Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Semantics: Bike touring vs bike packing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 01:13 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts

During the winter months I watch mainly bike tourers' videos. Usually on Youtube. I like to see where they go, what obstacles they face, the gear they use, and of course the scenery. After several hundred videos, the well starts to run dry from 'Bike tour'. Then I start to search 'bike packing', even though it is not my preferred.
Watching minimalist touring seems like an added hardship, but I still respect it. It can be compared to the 80's, when there was backpacking, which I was heavily into, and there was fast packing. Same concept. Backpacking was carrying all your gear, clothing, food on your back and could weigh anywhere from 40-70 lbs (weight was higher due to less tech), Fast packing was a super light weight sleeping bag (maybe only an emergency blanket), snacks and a water bottle. I'm sure it still exists today, but maybe under a different moniker.

So back to bikes and Youtube. I started to search for videos under bike packing and was curious to see many posters had titled their clips as "bike packing", yet they still had racks, panniers and full sized tents (comparably speaking).
So is this mislabeling due to the trend and people are trying to get more hits? Or, is it that people interchange packing and touring innocently?
When I hear bike packing, I visualize, a saddle bag, a frame bag, handle bar bag and a small back pack. Am I wrong?

What's your take?
Old 02-24-19, 02:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Do definitions really matter?
Old 02-24-19, 03:33 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Do definitions really matter?
When I am searching videos? Yes, but more for discussion's sake, and if someone does not care one way or the other, there is no need to enter the discussion.

I mean to say, if someone says they went mountain biking, you would believe that they did not ride a paved road to the grocery store.
If someone says they did a century ride, you know this to be a 100 mile ride, or even a 100 km, not a 100 yard ride to the end of the street
If, someone asks me if I want to go bike packing, I would have to say, I do not have the bags for bike packing, but I have touring gear.

Last edited by MarcusT; 02-24-19 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 05:40 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
i think us millenials just like to pretend that we've invented something new. So the term bikepacking. I even sometimes like to pretend i'm the first person to ever think of loading a bike and travelling on it, that it's some totally insane idea. Half the people i meet on the road treat me like that anyway. Which I kinda like. On the road, riding away from everything, sometimes it does feel like being totally alone. But I also have a lot of respect for the century plus of bicycle touring history and all the people who've been doing it for decades and have way more experience and knowledge than I do. And when i roll into camp and there are other bike tourists there and we can share stories and maybe a fire or some drinks, i like that too.

On youtube maybe you just get way more views if you label your videos bikepacking.
Old 02-24-19, 07:26 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am sure some of it is marketing. The companies that were quite small that made the bike packing equipment needed a phrase to distinguish their product line from panniers. And to someone that was using that type of equipment, it sounded impressive to be doing the latest thing with a new name.

I consider bike packing to be using bags and harnesses to store stuff on the bike without the use of racks. I do not consider the large cages made by Salsa or Blackburn to be racks.

And some bike packers think that if you put bike packing bags and harnesses on a road bike and stay on pavement, that is not "real" bike packing because they think bike packing is only off road kinds of riding. But I consider that to be bike packing too.

And some people mix bike packing bags and harnesses with panniers because it meets their needs better.

And some people call it a bike tour if they are only carrying their water and lunch on the bike while a van hauls their luggage.

When posting subject lines on a forum like this, it is beneficial to all to be clear and unambiguous, but other than that I pretty much concur with Machka, what the specific name is does not matter that much.
Old 02-24-19, 07:55 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Bike packing is for younger people, and is trendy right now.
Bike touring is for older, stodgier people and is kind of passe.
Old 02-24-19, 08:20 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
You want the even newer and more improved version!!!
Variables:
1) Some amount of weight and supplies
2) How is it mounted and where?
3) How long are you going for?
4) What is the primary terrain or path goal?

They (mythical third party that is everyone else) wants there to be a distinction between touring and bike packing. The lines are blurred on what exactly "they" define all of the possible permutations of those variables. Soody above nailed it. If I was going to define it... I would use only 4 above, 1-3 are the result of your planning and experience. Could you do the same route in a car? If so, maybe you are bike touring. If not, maybe you claim bike packing.

Last edited by u235; 02-24-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
I went to a bicycle travel seminar in 1980 and the presenter used the term 'bike packing' to universally describe all types of non-competitive bike rides where a night was spent away from home. Go figure.

I like to put my kit in a saddlebag and seek out country lanes. Clearly, I need to:
1) Coin a specialized term for this specific activity: 'Bike Bummeling'.
2) Create a website espousing and promoting bike bummeling.
3) Create buyer's guides for 'stuff' for bike bummeling (I'm not saying you have to buy sidebar advertising to get your stuff featured in the buyer's guide, but it wouldn't hurt.)
4) Publish lavishly photographed articles of riders' bike bummels.
5) Offer maps of great bike bummeling routes and guides to the best bike bummeling areas with 'meccas' and 'hidden gems'.
6) Write authoritative guides to the optimum wheel size for bike bummeling - almost certainly something cyclists don't already have in their arsenal (I envision a big EA3 vs. 28 x 1 1/2 debate.)
7) Compend industry offerings optimised for bike bummeling: bikes, frames, bars, tires, saddlebags, saddles, GPS devices, sun glasses, socks, dab rings, etc.

