Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mid-Drive Electric Bike (E-Bike) For Touring?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mid-Drive Electric Bike (E-Bike) For Touring?

Old 11-10-18, 06:54 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Is this a term that ebike people use?
Irish singer Luka Bloom may have been the first...

Old 11-10-18, 09:54 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Both means of transportation are AWESOME in their own way! But completely different.

I guess my question would be, why not a REAL motorcycle?
Because anyone who is capable of detaching emotion from this can see that a pedal assist bike is not even remotely close to a motorcycle?

My question would be without using the term "motor", in what way does an ebike even resemble a 450cc motorcycle?

And to answer your question: licensing that the bulk of folks don't have and registration/insurance cost.
Old 11-10-18, 10:05 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Caretaker
If you tour on an E-bike, you're E-bike touring, if you're touring on a bicycle (bike, cycle) you're bicycle touring. If you tour on an E-bike but tell people you tour on a bicycle you're being misleading either intentionally or unintentionally.
There was a guy here who toured on a single speed fat bike. Do you make sure to elaborate you tour on a multi gear bike, to ensure no one thinks you are trying to be misleading, when there are others who have more difficult to use bicycles? Should credit card tourers be careful to elaborate they don't sleep in a tent and eat cold beans straight out of a can, less they be confused for "real" tourists? I'm guessing that folks on a supported tour should disclose they really just did a series of day long group rides.

Or, my personal preference: there is nothing competitive implied about touring, there is zero reason this particular scenario should bother you. There is literally no effect on you whatsoever because someone didn't do it the same way as you.
Old 11-10-18, 11:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
And to answer your question: licensing that the bulk of folks don't have and registration/insurance cost.
True. In my community, the vast majority of people riding E-Bikes are drunks that had their DL stripped from them forever. And pedaling does not suit them. They just sit there with their finger on the throttle, just like a regular motor cycle.
Old 11-11-18, 03:22 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Not really a problem. Most ebikes now are mid drives (motor connected to crankset) so the wheels are not even involved. My hub drive is lacking a quick release so I carry a 15 mm spanner with my repair kit. The motor cords unplug with no fuss. I pop the battery off to lighten the bike and lift the frame up with the rather heavy wheel on the ground. Front wheel comes off like any other bike. This photo-op took me 5 minutes to remove and replace wheels...

Unlike a motorcycle it is real exercise at a slow pace without gasoline. Like having the wind at your back. My hub motor is totally silent, not even a buzz. Potential for getting stranded? Yes, range anxiety is a reality. No way I'm going to find a campground with electricity every 50 miles or so.

@Leebo, I made my last trip four years ago on a conventional acoustic bike. It was a road trip from NH to VA that was completed on a short section of the C&O canal, a convenient route into DC. Thus my comments above concerning their policy on motor off should I do a future e-version of the trip. I've emailed them requesting a clarification of their policy and would abide with their rules on any tours. The language at their website is vague ("Bicycle electric assist features cannot be used...") ? (should read "electric bicycle cannot be used" if that's what they mean)

@Caretaker, Aside from a limited range it's really not that much different. Yes, you can go faster when needed but you don't have to. I tend to ride more because I have more fun, live at the top of a 2 mile hill and use the bike more for errands leaving the truck at home. I've been bike touring probably as long as anybody on this forum so I'm well versed to compare the two styles. Was touring the C&O out to a hostel at Seneca MD as a high school kid in 1966 on my Schwinn Varsity.

