Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2019 Tour Plans...A semi-retirement sabbatical

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2019 Tour Plans...A semi-retirement sabbatical

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 12:09 AM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just read your 2011 blog and it looks like it would be a good ride. Every time I go up 7 in a vehicle it just seems like the shoulders are small and now lots of rumble strips. I will have to give it a try now. I noticed in one of your pictures you asked about a Mt. in Dardanelle. It is Mt Nebo and Jones Mt is the smaller one. Magazine is probably 50 miles west. I love the picture over the river. Dardanelle Dam in front of Arkansas Nuclear One. I grew up in Dardanelle. My dad was in charge of the dam and I work at ANO. I take the route you went through Rover when I ride to Mena. Those are some tough hills. As soon as you get to the top, they seem to go back down all the way. That route taught me to hate bridges. When you see one you know you are at the bottom and its time to go up again. I also learned a gnat can fly 5 mph. If you go 6 mph they leave you alone. A tired heavy guy on a bike going up hill can only do 4 mph.
Old 11-10-18, 04:40 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by b_young
I just read your 2011 blog and it looks like it would be a good ride. Every time I go up 7 in a vehicle it just seems like the shoulders are small and now lots of rumble strips. I will have to give it a try now. I noticed in one of your pictures you asked about a Mt. in Dardanelle. It is Mt Nebo and Jones Mt is the smaller one. Magazine is probably 50 miles west. I love the picture over the river. Dardanelle Dam in front of Arkansas Nuclear One. I grew up in Dardanelle. My dad was in charge of the dam and I work at ANO. I take the route you went through Rover when I ride to Mena. Those are some tough hills. As soon as you get to the top, they seem to go back down all the way. That route taught me to hate bridges. When you see one you know you are at the bottom and its time to go up again. I also learned a gnat can fly 5 mph. If you go 6 mph they leave you alone. A tired heavy guy on a bike going up hill can only do 4 mph.
You and I have more in common that a love for bicycling. My dad retired from the Corps of Engineers, at Table Rock (Branson, MO area). I remember as a small child, he was given a paid day off, to attend the dedication of the Dardanelle Dam. Then governor Winthrop Rockefeller was the speaker.
I know what you mean about a tired heavy guy going up hills. When we rode hwy 7, it took right at one hour, to ride from Jasper up to the over-look, that is 3 1/2 miles uphill.