Last edited by tcs; 02-24-19 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:26 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Bikepacking is primarily riding offroad, eating cold food and sleeping under a tarp. Bike touring is primarily riding on roads, eating at restaurants and sleeping at a hotel.
Old 02-24-19, 09:43 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Bike-packing started as a term to denote off-road, backcountry, bicycle touring. Frame-and-seat-bag systems were fashioned since many participants had or used mountain bikes, which didn't accommodate the traditional-rack-pannier systems. The term started to devolve as others started integrating these new frame-bags (et. al) into their road touring systems. On-road or off-road, newcomers started call the activity bike-packing (vs. bike touring) when using these new non-rack-systems.

Last edited by BigAura; 02-24-19 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
So back to bikes and Youtube. I started to search for videos under bike packing and was curious to see many posters had titled their clips as "bike packing", yet they still had racks, panniers and full sized tents (comparably speaking).
So is this mislabeling due to the trend and people are trying to get more hits? Or, is it that people interchange packing and touring innocently?
I think part of it is mislabeling, part misunderstanding, part using terms interchangeably, and maybe just a touch of misdirection. I’ve seen a number of pictures (and a few actual) “bikepacking” bikes that carry more stuff...and do it more poorly...than my fully loaded touring bike.

When I hear bike packing, I visualize, a saddle bag, a frame bag, handle bar bag and a small back pack. Am I wrong?
When I hear “bikepacking”, I see the product line for Revelate Design or Oveja Negra (my local pack maker). Revelate Design “invented” modern bikepacking bags as we know them. All the designs that you see now are copies (ripoffs?) of Revelate’s products.

One quibble: The “handlebar bag” is much more than that. It is an equipment roll that is usually used to carry tent, sleeping bag, pad and perhaps some food.

What's your take?
If you put bikepacking bags on a road bike and go touring, it’s still “touring”. “Bikepacking” should be doing what Revelate initially designed their bags for...off-road riding. It doesn’t have to single track but it should be rougher than just gravel road riding. Basically if you can benefit from suspension, it’s “bikepacking”. In other words, if your bike looks like this

DSCN1197 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

it’s bikepacking. If your bike looks like this

IMGP1691 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

it’s touring.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-24-19, 09:50 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by alan s
Bikepacking is primarily riding offroad, eating cold food and sleeping under a tarp. Bike touring is primarily riding on roads, eating at restaurants and sleeping at a hotel.
Riding off-road? Yes, that’s bikepacking. Eating cold food? That’s poor planning. My food may be freeze-dried since it’s a whole lot easier to carry but I still carry a stove. And I have a good tent that I use for both road and off-road touring. We don’t have to be uncivilized.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-24-19, 10:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Also recently reinvented: “Workpacking”
Old 02-24-19, 10:09 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
How about just do what you like? Ride, rest, repeat. Repeatedly. Touring tends to be be more road, bikepacking tends to see more dirt. Don't overthink it. I seek out dirt trails, paths and roads. But in New England, i almost always have pave to connect my bikepacking routes. Just go with the tires/bike that is the best fit for your trip. Most of the time for me that's a rigid, steel 29er with plus tires.
Old 02-24-19, 10:25 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I went to a bicycle travel seminar in 1980 and the presenter used the term 'bike packing' to universally describe all types non-competitive bike rides where a night was spent away from home. Go figure.

I like to put my kit in a saddle bag a seek out country lanes. Clearly, I need to:
1) Coin a specialized term for this specific activity: 'Bike Bummeling'.
2) Create a website espousing and promoting bike bummeling.
3) Create buyer's guides for 'stuff' for bike bummeling (I'm not saying you have to buy sidebar advertising to get your stuff featured in the buyer's guide, but it wouldn't hurt.)
4) Publish lavishly photographed articles of riders' bike bummels.
5) Offer maps of great bike bummeling routes and guides to the best bike bummeling areas with 'meccas' and 'hidden gems'.
6) Write authoritative guides to the optimum wheel size for bike bummeling - almost certainly something cyclists don't already have in their arsenal (I envision a big EA3 vs. 28 x 1 1/2 debate.)
7) Compend industry offerings optimised for bike bummeling: bikes, frames, bars, tires, saddlebags, saddles, GPS devices, sun glasses, socks, dab rings, etc.
tcs
just wanted to say that this made me smile and chuckle.
funny for diff reasons but mostly because how the humour and specific numbered items very much touch on the reality of all this.
well thought up.
Old 02-24-19, 10:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
'It's the surface you're on.'
'It's the bags you use.'
'It's the bike you're riding.'
'It's how old you are.'