A paraplegic would love to walk without an electric wheelchair. I would do anything to get rid of my motor and cycle unassisted but I can't due to a recent permanent disability. Consider yourselves blessed if you are still healthy enough to ride acoustically.
Is it an electric assist bike? Seems the answer is very clear. That said, if you have a HP, lots of rules and regs regarding " other powered mobility devices" under HP access and inclusion. Check those out. Depends on how the state or fed regulations are worded.
Old 11-11-18, 05:57 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
True. In my community, the vast majority of people riding E-Bikes are drunks that had their DL stripped from them forever. And pedaling does not suit them. They just sit there with their finger on the throttle, just like a regular motor cycle.
Weird. In WI where I used to live and where I live now, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. Almost every ebike I’ve ever seen was just a middle aged or older person riding, who I assume just like a little help in their older years. I’ve seen a few fairly overweight people on them in exercise clothing. I say rock on to both groups. Ebikes aren’t cheap. I’m surprised a bunch of lazy drunks are cruising around on $1500 ebikes. Maybe it just varies greatly depending on what part of the country you live in.
Old 11-11-18, 08:50 PM
jefnvk

I think most of us who don't hold a personal vendetta against ebikes have stated that a throttle that doesn't require pedaling is right about the line where acceptance wanes, and they start to more closely functionally resemble a low power moped.

That said, I've used this story before, on a tour I did there was a gentleman on an electric recumbant trike. He'd been a part of the organized tour (DALMAC in Michigan) for 50 or so years, was well into his 80s, lacking balance and strength to ride a pedal diamond frame bike like me. I'm certainly not going to bash on him, or try to tell him he wasn't really cycling, even if he did hit that throttle to get up a hill I was struggling up and zip right past me. To me, it is far more important that he was still out cycling, than the fact he didn't struggle as much as me.
Old 11-11-18, 10:30 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Anyone who honestly makes an argument that touring on an ebike is more akin to touring on a motorcycle or a scooter than touring on a bike needs to really sit down and examine reality. If I were to stick an electronic motor and battery on my Mazama, it is still much closer to what it was than to my BMW F650GS.
watch your mouth there or else ill boxer your ears young man
Old 11-12-18, 03:44 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
I think most of us who don't hold a personal vendetta against ebikes have stated that a throttle that doesn't require pedaling is right about the line where acceptance wanes, and they start to more closely functionally resemble a low power moped.

Right anyone touring on such a machine would be touring on an E-moped, just like the guy on pedal assist would be touring on an E-bike (E-bike touring). Facts are neutral opinion is biased.
Old 11-12-18, 08:28 AM
jefnvk

Right anyone touring on such a machine would be touring on an E-moped, just like the guy on pedal assist would be touring on an E-bike (E-bike touring). Facts are neutral opinion is biased.
And anyone who feels threatened or angered by someone who calls an ebike a bike, should probably examine why they are. Again, are you very careful to describe the touring you do as (say, for example, because I really don't know what you do) 27 speed road bike self-supported touring, or do you just throw out a generic "bike tour"?

Originally Posted by djb
watch your mouth there or else ill boxer your ears young man
You'll boxer my ears? Is that some sort of silly Canadian saying?
Old 11-12-18, 08:32 AM
djb

Jeff, that was a lame motorcycle joke. I'm an old biker, and beemers were always known as "boxers".

(beemers is a BMW btw ;-)
Old 11-12-18, 10:00 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Again, are you very careful to describe the touring you do as (say, for example, because I really don't know what you do) 27 speed road bike self-supported touring, or do you just throw out a generic "bike tour"?
If I did tour on an E-bike I'd say I was touring on an E-bike or E-bike touring, Why try to hide the fact?
Old 11-12-18, 11:51 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by djb
Jeff, that was a lame motorcycle joke. I'm an old biker, and beemers were always known as "boxers".

(beemers is a BMW btw ;-)
Ha, I was wondering if that's along the lines of what you were going for. Mine unfortunately is not the boxer, although I feel I need one someday!

If I did tour on an E-bike I'd say I was touring on an E-bike or E-bike touring, Why try to hide the fact?
An e-bike IS a bike to many (probably most) people. I've never met a person on an ebike that was touring that was attempting to make you think they did it on a regular bike, most will gladly tell you all about their ebike in the process.
Old 11-12-18, 01:10 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Un-fortunately there ARE some on here who ARE saying E-Bike touring is not bicycle touring, and thus should NOT be discussed here in the bicycle touring section...

