Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Any Raleigh Redux Reviews?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-13-16, 12:13 PM
Beanboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Raleigh's new Redux caught my eye as a good kid hauler/around town bike that looks like a blast to ride. Anyone with one or have experience riding one?

Thanks!

-B
Old 06-14-16, 07:28 PM
Beanboy

Here's the only written review I've seen so far:

2016 Buyer's Guide: Raleigh Redux 2 | Bicycling
Old 06-15-16, 02:53 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Looks like an urban 27.5 or 650b bike for riding around town and also for off-road jaunts. According to the review:

"Which makes sense once you understand that the three-bike Redux family evolved from the Tokul, Raleigh’s 27.5-inch-wheeled hardtail mountain bike. “We live in Seattle, which has pretty bad streets and hills, and we were like, How cool would it be to take our mountain bike and go city-bombing through downtown?” says Raleigh senior product manager, Mark Landsaat. Engineers put a 29er rigid fork on the Tokul, popped on some slick tires, “and we just started playing around in the city.” The Franken-Tokul evolved into the Redux, and Raleigh aimed it toward commuters looking to avoid traffic by zipping through rutted alleys, and college students vying to stand out in a sea of fixed gears."

It has the MTB-tough lineage but built more for the practical riding most people look to do on their bike. In the 29er department, there's the Marin Muirwoods, a similar urban steed.

Last edited by NormanF; 06-15-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 08:44 AM
Beanboy

Finally pulled the trigger on one. Will review once I get it on the road.
Old 07-14-17, 11:47 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I have no experience with it, but it looks like a cool bike. My daughter has a 2015 model Raleigh Alysa, which is the women's version of the Cadent (their Trek FX-like bike) and I've been 100% impressed with the build quality of the frame and other materials. The Redux reminds me of the Giant ATX Lite that has recently been mentioned on this forum. Interesting bikes!
Old 07-14-17, 07:27 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Beanboy
Raleigh's new Redux caught my eye as a good kid hauler/around town bike that looks like a blast to ride. Anyone with one or have experience riding one?

Thanks!

-B
I'm a little familiar with that line, but have not ridden it long term

IMO its a fun bike to ride that is great for someone coming from BMX or MTB into urban riding. The big volume tires allow you to roll over anything, and the rollout is about the same as a 700c. The handlebars are higher than most hybrids. The headtube angle is steeper than modern MTB headtubes for quicker steering in the city. Unlike many MTBs, this bike has full rack and fender mounts

The position is more akin to a 29er, being more "between the wheels" as opposed to "over them," like on 26ers. Unlike 29ers, the wheel diameter doesnt get too large with 2" rubber

Modern Al frames are a great deal. They did a good job of speccing where it counts and to keep the price down without affecting performance. Schwalbe tires are nice.

Overall, I thnk its a good bike for aggresive urban riding with a bit of light trails/grass/parks. At 26-27lbs they are fairly lightweight for the price and 2" tires. They make for great commuters due to the low maintenance drivetrain and ability to mount fenders and racks. Hydarulic brakes make it even lower maintenance. If you have to walk up narrow windy stairs, the smaller diameter wheels are a bit easier to manage. The 2" tires give a soft ride without high maintenance suspension.

This is the type of bike that people used to make out of older frames and would make a good complement to a road bike or a good city bike for someone who wants to jump some curbs on the long way to work. I personally wouldn't mind one but have too many vintage MTBs to justify it.
Old 07-15-17, 05:30 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Looks like a cool bike. Pictures would be nice!!!!
Old 07-15-17, 08:03 AM
verist

Bikes: Orbea Orca BRV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode one at a LBS, and liked it . I felt it was a good value your for the money. Ultimately I opted for a Giant Toughroad SLR 2
Old 07-17-17, 07:07 AM
Beanboy

I currently have a vintage steel MTB commuter, but it has seen better days. Thinking I'll keep it for rainy day commutes. Main goal was for something that I could haul a kid trailer with. All of my bikes were 20+ years old (mountain, commuter, road) until a couple of years ago when I made the upgrade from a Univega Alpina 5.3 to a BH Lynx 4.8. Talk about a change... In any case, sold me on disc brakes for single finger modulation and sheer stopping ability in wide conditions, but I still think simple is best outside of hitting NE trails as full-speed, so no suspension or front derailleur was appealing.

This class of bike caught my eye as the closest thing to a vintage MTB available. Glad to hear those that have ridden it and agree.

Got a good deal on it, Raleigh is offering the Redux 2 (wanted the hydro discs) for $390 shipped. I abandoned the shopping cart and they sent me a 5% off coupon, bringing the total to $370. Should be here Friday.
Old 07-17-17, 08:48 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Beanboy
Got a good deal on it, Raleigh is offering the Redux 2 (wanted the hydro discs) for $390 shipped. I abandoned the shopping cart and they sent me a 5% off coupon, bringing the total to $370. Should be here Friday.
Great deal!
Old 08-30-17, 11:13 AM
Beanboy

Here's the first shot of it assembled. I've since flipped the handlebar stem and lowered the handlebars as low as they can go. Still not used to the higher and wider handlebar setups on newer mountain bikes.

Everything seems built fairly well. Not bad for the price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
redux.jpg (98.6 KB, 116 views)
Old 08-30-17, 12:23 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Too bad they didn't include a carbon fork option for that bike.
Old 08-30-17, 02:14 PM
Beanboy

Maybe for the Redux 3 or if they made a Redux 4. Tires are large enough that the ride isn't bad, and for bashing around on bike racks, I like not having to worry about carbon getting knocked around.

Fun bike for curb hopping in urban commuting, as well as a good commuter option for crappy road areas. I used to have a Coda, new place I live has about the same commute, but far crappier roads so I went with something beefier. That and the desire for disc brakes for all-weather stopping/bike trailering.
Old 10-11-17, 01:19 PM
Beanboy

A month or so commuting and bike trailering with the Redux 2. So far so good. Was out in the rain a couple of days ago with the trailer and the discs braked well and stayed more consistent versus my old commuter bike's rim brakes.
Old 10-11-17, 04:01 PM
hokiefyd 

I subscribe to KevCentral on YouTube, and he just recently posted a review of the Redux:

Old 06-13-18, 12:31 PM
El_Jaimio

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been riding a Redux 2 for a few months now as my throw around commuter and I am really impressed with the bike. It is quick and is nimble enough without sacrificing any stability. My commutes are riddled with small slopes and it climbs decently enough (definitely not a strong point though). Comfortable enough to put 10-15 miles at a time, and that is considering I am a rather aggressive rider, I have no chill; it is easy to hop around with if I am passing through rougher streets, alleys and parking lots downtown. Have done a lot of pretty light trail riding and it holds up alright as well. It is, as advertised, an urban assault machine.

Bike looks good too. People have been complimenting it a lot. I had been borrowing it from my roommate while I looked for a new bike and ended up buying the thing. The components for the price point are great. Solid bike.