Reading over @ bikepacking.com I got the impression 'it's the width of the tire you ride.'
Old 02-24-19, 10:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
this made me smile also.
clearly this term and activity is the new thing and attracts a younger crowd, which is fine, as people getting out and doing stuff on bikes is cool, no matter what.

that said, last year I gave a talk about my last trips, and the crowd was pretty young--well thats easy given I'm in my 50s, and I could tell that the "stodgy and passé" thing was certainly held by some looking at all the crap I had on my bike and talking about using a paper map along with a tablet.
Given that most hadn't done any bike touring of any manner, I'm also sure that until you do it, its hard to imagine that you really should carry X or Y, plus there's always the factor of a 20 something not being bothered with a certain amount of discomfort, or aware of a given discomfort, but then we get back to the "stodgy" thing of being older and having a certain amount of experience.

again though, I want to emphasize that even though I bring up a view of someone older, with "bikepacking" being popular, I still always think its neat that folks are out doing some exploring on bikes and having any kind of adventure--because this attitude of adventure and love of this activity is what we all share.
Old 02-24-19, 10:39 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of my tours are on paved roads. Occasionally the pavement runs out but it's still a road which is maintained at some minimum level of standard. I do not consider myself bikepacking at all. I think of bikepacking as the wheeled version of backpacking, typically on rougher terrain and/or single track with greater infrequency of flush toilets, coffeehouses, ice cream shops and other critical services. I love my backpacking almost as much as my bicycle touring. I just don't like mixing the two.
Old 02-24-19, 11:04 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by skookum
Bunk! I’m no spring chicken and I did this last August and this about 4 years ago. I’ve got more ambitious stupidity planned for this summer. I’ve also done this about 3 years ago. I really don’t know anyone (personally) that does either bikepacking or bike touring. I sure don’t see anyone out there doing either...not in 3 days or 5 weeks.

Old 02-24-19, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
speed vs a bit of camp comfort

June's Racers competing to ride solo across the continent in least time, have adopted the bikebacking bags on their Carbon race bikes
enforcing a minimalist touring kit, on themselves ..

Old 02-24-19, 11:47 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
If, someone asks me if I want to go bike packing, I would have to say, I do not have the bags for bike packing, but I have touring gear.
I think that's very valid. When someone says "bikepacking gear" I know what they're talking about.
Old 02-24-19, 12:21 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think the fast packing comparison may have been a sort of original impetus just as alpine style became an option for siege tactics in high altitude climbing. Try the new definition of free diving vs good old skin diving as well. It's just evolution and innovation.

Innovator's are able to look past label constraints and see what applications from one genre might enhance their own efforts. I (and others) call this lateral thinking. So, putting a negative spin on one or the other genre seems counter productive to anyone really interested in growing and expanding their knowledge base.

• Originally you had utility bikes. Some people traveled on them using suitcases and bed rolls.
  • The utility bike branched into a road or sport bike. People also traveled with those and made specific luggage for the bike.
  • In the late 70's mtb's were invented and people began going off road in earnest rather than just taking a road bike as far as it would go.
  • At some point those people decided to stay overnight or even tour off road but found some of the gear used on road didn't work so well so they adapted.
  • Some of those ideas actually work well on road too so there is a co-mingling of ideas.
  • Evolution.
We see this as well in bike classification. Road bike, mountain bike, hybrid bike, gravel bike... a part of it is marketing of course but it is also an attempt to take parts of one genre and work them into another and then rework them so they meet somewhere in the middle again. I like it as it is the exploration of materials.

In this pic I could be bikepacking (but I'm in pavement) or touring (but I have bikepacking gear) yet not quite bikepacking (but bikepackers don't use saddle bags)... or just riding around (JRA).

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-24-19 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 12:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
The bike in the photo is on grass because it was in a campground but his trip was all on paved roads. I call that bike packing even though it was not off road. But life is too short to argue about such things, if you do not agree, I am not going to waste time arguing about it.

It was a nice bike, it was a Break Away frame, he did not pay oversize fee to the airline for this trip. And he was packed so light, he might have gotten the rest of his stuff into a carryon instead of a second checked bag.

I am always amazed when people pack that light for a trip longer than a few days. If I recall correctly, he and his girlfriend were doing a two week trip and were packed that light. But, they were on roads so they they did not have to carry a week of food on the bike or anything like that.

No he was not doing his whole trip with one water bottle, he lost one.
Old 02-24-19, 01:21 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Words matter.

In some ways.

"Bikepacking" obviously partakes of the connotations and images of "backpacking."

"Bicycle touring" partakes, in many minds, of other connotations and images.

Slightly or more than slightly Freddish nerds, for example.

"Bikepacking" and bearded hipsters with bike sprocket tattoos, with a focus on mapping out microbrewery stops, for example.

In their minds, they are cool, rebel-oriented revolutionaries.

In actuality, they are a new generation of Freds.

Bruce Gordon's take, however much you may be anti-Gordon, on the community had a certain honesty and accuracy of observation about it.

A lot of it is image- and connotation-related.

There is a certain style element that has its own connotations as well.

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 02-24-19 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 01:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
So what am I am doing if I have a mix of off road and on road, primarily cook my own meals and nearly always camp? Biketouracking?

But in the end, I don't care what anyone labels it. I do what I want and don't care what box other people fit it into.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-24-19 at 01:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.