Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Creative, Unusual, or Memorable Drone Footage?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Creative, Unusual, or Memorable Drone Footage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 08:48 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Drone on tour? Just no. I shoot stills for a living and I don't even bring a camera. I few shots on my i phone work great. Just what I need, another 5-10 lbs and a need to charge 1 more thing. Something to be said for being in the moment. Cheers.
Old 03-03-19, 10:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Selfies for your blog must be important if you do.. to need aerial shots ,
how do you ride the bike while using both hands on the drone controller.. ?
Old 03-03-19, 03:12 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I tour to get away from technology. I take very few pictures of anything or anyone. I used to tour with a Nikon 35 mm SLR back in the dark ages, and got a great deal of enjoyment from it. On the bike I focus on being engaged, and for me capturing the essence of a moment with a camera - or trying to - is self defeating. But that's just me. I believe a "drone controller" would be known commonly as a transmitter, but everybody knows what you mean.
Old 03-03-19, 03:36 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some good answers here. Thanks.

It's good to know what you're getting into, and this thread has been very good for that.

There are some other sides, aspects, possibilities that haven't been covered much.

One is creative editing. There is a small production crew who expressed their appreciation recently for a new editor. They liked what he did with the footage they shot, including the pace, energy, and timing. I knew a family in Southern California in which the father was a professional editor. He was very good, and in demand, and made a good living at it, including providing his family with a beautiful home. I got the feeling that he enjoyed his work. So it doesn't have to be a chore. There are all sorts of creative possibilities there.

For some people it is a chore, though. I wonder if there are people who will edit or put together video footage for a fee. I've never looked into that, but they are probably out there. It might be a viable option for some people. A service similar to web design, in a way. Of course, some people wouldn't be in a position or have the desire to spend the money, but others would.

The same things could be said for shooting the footage. Some people enjoy it, as some people enjoy still photography. Other people enjoy other things. But shooting video, with or without a drone, can be a chore or a distraction for some people, and an interesting challenge or creative expression for other people.

Ryan van Duzer also mentioned crashing the first drone he had on his Oregon-New York trip, and buying another afterwards. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes, usually completely unseen and unknown by the viewer, that goes into making the final product.

Is it worth it? It seems to me probably not, for most people. But maybe so for a few.

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 03-03-19 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 03:54 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Drone on tour? Just no. I shoot stills for a living and I don't even bring a camera. I few shots on my i phone work great. Just what I need, another 5-10 lbs and a need to charge 1 more thing. Something to be said for being in the moment. Cheers.
I have to agree. Usually, my memories of a ride are much more spectacular than any photo or video I could capture. You have to just drink it all in while it's happening, then move on to making your next memory. Also, to loosely paraphrase a very wise man's saying (was it Stephen Hawkings?), you can't observe something without noticeably changing its behavior. I believe that once you get off the bike and pull your camera out of the bag, the moment is lost and you might as well just get back on the saddle and continue riding.
Old 03-03-19, 04:38 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Not for drones perhaps but suggesting taking photo's or video in general is a waste of time or changes the tour is not valid IMO. If you shoot nothing those memories only reside in your brain alone, and only for a while. A photo can be shared with others and looked at again and again. I have recently gotten into making photo books instead of old school albums and they are great for browsing in the winter.

I take a lot of photos and some video and find that activity actually enhances the experience. On a tour I am always looking at the landscape for interesting shots and so I pretty well pay attention to everything from the large and dramatic to the small and insignificant roadside stuff. I am constantly thinking, how will I relate this to others which makes me pay attention to the beauty and uniqueness of what I'm passing through. At home I get to relive the tour in a sense while editing and then share the experience with my wife and kids who do not tour. Otherwise they would have no idea what I do on my vacations. Maybe one day it will inspire them to have their own adventures.

This summer one idea I have is a run through the spine of the Canadian Rockies taking photos of major mountain peaks along the way. I want to make a photo book titled "Mountains" (or something like that) and maybe even a short video of how I got the shots. For that ride I will be looking very hard at the scenery trying to portray them in different ways. Just me, the road and the mountains.. totally in the moment.

But, I will say that one turning point for my own enjoyment of videography and photography came about when I decided to learn more about how to capture better images. There was a time when I only had a 110 cartridge camera that took crappy shots, usually with my finger partially covering the lens, and I did not find taking pictures very rewarding. The same with most early video attempts that were one angle monotonous fire hosing home movies that even I found boring. Learning a bit about technique and composition upped my game (I think) and then shooting became more fun because I felt what I was doing was worthwhile and challenging.

Still, everyone is different. Some people like cooking on tour but I absolutely loathe the thought of washing dirty dishes and would rather eat cold beans out of a can. My kitchen is a cup a spoon and a can opener yet I may have 4 different camera devices.
Old 03-03-19, 05:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Probably the most memorable footage is US drones killing journalists in Iraq a bunch of year ago. Not good footage and not something I ever want to see but drone footage none the less.

The only drones the world needs is on musical instruments. If you want footage take a regular camera and put it in or on one of the billion different mounts that exist for cameras on people and bikes. GoPro makes some fine stuff for movies and is rather popular and you can probably pick up some older ones for cheap these days.
Old 03-04-19, 07:50 AM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy has a lot of experience with drones and with photography, and he brings up some good points,