, will ask if I'm the person they have seen riding bikes all the time.

At any rate, I regret joining this thread, as I now have people telling me that my own experiences and perceptions are wrong. So I'll drop out at this point.
Old 06-14-18, 10:12 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Some people (not all, but some) who drive cars everywhere just cannot understand or accept others who choose different modes of transport.
Any who'd think like that must be non-conformists in NYC... or, are on a bike forum~
Old 06-14-18, 02:58 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Another one of those threads where the OP steps back and hasn't been seen in almost three weeks on the site. I assume thou winnest.
Old 06-24-18, 12:52 PM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
I live in the eastern side of Washington where fortunately we have a rich bike culture. However I life car free and with our 4 true seasons I get the fair share of looks and questions. Been car free and bike dependent for about 4 years solid...dont wanna change lol
Old 07-04-18, 11:16 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I think it must also depend on where you live. In the Bay Area, being car lite or car free is no big deal. Probably true in NY and other major cities with good public transit.
And don't have to deal with bad weather 4 months or more a year. Summer is here and it's awful as usual in the mid atlantic.

And in car land people know who I am, and that is in a busy suburb with cars everywhere and barely a trickle of cyclists.

Last edited by StarBiker; 07-04-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-04-18, 11:39 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Just let them think whatever they want to; they will anyway. I stopped at a convenience store on my way to work yesterday, and an older gal - perfect stranger - was going on about the perfect weather making it possible for a bike ride. I didn't disabuse her of her assumptions, and it was a pleasant conversation. But when leaving work, a newer security/receptionist lady commenting on my setting out in the rain, said "but you don't have far to go, right?" I said "yes, only about 7 and a half miles. I was sincere, forgetting that a "normal" non-cyclist would think that's an arduous distance and she probably thought I was sarcastic. I should have just grinned and agreed.
Old 07-04-18, 08:36 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Just let them think whatever they want to; they will anyway. I stopped at a convenience store on my way to work yesterday, and an older gal - perfect stranger - was going on about the perfect weather making it possible for a bike ride. I didn't disabuse her of her assumptions, and it was a pleasant conversation. But when leaving work, a newer security/receptionist lady commenting on my setting out in the rain, said "but you don't have far to go, right?" I said "yes, only about 7 and a half miles. I was sincere, forgetting that a "normal" non-cyclist would think that's an arduous distance and she probably thought I was sarcastic. I should have just grinned and agreed.
The 'half' makes it sound like it is a long ride to you. If you had said, "not even eight miles," or "a little more than seven miles but not much," it would sound more like you considered it a short ride. Really, if you said, 'only,' that also implies you consider it short, but often people use 'only' in a sarcastic way to exaggerate how burdensome they find something, e.g. "he was ONLY the 50th customer who wanted a special order, sheesh!" But in general I think you're right that people don't understand a seven mile bike ride is only about 30-45 minutes depending on the route you take and traffic. They think they are flying along in the cars averaging 40-50 mph when in reality they probably average closer to 20 in crosstown traffic.
Old 07-05-18, 04:58 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
The 'half' makes it sound like it is a long ride to you. If you had said, "not even eight miles," or "a little more than seven miles but not much," it would sound more like you considered it a short ride. Really, if you said, 'only,' that also implies you consider it short, but often people use 'only' in a sarcastic way to exaggerate how burdensome they find something, e.g. "he was ONLY the 50th customer who wanted a special order, sheesh!" But in general I think you're right that people don't understand a seven mile bike ride is only about 30-45 minutes depending on the route you take and traffic. They think they are flying along in the cars averaging 40-50 mph when in reality they probably average closer to 20 in crosstown traffic.
I think saying "a little more...but not much" makes it sound like you think it's a long ride. I mean why add "but not much" unless you think it is significant. Hey wait a minute - why do we care?!?
Old 07-06-18, 04:01 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I think saying "a little more...but not much" makes it sound like you think it's a long ride. I mean why add "but not much" unless you think it is significant. Hey wait a minute - why do we care?!?
Unless you're the inadvertent the humble-bragger (like I might have been), you shouldn't care. Psych stuff aside, it's just habit because most people ask "how far". Should just say "not very far", or "30 minutes ride" or some such, unless someone insists on the miles. Regardless, they'll think whatever they want to about it, no matter how much we try to explain.
Old 07-06-18, 04:26 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Unless you're the inadvertent the humble-bragger (like I might have been), you shouldn't care. Psych stuff aside, it's just habit because most people ask "how far". Should just say "not very far", or "30 minutes ride" or some such, unless someone insists on the miles. Regardless, they'll think whatever they want to about it, no matter how much we try to explain.
It should be a simple question - somebody asks how far you ride, you tell them. But of course there are subleties and subtext. If you round up you might inadvertently be trying to boost your image - if you round down you might be trying to assuage their worries. If you preface the number with a word or phrase like "only" or "more than" or "It's gotta be at least", you are loading your reply with extra implications. And never mind what you can do with an eyebrow or a thumbs up gesture! Yes it is a minefield of communicative insinuations and innuendos.
Old 07-07-18, 10:09 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
The title of the thread is a fail from the get-go (sounds like more like a LCF shibboleth to get attention)... many get in as much riding time as a hobby and exercise after driving to and from work and never think twice about anyone, raining on their parade, because of the time they spend on their bikes and trainers.
Old 07-08-18, 02:05 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm sure the OP had a valid question.
Old 07-08-18, 07:50 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
It should be a simple question - somebody asks how far you ride, you tell them. But of course there are subleties and subtext. If you round up you might inadvertently be trying to boost your image - if you round down you might be trying to assuage their worries. If you preface the number with a word or phrase like "only" or "more than" or "It's gotta be at least", you are loading your reply with extra implications. And never mind what you can do with an eyebrow or a thumbs up gesture! Yes it is a minefield of communicative insinuations and innuendos.
And add to that the cultural gimmick of expressing weakness in order to get love by expressing dismay about everything requiring even slight effort as being negative effort to endure. The other day someone saw me carrying a big load and said, "I hope you don't have too far to go with that," and I just cheerfully responded, "that's how I get exercise!"

Exercise is positive. Endurance is positive. Distance is achievement. Strength is a reward. Love doesn't need to encourage weakness.