Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike touring New Mexico's Valles Caldera

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-14-19, 09:55 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hi everyone. Planning a trip to New Mexico to bikepack Valles Caldera which is near the Jemez Mountains. Looking to do a 4 day trip beginning in Los Almos and ending in Santa Domingo Pueblo. Was wondering what weather would look like during the early July month here. Also, has anyone attempted this.
Old 03-14-19, 07:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
July typically sees this area in what they call “Monsoon” season. Heat build up on the desert causes frequent late morning thru afternoon thunderstorms, often times very spotty as to location. The Jemez gets a lot of T- storms as the prevailing winds are from the SW/W with all that desert to the west, then the winds pushes that moisture up and over the Jemez, with a lot of rain on occasions. My rule of thumb when riding was to be holed up somewhere by 11 or 12. Maybe out again after 4.

The Jemez is very forested and it’s harder to spot these storms coming, it’s easier out in the Juniper/Pinyon country where you can see 50 miles.

Are you doing Rt 4., than down 550 and north ?, as in on pavement ?, or planning on crossing the southern Jemez directly on dirt forest roads ?

One thought if riding the many dirt roads is beceause the soil is all originally volcanic duff, from the volcano that formed the region, be aware that due to the high silica content of the soil, when it gets wet, you might as well be riding on ice.

Lots of areas to camp throught the Nat’l Forest and a lot of places to just pull off the road for the day. Check the Santa Fe Nat’l Forest website for maps as well as information. One thing to be aware of is they’ve had a 25 year ongoing drought throughout the region and that can mean closures for camping and fires, which are more likely in the summer.

I’ve never road ridden Rt 4 west of the “Back Gate”, where Rt 4 meets Rt 501 coming up from LA. Rt 4 goes up a huge hill here to the west, switcbacks and all. Then it’s a beautiful ride down 4.

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-14-19 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 07:08 PM
DSchlichting

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2 of my 7 tours in New Mexico, I have ridden from different points in to Los Alamos, then the next leg to Jemez Springs. I've always toured New Mexico late in October, just due to work timings. These have been pannier trips, staying in hotels, so a bit different from your plan. Regardless of where you come from into Los Alamos, I suggest you take NM4 instead of NM502, e.g. in my case, coming from either Abiquiu or Ojo Caliente through Española, I sort of "overshoot" Los Alamos to take NM4 in from the southeast side. NM502 is too busy, too fast and way too narrow. Steep climb right out of the box when you leave Los Alamos and pick up NM 4 towards Valles Caldera. Road is very narrow, but in my experiences, pretty quiet. It is a beautiful descent where the Valles Caldera National Preserve property opens before you. You can go onto the property, but I've never had the time. It is a net downhill all the way past Jemez Springs to NM550. There is a lot of outdoor recreation type locations once you get south of the Valles Caldera property, but not particularly busy and no services that I ever saw. I never rode NM 126 towards Cuba as that is partly unpaved and my Spectrum does not have the clearances. Biggest risk here, as you get closer to Jemez Pueblo, are packs of dogs. But that can be said about much of New Mexico, nevertheless, it is a spectacular place to ride.
Old 03-16-19, 02:42 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
July typically sees this area in what they call “Monsoon” season. Heat build up on the desert causes frequent late morning thru afternoon thunderstorms, often times very spotty as to location. The Jemez gets a lot of T- storms as the prevailing winds are from the SW/W with all that desert to the west, then the winds pushes that moisture up and over the Jemez, with a lot of rain on occasions. My rule of thumb when riding was to be holed up somewhere by 11 or 12. Maybe out again after 4.

The Jemez is very forested and it’s harder to spot these storms coming, it’s easier out in the Juniper/Pinyon country where you can see 50 miles.

Are you doing Rt 4., than down 550 and north ?, as in on pavement ?, or planning on crossing the southern Jemez directly on dirt forest roads ?

One thought if riding the many dirt roads is beceause the soil is all originally volcanic duff, from the volcano that formed the region, be aware that due to the high silica content of the soil, when it gets wet, you might as well be riding on ice.

Lots of areas to camp throught the Nat’l Forest and a lot of places to just pull off the road for the day. Check the Santa Fe Nat’l Forest website for maps as well as information. One thing to be aware of is they’ve had a 25 year ongoing drought throughout the region and that can mean closures for camping and fires, which are more likely in the summer.

I’ve never road ridden Rt 4 west of the “Back Gate”, where Rt 4 meets Rt 501 coming up from LA. Rt 4 goes up a huge hill here to the west, switcbacks and all. Then it’s a beautiful ride down 4.

Thanks for the info. I won't be riding RT4. This is more of an offroad bikepacking trip. I have a link to the road I put on my Gaia here... as for riding the dirt during this season. I will be on a plus size bike and I hope this to deliver better than my 45mm tires would. I will have what I need in terms of weather. I appreciate the feedback on that.
Old 03-16-19, 03:10 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Originally Posted by DSchlichting
In 2 of my 7 tours in New Mexico, I have ridden from different points in to Los Alamos, then the next leg to Jemez Springs. I've always toured New Mexico late in October, just due to work timings. These have been pannier trips, staying in hotels, so a bit different from your plan. Regardless of where you come from into Los Alamos, I suggest you take NM4 instead of NM502, e.g. in my case, coming from either Abiquiu or Ojo Caliente through Española, I sort of "overshoot" Los Alamos to take NM4 in from the southeast side. NM502 is too busy, too fast and way too narrow. Steep climb right out of the box when you leave Los Alamos and pick up NM 4 towards Valles Caldera. Road is very narrow, but in my experiences, pretty quiet. It is a beautiful descent where the Valles Caldera National Preserve property opens before you. You can go onto the property, but I've never had the time. It is a net downhill all the way past Jemez Springs to NM550. There is a lot of outdoor recreation type locations once you get south of the Valles Caldera property, but not particularly busy and no services that I ever saw. I never rode NM 126 towards Cuba as that is partly unpaved and my Spectrum does not have the clearances. Biggest risk here, as you get closer to Jemez Pueblo, are packs of dogs. But that can be said about much of New Mexico, nevertheless, it is a spectacular place to ride.
Thanks for the info. Did you do mainly on or offroad riding?
Old 03-16-19, 03:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Thanks for the info. I won't be riding RT4. This is more of an offroad bikepacking trip. I have a link to the road I put on my Gaia here... as for riding the dirt during this season. I will be on a plus size bike and I hope this to deliver better than my 45mm tires would. I will have what I need in terms of weather. I appreciate the feedback on that.
That looks like a great way to travel thru the area. I've mt. biked some of that section down from Rt4 to Cochiti. The Jemez is a beautiful area and it looks like a well chosen area for this route.

One suggestion would be to post this over on MTBR.com - https://forums.mtbr.com/new-mexico/

The NM section is pretty active and as your's is an off-road route, you'll likely get responses and suggestions.
Old 03-16-19, 06:42 PM
DSchlichting

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Thanks for the info. Did you do mainly on or offroad riding?
Only road riding.