Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

700C Schwinn DSB VS 700c Redline Bikes Sutter

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 02:20 PM
rajesh1136

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All, Need your expertise in selecting my first bike. I rode bikes before but cheap store brand bikes.

Uses
-------
1. Quick commute in city
2. Weekend trail

Out of two bikes which one is good ? Redline seems to be re-branded diamondback insight 1.

I got the Schwinn DSB almost 70% off of $249 list price and Redline i got for $200. There is a lot of price difference.

Schwinn has suspension, disc brakes and its RD is Tourney
Redline done have suspension, disc brakes and its RD is altus
Old 04-29-18, 02:09 PM
MisterK
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lookee up both and was really surprised the redline can be found at walmart.
that being said i like the redline much more. The suspension on that schwinn is most likely quite heavy and dont be fooled by having cheap disc breaks. The schwinn is flashy but the redline is much nicer imo
Old 04-29-18, 06:25 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
When I search for Redline bikes, I get a site with some nice BMX bikes. It would help to post a link to the actual bikes you're looking at.
Old 04-29-18, 06:49 PM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry because I'm new user I'm not able to post urls.

please search in Wal-Mart for redline Sutter. Schwinn is also in Wal-Mart.

in the mix I thought about fuji 1.9 absolute too just more over my budget. Thanks again.

please let me know
Old 04-29-18, 10:01 PM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
When I search for Redline bikes, I get a site with some nice BMX bikes. It would help to post a link to the actual bikes you're looking at.
Redline - walmart item 280966558

Schwinn - walmart item 129458755

As mentioned schwinn says 249 but i got in clearance for about 60.
Old 04-29-18, 10:07 PM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
I lookee up both and was really surprised the redline can be found at walmart.
that being said i like the redline much more. The suspension on that schwinn is most likely quite heavy and dont be fooled by having cheap disc breaks. The schwinn is flashy but the redline is much nicer imo
Thank you.

I'm thinking about keeping the redline. But on the sideline, thinking should i increase my budget and get fuji absolute 1.9. it has good specs. Redline i got for about $200 fuji will be $450.
Old 04-30-18, 07:03 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Redline Sutter: link

Schwinn DSB: link

I agree that the Redline looks like a decent bike. It's likely to have a freewheel hub, but any new bike at that price range will (a cassette freehub design is stronger). The Fuji has a number of advantages over the Redline (like an 8-speed cassette vs. a 7-speed freewheel, and like cable-operated disc brakes vs. rim brakes), but it's also more than twice the price. If you think you'll be riding a lot, the Fuji is probably the better buy.

I presume you would buy the Fuji from a dealer, so you'd have an opportunity to test ride it before buying. I always advocate that rather than buying something online without having ridden it first. The Redline and the Schwinn in this thread, for instance, will likely ride like completely different bikes. You may prefer one over the other, but wouldn't know that unless you are able to test ride first. Before I bought a Giant Roam (similar on concept to the Schwinn you are looking at), I first rode a Giant Escape (similar in concept to the Redline you are looking at). The Escape felt a little odd to me and I didn't like how it rode. I felt immediately at home on the Roam. Just an example of how two bikes, from the same company even, can be totally different rides.
Old 04-30-18, 07:14 AM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd

I agree that the Redline looks like a decent bike. It's likely to have a freewheel hub, but any new bike at that price range will (a cassette freehub design is stronger). The Fuji has a number of advantages over the Redline (like an 8-speed cassette vs. a 7-speed freewheel, and like cable-operated disc brakes vs. rim brakes), but it's also more than twice the price. If you think you'll be riding a lot, the Fuji is probably the better buy.

I presume you would buy the Fuji from a dealer, so you'd have an opportunity to test ride it before buying. I always advocate that rather than buying something online without having ridden it first. The Redline and the Schwinn in this thread, for instance, will likely ride like completely different bikes. You may prefer one over the other, but wouldn't know that unless you are able to test ride first. Before I bought a Giant Roam (similar on concept to the Schwinn you are looking at), I first rode a Giant Escape (similar in concept to the Redline you are looking at). The Escape felt a little odd to me and I didn't like how it rode. I felt immediately at home on the Roam. Just an example of how two bikes, from the same company even, can be totally different rides.
Thanks. I dont whether its freewheel or not but i know redline is rebranded diamondback Insight 1 probably 2016. So the specs in REI for that model says its freewheel. My office is 16 mile one way. So i dont know at this point whether i can do two days in a day. But thinking of one way and getting a ride back then doing the opposite the next day. Thats where my confusion is.

