Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone w/ a dual 26"/29" wheelset tourer?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anyone w/ a dual 26"/29" wheelset tourer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 08:50 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
The horizontal dropouts aren’t an issue once you get used to them. Other than having to loosen the fender stays, it’s not much different than vertical dropouts. I carry a tiny Park multitool for this.
well, there's that hassle if you run fenders. There's also the fact that these Swiss Army Knife dropouts cost more money to produce. This has been acknowledged by Surly itself with the release of the Bridge Club.
Old 07-27-18, 09:19 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
no, bro, i do not. In fact i do not own a bike with wheels bigger than 451. The Troll, were I to get one, would be my All-road Utility Tourer, my one do-it-all big-wheel bike. I am still debating among a dual-wheelset Troll, a dual 584/622 wheel-set Ogre or SOMA Double Cross build, or complete Bridge Club (i love the blue color!).

Soma 2xX

I've got most of the parts for a build squirreled away, including the 622 wheels with 35cm Marathon Supremes (and 41c Surly Knards). I am in no rush, though...

Its looks like you are married to disk brakes, with that wheelset anyway.

With disks, you could run any size wheel that fits in the frame, not sure why you'd need to run 26" wheels if you had the clearance for 700C wheels.

Bigger wheels tend to roll over bumps better. (given the tire size is equal)

One reason for smaller wheels is smaller frame sizes, its why there are no 700C bikes for young children.
Old 07-27-18, 09:46 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by SHBR

With disks, you could run any size wheel that fits in the frame, not sure why you'd need to run 26" wheels if you had the clearance for 700C wheels.

Bigger wheels tend to roll over bumps better. (given the tire size is equal)

One reason for smaller wheels is smaller frame sizes, its why there are no 700C bikes for young children.
well, yes. The whole discussion turns on the ability to swap wheel sizes afforded by disk brakes.

why run 26" wheels? For increased pneumatic suspension, traction and flotation. That's the point of 650b conversions. The same rationale applies to 559.
Old 07-27-18, 09:55 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

well, yes. The whole discussion turns on the ability to swap wheel sizes afforded by disk brakes.

why run 26" wheels? For increased pneumatic suspension, traction and flotation. That's the point of 650b conversions. The same rationale applies to 559.
My point is, if you have a frame that can clear 60MM 700C tires, I doubt you'd benefit much from a smaller wheel size, unless you can fit fatbike wheels.
Old 07-28-18, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
math... smaller wheel-tire, drops the BB and pedal BDC clearance
by the difference in the radius of the wheels ..

Old 07-28-18, 12:38 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
math... Smaller wheel-tire, drops the bb and pedal bdc clearance
by the difference in the radius of the tires ..

fify
Old 07-28-18, 01:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
complete wheel includes tire .. but a really fat tire on a small rim is going to be a similar diameter

the whole 700c 23 tire wheel swap to , 26" MTB with a 2.125" tire , depends on that..
Old 07-28-18, 05:27 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by fietsbob
math... smaller wheel-tire, drops the BB and pedal BDC clearance
by the difference in the radius of the wheels ..

you are late to the party, bob. We've covered that already, and determined that they are non-issues. Please stop pontificating on basic math (my first degree is actually in engineering).
Old 07-28-18, 05:31 PM
Abu Mahendra

My point is, if you have a frame that can clear 60MM 700C tires, I doubt you'd benefit much from a smaller wheel size, unless you can fit fatbike wheels.
gotcha.
Old 07-28-18, 10:19 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...I doubt you'd benefit much from a smaller wheel size, unless you can fit fatbike wheels.
maybe with a coupled frame? smaller wheels might could make the difference between fitting in the luggage case, or paying the surcharge for oversize sporting goods.

can't say for shure....my maff ain't so good.
Old 07-28-18, 10:56 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by saddlesores
maybe with a coupled frame? smaller wheels might could make the difference between fitting in the luggage case, or paying the surcharge for oversize sporting goods.

This is the original rationale.

My Dahon with 20" wheels (406MM) just barely fits in a standard suitcase, even then it still requires major disassembly.

26" and 700C wheels won't fit in any standard suitcase that I know of. (the cases that do fit will be obvious that you are carrying a bike, or some sort of equipment that may prompt additional questions, and charges)

Last edited by SHBR; 07-28-18 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-28-18, 11:45 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...the original rationale....
OP wants a doitall touring bike with big wheels. OP lives on an island so most likely gonna need to fly. buying a new bike, so want to factor in more, umm, factors.

wouldn't expect to use a standard suitcase. i mentioned "the luggage case" regarding a coupled frame. thought it would be (captain) obvious that would be a case made for bikes.

also, OP lives in bali, budget airlines like tiger and jetstar don't make a fuss over bikes in luggage, would be more of a concern if he needed to connect with some of the western carriers.
Old 07-28-18, 11:55 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

OP wants a doitall touring bike with big wheels. OP lives on an island so most likely gonna need to fly. buying a new bike, so want to factor in more, umm, factors.

wouldn't expect to use a standard suitcase. i mentioned "the luggage case" regarding a coupled frame. thought it would be (captain) obvious that would be a case made for bikes.

also, OP lives in bali, budget airlines like tiger and jetstar don't make a fuss over bikes in luggage, would be more of a concern if he needed to connect with some of the western carriers.
Did the OP mention flying?