To me it's like not allowing supported touring, or CC touring, or tandem touring, or... as long as you specifically state the type of touring you do one should be allowed here without being told (in every thread) that no, you are not bicycle touring... If you do not like it don't click on any E-Bike touring posts/threads. I do not go and open threads that I have absolutely no interest in...
Old 11-12-18, 01:43 PM
djb

Ha, I was wondering if that's along the lines of what you were going for. Mine unfortunately is not the boxer, although I feel I need one someday!
oops, of course, the single 650 enduro type one.
The largest single Ive ever ridden was an old suzuki sp 370 or 390 a friend had back in the 80s. Kick start only but not to hard to turn over cuz it had that little window showing you where the piston would be at the right position, so you'd turn it over cold to that point, and then your kick would at least be at the compression and spark part. It might have had a little lever to open the exhaust valve to easily get the piston to the right spot, but i dont recall, it was probably back in 82 or something.
I recall that engine had a real buzz at certain speeds/rpms, a real hand tingler at something like 50mph but smoothed out somewhat at 55 or 60. Popped good wheelies though.
When I did some production racing, the classic guys had some old 50s Norton 500s all raced out, and holy kadoodle did they make a chest thumping roar when they went past on the straight.
Old 11-12-18, 01:56 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Un-fortunately there ARE some on here who ARE saying E-Bike touring is not bicycle touring, and thus should NOT be discussed here in the bicycle touring section...

To me it's like not allowing supported touring, or CC touring, or tandem touring, or... as long as you specifically state the type of touring you do one should be allowed here without being told (in every thread) that no, you are not bicycle touring... If you do not like it don't click on any E-Bike touring posts/threads. I do not go and open threads that I have absolutely no interest in...
This is an interesting point. I don't have any issues with E-bike touring on the Touring message board.

One observation I made concerning Facebook groups, which are likely the cause of demise of uncountable message boards. On Facebook groups there are multiple E-bike groups and uncountable touring groups. Those places can be really polarizing. But in all fairness, there are several E-bike touring groups on Facebook, which is where I would most likely spend my time, and be happier, if I were interested in assisted pedaling cross country trips.
Old 11-12-18, 01:59 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr

Might get more info/ help/ approval if it was in the ( wait for it) e bike section? Just saying.....MIght be able to get past the motor thing and actually get some helpful hints/ ideas.
Old 11-12-18, 02:32 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Might get more info/ help/ approval if it was in the ( wait for it) e bike section? Just saying.....MIght be able to get past the motor thing and actually get some helpful hints/ ideas.
Might, even probably, for "technical" Q's as far as that goes. BUT 99.99% of the people never tour on the E-Bike section so people come here for touring Q's... and... are actually starting to be helped as more and more people try touring with E-Bikes...
Old 11-12-18, 05:03 PM
1-track-mind

Bikes: 92 Bridgestone xo-2 Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm. In my neck of the woods, those unlucky fellas ride gas powered scooters that you can buy from Tractor Supply for 600.00...
Old 11-12-18, 05:19 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I don’t think there’s some big secret ebike touring conspiracy. If it’s an ebike specific question, it’s usually right in the title “Question about charging ebike in camp” etc. If it’s not specific to ebikes, who cares if they go out of their way to discribe what sort of bike they’re using? I’m pretty sure no one is trying to hide anything.
Old 11-12-18, 09:48 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Leebo
If one has questions about battery tech, motor sizing, etc, I would agree that the ebike forum is a far better choice. For things dealing with touring, the TOURING forum seems like a far better choice. I don't spend a lot (or, any) time in the ebike forum, but a quick glance tells me that asking about the best time of year to do the Katy Trail on an ebike or the best way to do the Trans-America trail sticking to cities instead of wilderness is bound to get you about one response telling you to try the Touring section.