Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Oregon Adds More Hike/Biker Sites in State Parks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Oregon Adds More Hike/Biker Sites in State Parks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 02:50 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I don't doubt that plenty of people whine about wanting the more basic sites to be "upgraded" to have power, cable TV, etc, etc. I'm sure the whole campground itself would be INSANELY more popular if you just cut the trees down, increased the rates to $75/day, and added some roller coasters. No doubt in my mind it would be more popular and the state would make Much more money off of the land if that's the goal. But there are still a whole lot of people that like to enjoy nature too. Yeah, the people in RVs are the louder ones doing the whining, but that doesn't mean every state park should be turned into paved RV slabs and come with cable TV and the other amenities so you "have something to do" out in that boring park that's lacking" entertainment"... The state park shouldn't essentially be a luxury tail-gating spot.
Old 03-07-19, 03:10 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I don't doubt that plenty of people whine about wanting the more basic sites to be "upgraded" to have power, cable TV, etc, etc. I'm sure the whole campground itself would be INSANELY more popular if you just cut the trees down, increased the rates to $75/day, and added some roller coasters. No doubt in my mind it would be more popular and the state would make Much more money off of the land if that's the goal. But there are still a whole lot of people that like to enjoy nature too. Yeah, the people in RVs are the louder ones doing the whining, but that doesn't mean every state park should be turned into paved RV slabs and come with cable TV and the other amenities so you "have something to do" out in that boring park that's lacking" entertainment"... The state park shouldn't essentially be a luxury tail-gating spot.
You're absolutely correct, but it seems that in the tax-budget-cutting prioritized world we find ourselves in, capitalistic marketing takes precedence. Touring is something that teaches us less-is-more, but the masses only seem to chase the insatiable-more. Sad state of affairs IMO.