I actually got both redline and DSB from walmart. DSB is good. Redline is lot lot lighter than DSB and rides well. DSB is a standard bike but for redline i got size 20. Which is Large and for riders 5'9 to 5'11 i think. Im at 5'10. Rear CogsShimano TZ-21 7 Speed Freewheel, 14-28T
Old 04-30-18, 07:22 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Looking at the link provided above, it appears the Redline has the exact same frame and fork as my 2013 Fuji Absolute. It's probably produced by the same parent company as Fuji and Breezer (a buddy of mine just purchased a new Breezer with the same frame and fork. The newer Fuji's have upgraded frame and fork design.
Old 04-30-18, 07:35 AM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
Looking at the link provided above, it appears the Redline has the exact same frame and fork as my 2013 Fuji Absolute. It's probably produced by the same parent company as Fuji and Breezer (a buddy of mine just purchased a new Breezer with the same frame and fork. The newer Fuji's have upgraded frame and fork design.
Fuji 2018 has the cable routing inside the frame and redline (may be old fuji) outside. Does it matter ?

Are you suggesting redline is the good pick ?
Old 04-30-18, 07:39 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rajesh1136
Fuji 2018 has the cable routing inside the frame and redline (may be old fuji) outside. Does it matter ?

Are you suggesting redline is the good pick ?
If the Redline is anything like my 2013 Fuji (as it appears to be), it's a great buy. I've got thousands of miles on it and I have no reason to upgrade. As others stated, you should ride different bikes if possible and the right bike will find you.
Old 04-30-18, 10:15 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'd say the Redline is better than the Schwinn option. Internal routing does not matter, it is more cosmetic.

I have no experience with the Redline, or it's parts, but at 16mi one way, you may hit the limit of the Redline rather quickly. If wheels start going out of true or parts start breaking, you'll probably want to upgrade rather than fix. It would be an fine test bike to see if you like cycling through.
Old 08-27-18, 04:27 PM
BaLs
Beginner Biker

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike did you end up buying? I bought used Schwinn DSB 2 years back but not enjoying it as I wanted to.
Old 09-09-18, 09:25 PM
tsanford2926

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Schwinn 700c DSB and to get me into riding i'd say its done its job. But after 350 miles I feel like I've wasted my money and should have bought a saved a little more money and bought a trek or a Fuji hybrid. My bottom bracket has been working its way loose, had a tune up where I had lbs change the bearings and re tighten, took it on a 40 mile ride Saturday and 7 miles in its loose. Shifting is lacking on it as well. Sometimes I cant get front set into 1st gear even after adjustments. I'm calling Schwinn tomorrow to see if they can either refund or pay to fix my problems. Other than that I may have to try and sweet talk Walmart into refunding me, its only been 3 months or so since I bought it.
Old 09-09-18, 11:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
test ride both brands yet?
Old 09-10-18, 02:23 PM
BaLs
Beginner Biker

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsanford2926
I have the Schwinn 700c DSB and to get me into riding i'd say its done its job. But after 350 miles I feel like I've wasted my money and should have bought a saved a little more money and bought a trek or a Fuji hybrid. My bottom bracket has been working its way loose, had a tune up where I had lbs change the bearings and re tighten, took it on a 40 mile ride Saturday and 7 miles in its loose. Shifting is lacking on it as well. Sometimes I cant get front set into 1st gear even after adjustments. I'm calling Schwinn tomorrow to see if they can either refund or pay to fix my problems. Other than that I may have to try and sweet talk Walmart into refunding me, its only been 3 months or so since I bought it.
I had same feeling when I bought Schwinn DSB. It's not a bad bike but the fit just did not work out for me. Its one size fits all.
I just sold the Schwinn last week and now looking to get Cannondale Quick 4. I test ride one at LBS last week and loved it.