I missed that.

You have a valid point about flying with a big wheel bike, especially with major "US based airlines".

I'm fairly sure the OP has a fleet of folding bikes that would also be quite suitable for air travel.
Old 07-29-18, 12:16 AM
Abu Mahendra

The All-road Utility Tourer would fly once in a while. Inside a bike box, with the front wheel off. But that's not a reason for smaller 26" wheels.

BTW & fyi, there are ferries spanning Indonesia's main islands. One could conceivably pedal from East Timor all the way onto mainland SEAsia to Singapore or Malaysia without having to fly.
Old 07-29-18, 12:53 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

The All-road Utility Tourer would fly once in a while. Inside a bike box, with the front wheel off. But that's not a reason for smaller 26" wheels.

BTW & fyi, there are ferries spanning Indonesia's main islands. One could conceivably pedal from East Timor all the way onto mainland SEAsia to Singapore or Malaysia without having to fly.
Good to know.

Regrettably I booked a flight to Tokyo from Shanghai in August, really wanted to take the boat, but JAL gave us a great price, and we can carry 40KG per person worth of checked luggage no extra charge.

Next time, maybe.
Old 07-29-18, 01:14 AM
Abu Mahendra

Good to know.

Regrettably I booked a flight to Tokyo from Shanghai in August, really wanted to take the boat, but JAL gave us a great price, and we can carry 40KG per person worth of checked luggage no extra charge.

Next time, maybe.
...mind you, Indonesian inter-island ferries are not the most speedy, modern, or comfortable, and some have been known to sink at sea, but they get the basic job done for cheap.
Old 07-29-18, 01:20 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

...mind you, Indonesian inter-island ferries are not the most speedy, modern, or comfortable, and some have been known to sink at sea, but they get the basic job done for cheap.
I could say the same about some airlines.
Old 07-29-18, 11:07 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts

There are a lot of variables, but I can say that I have been unsuccessful fitting my my World Troller into its S&S case with my ET wheelset on 40mm WTB Scraper rims. I remember shortly after the WT was released Surly published a photo of the Wold Troller in a hard case with Rabbit Hole rims and said that it "almost fit."

That said, I can fit my i26 rim wheelset in, and I bet I could run the ETs on that set as well. I've never tried it because they fit so well on the Scrapers, and I use the i26 for my more bus-rack-friendly 2.15" tires. Might try when I fly up to ride the Katy this fall, since I'd rather ride the ETs. Another thought I had was to just get a 2nd S&S case. Half the bike in each case should allow me to pack whatever tires I wanted.
Old 07-29-18, 05:58 PM
alan s 

If you don’t let the air out of your tires, you might try that.
Old 07-29-18, 07:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
well, there's that hassle if you run fenders. There's also the fact that these Swiss Army Knife dropouts cost more money to produce. This has been acknowledged by Surly itself with the release of the Bridge Club.
dont forget though that I set up my sks fenders on the troll and can remove rear tire easily, so it depends on the clearance you leave.

but yes, a moot point if a Bridge Club would be an option, yet still allowing a 700x47 or whatever they say, and up to 2.8 chubby chickens.
Old 07-30-18, 07:32 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by djb
dont forget though that I set up my sks fenders on the troll and can remove rear tire easily, so it depends on the clearance you leave.
Same here. I swap wheels all the time and never mess with my fenders.
Old 07-30-18, 07:36 AM
Rob_E

If you don’t let the air out of your tires, you might try that.
Always do. The issue is getting everything packed to not exceed the 10 inch deep limit of my S&S case. The wide rims make just enough difference that the case bulges too much, or at least too much for my comfort, knowing I'm going to be handing it over to TSA and the baggage handlers. I doubt it would fit at all in a hard-sided case.
Old 07-30-18, 09:56 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Always do. The issue is getting everything packed to not exceed the 10 inch deep limit of my S&S case. The wide rims make just enough difference that the case bulges too much, or at least too much for my comfort, knowing I'm going to be handing it over to TSA and the baggage handlers. I doubt it would fit at all in a hard-sided case.
May be tight, but I’m surprised you cannot fit wider rims. Maybe take the crank off? My World Troller fits pretty easily in a soft case with padding. The hubs are wider than the rims, and they fit fine.
Old 07-30-18, 10:14 AM
Rob_E

May be tight, but I’m surprised you cannot fit wider rims. Maybe take the crank off? My World Troller fits pretty easily in a soft case with padding. The hubs are wider than the rims, and they fit fine.
Cranks always come off, too. Problem is that I can shift things around to account for hub width, mainly by moving the widest part of the frame, the rear triangle, to the edge, meaning that I have my rear dropouts on top of one rim and the other rim on top of that. Maybe with a little more fiddling, it might fit, but I've never gotten it together in a package tight enough to be comfortable with. On the other hand, I often use a combination of transit options, and the wider tires also make it difficult to use bus bike racks and Amtrak's roll-on service. So my motivation to spend much more time trying to squeeze the tires into my case is low. But I do have a trip coming up where I'd love to have my ETs. Might have to take another look.