Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2: *UpGrades* Goin Nutty with It

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 05:53 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

So Nov 2017 I purchased my 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2 and have been very happy with it..

I have added things to it like Solid Abus Lock.. Ergo Grips.. New Wide Grippy Pedals.. Rear Bike Rack w/3bag Pannier set up.. kickstand.. and Lights for evening riding.

I think she's lookin pretty good.. But I have been yearning for something..

I always watch videos on bikes and Im a bit of a gear nut.. So.. sure I could leave this bike as is and buy another bike that can do this or that better..

But... Ya know what.. At this time.. I don't really want to Buy a Road Bike.. Nothing wrong with them.. But I just want to improve my Toughroad for now..

She's a great bike.. so why not invest into her a bit more so she can show me what her full potential is..

Listed below are going to be my planned upgrades.. and you can tell me what you guys think of the plans..

The upgrades will mostly be Mountain Bike.. With a couple things geared towards Road..

Brighter Headlight(Recommendations?)

Maxxis Rambler 700X40 (Tubeless) Tires

Shimano 105 Crankset 50/34 2X or 50/39/30 3x (10speed)

Shimano XT 11-42 Cassette (10speed)

Shimano SLX Shifters

Shimano SLX Derailers

KMC X10 Chain

I spoke to my LBC and showed them what I wanted to do and asked if what I wanted to do would match up well and they assured me it would do fine with the Toughroad

My goals are better ride, smoothness, better shifting, performance..

Mind you.. I love the Bike.. and I do enjoy the ride now.. I just would love to see what the Toughroad could be if it was equipped with upgraded parts..

Finally.. After I do this.. and if I enjoy it that much.. There is a chance I may do one more thing.. Switch it from a Flat Bar to a Drop Bar.. Of course with that.. I would have to change the Shifters to 105s

The break system that is on my bike works great so I do not see a need to improve it.. I would just have to mount the system to the drop bars and since it's all shimano there has got to be a way to match it up.

Ok Guys, what are your thoughts about the Mutant Hybrid I plan on upgrading?
Old 02-10-19, 11:52 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
going from 50mm to 40mm tires will not give you a better ride, will be worse.

if any changes to drivetrain, don't use 10-speed. May as well go to 11-speed.

i don't know how powerful you are, but a 50T chainring will be very fast, if you ever go that fast.
Old 02-10-19, 12:34 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I just kinda did this with my wife's and my 2015 Giant CoMax 1's see if interested https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...comax-1-s.html . I enjoyed the work. However, I did all the work myself and purchased all my Shimano stuff from ChainReaction before they stopped selling Shimano products to the US. Then I turned around a purchased two new Canyons. The Giants are now my bad weather/travel bikes. If it were me before I spend any more $$ on your Toughroad I would look at either of the fitness lines of Canyon bikes, the road lite or the path lite. If you are riding mostly on the paved trails/roads around Tampa a RoadLite CF 7.0 @ $1499 would have all the upgrades you are talking about doing and more https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...oadlite-cf-9-0 if you plan on some off roading then the Pathlite AL series @ $1399 or $1099 would answer the bill https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...athlite-sl-7-0 Just a thought from someone who has been in your shoes times 2. . Good luck with whatever you decide.

BTW, I know purchasing something like a bike online is a bit scary for most people. However, I can tell you that the Canyon experience was great. It took 15 minutes to put together and currently have about 1,000 miles on them without ever going to a LBS. Check out my thread on the process here:https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...roadlites.html
Old 02-10-19, 05:39 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
going from 50mm to 40mm tires will not give you a better ride, will be worse.

if any changes to drivetrain, don't use 10-speed. May as well go to 11-speed.

i don't know how powerful you are, but a 50T chainring will be very fast, if you ever go that fast.

I know that the 40mm are less plush tires.. But most of the tires I have been looking at stop at 40mm or below.. So the tires "riding better" is more about the quality
of the tire over the stock Giant 50mm.. And confidence with Grip.. I hear often how these other tires are more grippy when you push the bike harder than the stock Giant tires..

Thankfully.. my legs are strong.. so I can push the power down.. But the reason I was going for a 10 speed cassette was as I looked through prices..
The 10 speed groupsets I was finding was a bit less expensive.. The whole upgrade I created a list for really did show significant less expensive..

I noticed that many ppl have done what I plan to do.. not so much with the 10speed set up.. But with the mixing of a 105 crank with MTB cassette and shifters SLX/XT.. I find that interesting
Old 02-10-19, 06:02 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
I know that the 40mm are less plush tires.. But most of the tires I have been looking at stop at 40mm or below.. So the tires "riding better" is more about the quality
of the tire over the stock Giant 50mm.. And confidence with Grip.. I hear often how these other tires are more grippy when you push the bike harder than the stock Giant tires..

