Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2012/2013 bigger tires :) Kenda Small Block 8 - 29 x 2.1

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2012/2013 bigger tires :) Kenda Small Block 8 - 29 x 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 11:26 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2012/2013 Trek DS 8.4 bigger tires :) Kenda Small Block 8 - 29 x 2.1

ARGHHH realized I stuffed the title and it doesn't state for DS.

So I've been in search for bigger tires but always worried about fit in the rear stays.

After doing the North/South Track (a real mountain bike track) a couple of weekends ago, the search for bigger tires became a priority. While I've done some really "out of scope" terrain (single tracks, sand, rock gardens) on the standard LT3 38c OEM tires it was definitely time to change.

Emails to Trek Australia didn't really lead me anywhere though I do know now that the 2012/2013 frames are the same and the 2014 has slightly larger rear stays. That being said the Trek page states for the current model "accomodates 700x35c tyres with mudguards, or a 29"x1.8" MTB tyre without mudguards."

I just happened to drop into an LBS and they had some $30AU 29 x 2.1 Deli SA-258s in stock. The guy said "take 'em and try 'em" and so I did. No luck. Slightly (like in technical terms a smidgeon or a bee's dick ) because of the edge knobs. Only way they'd clear was if I dropped the pressure to about 30 PSI. Slightly too low for my purposes.

Back to the drawing board.

Then I came across the 29x2.1 Kenda Small Block 8. Not as aggressive but that meant the edge knobs weren't as pronounced.

Just put them on and.....BINGO!

Front clearance was never an issue.

Nice and clear, on the rear

Compared to the 40c PRX2's on my wife's Giant Rove

Compared to the son's DS 2013 DS 8.3 with OEM LT1

Looks a bit more "agressive"

Biggest issue is that a 2.1" tires isn't a 2.1" tire, depends on the manufacturer and the tread pattern, so all you can really do is try and try again.

Will feedback on the tires after the weekend

Last edited by limbot; 05-02-16 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 07:23 AM
macrophotog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by limbot
ARGHHH realized I stuffed the title and it doesn't state for DS.

So I've been in search for bigger tires but always worried about fit in the rear stays.

After doing the North/South Track (a real mountain bike track) a couple of weekends ago, the search for bigger tires became a priority. While I've done some really "out of scope" terrain (single tracks, sand, rock gardens) on the standard LT3 38c OEM tires it was definitely time to change.

Emails to Trek Australia didn't really lead me anywhere though I do know now that the 2012/2013 frames are the same and the 2014 has slightly larger rear stays. That being said the Trek page states for the current model "accomodates 700x35c tyres with mudguards, or a 29"x1.8" MTB tyre without mudguards."

I just happened to drop into an LBS and they had some $30AU 29 x 2.1 Deli SA-258s in stock. The guy said "take 'em and try 'em" and so I did. No luck. Slightly (like in technical terms a smidgeon or a bee's dick ) because of the edge knobs. Only way they'd clear was if I dropped the pressure to about 30 PSI. Slightly too low for my purposes.

Back to the drawing board.

Then I came across the 29x2.1 Kinda Small Block 8. Not as aggressive but that meant the edge knobs weren't as pronounced.

Just put them on and.....BINGO!

Front clearance was never an issue.

Nice and clear, on the rear

Compared to the son's DS 2013 DS 8.3 with OEM LT1

Looks a bit more "agressive"

Biggest issue is that a 2.1" tires isn't a 2.1" tire, depends on the manufacturer and the tread pattern, so all you can really do is try and try again.

Will feedback on the tires after the weekend
How have these tires worked out for you the past couple years? I have a 2013 8.3 DS that I am looking at putting these tires on and am curious if you are still using these and if there have been any problems or if you would still recommend them. Also, I am seeing online that these tires are being sold as "Kenda Small Block 8 Pro" (folding tire) or "Kenda Small Block 8 Sport" (wire bead) - wondering which ones you have and if you think it made any difference for your application?
Old 06-26-18, 04:15 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by macrophotog
How have these tires worked out for you the past couple years? I have a 2013 8.3 DS that I am looking at putting these tires on and am curious if you are still using these and if there have been any problems or if you would still recommend them. Also, I am seeing online that these tires are being sold as "Kenda Small Block 8 Pro" (folding tire) or "Kenda Small Block 8 Sport" (wire bead) - wondering which ones you have and if you think it made any difference for your application?
Hey mate

Years down the track and still using. They suit my purposes well

The ones I have are the wired (I'm a cheap bugger )
Old 06-26-18, 08:55 PM
macrophotog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mate

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear - these are on my shopping list now!
Old 06-27-18, 05:40 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
They look great! What PSI are you running, and what is their actual measured width?
Old 07-01-18, 03:35 PM
macrophotog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mate

My new tires arrived yesterday and I just finished installing and taking them a short test ride - these are great!! Thanks so much for the information - the clearance is perfect and would probably even keep a Trek representative happy

What PSI have you been finding successful for riding them on:
- Road?
- Gravel/dirt roads or crushed limestone type rail trails?
- Singletrack?