Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Commonwealth Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 10:23 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Assume: Glaetzer's gear is 58t/13t.

I counted actual pedal strokes on multiple splits throughout the ride. I counted 13.75 revolutions multiple times.

Glaetzer's recorded time was 59.340s. s = vt

If Glaetzer rode 64.5 kph for 59.340s, he traveled 1,062 meters...62 meters further than necessary.
Notes:
- Redoing this helped me find a transcription error in my calculations. So, the overshoot was 62 meters, not 65 as I previously reported.
- I was counting pedal strokes from a shaky video with lots of camera cuts. I could have made an error here.
- I assume that his rear tire rollout is 2095mm. This is a fairly common number used in cyclocoputers. The actual value could be larger or smaller, but not vary by more than 1 or 2 percent and thus not affect things that much. Maybe +/- less than 1 meter in the total distance traveled.
Too many estimations leading to an error sum, from my point of view.

Even the zigzag "longer line" idea doesn't seems near the real deviation - of the rear, not the front wheel, we have to remember - there's a diference in speed from front to wheel if you oscillate the front, but cadence is associated with the rear wheel speed.. It doesn't add too many meters on the trajectory - of the front wheel, and less on the rear wheel path.

And yes, if you ride perfectly on red lane the additional lenght will be only 2 x pi x DeltaR (distance from Red to Black). So, it's a good math for additional length if you assume an average distance from black on the turns.

Of course, I agree with the point that just holding sharp on the black line isn't the smartest/fastest way, considering velo tracks are stupid by having a constant turn radius on black lane, making transitions in and out turns "hard points" from the energy change point of view (linear to rotation, and back, kinetic energy...).

But that's one additional point to deny the huge theoretical gain in time if following the "right path".

Well, "right path" sometimes is overrated... :-)