Thankfully.. my legs are strong.. so I can push the power down.. But the reason I was going for a 10 speed cassette was as I looked through prices..
The 10 speed groupsets I was finding was a bit less expensive.. The whole upgrade I created a list for really did show significant less expensive..

I noticed that many ppl have done what I plan to do.. not so much with the 10speed set up.. But with the mixing of a 105 crank with MTB cassette and shifters SLX/XT.. I find that interesting
I am looking at your Fastroad CoMax Upgrade and to be honest.. it gave me wood.. I kind of wanted the fun of upgrading the bike just because.. I guess Part of it is.. It's not just improving the bike.. it's making it more "Mine".. I feel more personalized.. Which is a Big part of why I want to tinker and upgrade the bike specs.
Of course Id make a similar post that you did on your CoMax Builds.. The Toughroad is what it is.. and can only be.. so good.. It was always meant to be a Travel Bike that had a bit of ruggedness in it.. Hell I was hit by a car while riding it.. and it didn't sustain any damage except for the pedal bending.. which could be luck.. But I'll let my mind be proud of the bike's toughness lol. The Toughroad is kind of still "Entry Level" to road and gravel bikes.. and I know if I sell it.. Though it will retain it's value a bit better.. I'll never get the $ I put into it..

I do see Canyons around a lot and though I am not familiar with the two models you listed.. I will certainly check them out.. Because I am a Gear nerd.. I do the same **** with Camera Gear.. I want to see EVERYTHING! lol
I'm sure the Bike models you posted will make it into my list of WANT haha

I do always hear very positive things about Canyons.. You find that they are a much better quality than the Giants similar price range?

Thanks for the comment
Old 02-10-19, 06:59 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales

Plenty of good 50mm/2" touring tire options. i have the tubeless Schwalbe almotion up to 2.15" (60mm) and they have extremely low rolling resistance. Many other choices.
If you like Schwalbe, bike24.de is pretty decent and they also still sell shimano. They also sell 11-speed sunrace cassettes for a bit over $30.

You know the current SLX/XT are 11-speed?
A 50T crank gets you over 60 kmh (almost 40 mph). If you need a 50T, you should maybe consider a professional career in cycling.
Old 02-10-19, 07:50 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Plenty of good 50mm/2" touring tire options. i have the tubeless Schwalbe almotion up to 2.15" (60mm) and they have extremely low rolling resistance. Many other choices.
If you like Schwalbe, bike24.de is pretty decent and they also still sell shimano. They also sell 11-speed sunrace cassettes for a bit over $30.

You know the current SLX/XT are 11-speed?
A 50T crank gets you over 60 kmh (almost 40 mph). If you need a 50T, you should maybe consider a professional career in cycling.
lol def don't need 50T But Finding 105 48T was difficult that matched the specs.. so that's why I considered staying with a 3x 105 crank 50/39/30..

50 for when I wanna try to go fast as a demon
39 for cruising
30 for inclines

yes the current SLX/XT are indeed 11 speed. And that's why I found a good price on the 10 speed.
Sure Id love an 11speed.. but with the upgrade Im doing.. the 10 speed will be enough and Im not forking out too too much out of pocket..

I do like Schwalbe... I just want decent protection, tubeless, less resistance and still grippy enough for gravel. I was looking at the Maxxis Ramblers in 700x40
Old 02-10-19, 09:40 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I just kinda did this with my wife's and my 2015 Giant CoMax 1's see if interested https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...comax-1-s.html . I enjoyed the work. However, I did all the work myself and purchased all my Shimano stuff from ChainReaction before they stopped selling Shimano products to the US. Then I turned around a purchased two new Canyons. The Giants are now my bad weather/travel bikes. If it were me before I spend any more $$ on your Toughroad I would look at either of the fitness lines of Canyon bikes, the road lite or the path lite. If you are riding mostly on the paved trails/roads around Tampa a RoadLite CF 7.0 @ $1499 would have all the upgrades you are talking about doing and more https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...oadlite-cf-9-0 if you plan on some off roading then the Pathlite AL series @ $1399 or $1099 would answer the bill https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...athlite-sl-7-0 Just a thought from someone who has been in your shoes times 2. . Good luck with whatever you decide.

BTW, I know purchasing something like a bike online is a bit scary for most people. However, I can tell you that the Canyon experience was great. It took 15 minutes to put together and currently have about 1,000 miles on them without ever going to a LBS. Check out my thread on the process here:https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...roadlites.html

You are right $1500 gets you a lot of bike.. And that roadlite 7 is sexy af and geared how I'd like
the pathlight is also very well equipped.. I just wish the crank had a bigger top end gear..
The Canyon bikes certainly are a potential future option.. absolutely gorgeous bikes they have.