Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride your Hybrid today?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-21-23, 09:12 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 191 Posts

41 mile ride on my Sirrus 3.0 today in and around downtown Birmingham. A little cool to start, low 40'sF with 8-10 mph winds. Warmed up to mid-50s during the ride.

Likes For zookster:
Old 02-21-23, 07:07 PM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 64 Posts
Summer - and warm - here in Aus, so I've been riding into work a fair bit lately. 11 mile trip, mainly all on bike paths until I have to traverse the city, which while not perfect, makes things a lot easier.

Yarra River, Melbourne
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 02-22-23, 07:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
My two daughters and I took a ride on the C&O canal towpath on Monday -- a fitting tribute to George Washington on his birthday.

On the left, a 1997 GT Vantara, with a rear-offset rack that positions even very large panniers out of heel-strike conflict.

In the middle, a 2018 GT Laguna Pro, a Dick's Sporting Goods special bought properly on sale pre-COVID ($299), and then subsequently upgraded with hydro discs.

On the right, my hybridized Redline Zander. I paid $159 for the bike on clearance on Walmart.com, and have swapped to hydro disc brakes with a Surly fork.

Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 02-22-23, 09:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
On the right, my hybridized Redline Zander. I paid $159 for the bike on clearance on Walmart.com, and have swapped to hydro disc brakes with a Surly fork.
how to do like your trunk bag & rack? I have the same one. it rattles a little, so I use a bungee to quiet it down. but I love not having to mess w/ velcro straps anymore!
Old 02-22-23, 10:53 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
how to do like your trunk bag & rack? I have the same one. it rattles a little, so I use a bungee to quiet it down. but I love not having to mess w/ velcro straps anymore!
I like it and, yes, it does rattle. On balance, I think I prefer pannier bags that hook on the rack rails vs. a bag on top of the rack (similar to what the green GT has in that picture). That Topeak trunk bag does have the fold-down panniers, but I like having the weight a little lower on the bike (like in panniers) and I like having a little more leg swing clearance over the rear of the bike (which that bag conflicts with). Those pannier bags on the GT are used (Trek) Electra bags I found locally on Craigslist. They're essentially large open bags that fold up, but they're great for stuffing in blankets, jackets, etc. I also have two zippered bags...about the size of sandwich sized Ziploc bags...one for first aid stuff and one for tools and tire patches, etc. I like this because I can just throw these zippered bags into whatever conveyance I might have. They can go into a trunk bag, into a front rack bag (they were in that GT's front bag in the pic), they can go into my fat bike's frame bag, etc. I've found that to be the best solution vs. having it in a dedicated trunk bag.

More than you probably wanted to know... Ha ha.
Old 02-22-23, 01:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I like it and, yes, it does rattle. On balance, I think I prefer pannier bags that hook on the rack rails vs. a bag on top of the rack (similar to what the green GT has in that picture). That Topeak trunk bag does have the fold-down panniers, but I like having the weight a little lower on the bike (like in panniers) and I like having a little more leg swing clearance over the rear of the bike (which that bag conflicts with). Those pannier bags on the GT are used (Trek) Electra bags I found locally on Craigslist. They're essentially large open bags that fold up, but they're great for stuffing in blankets, jackets, etc. I also have two zippered bags...about the size of sandwich sized Ziploc bags...one for first aid stuff and one for tools and tire patches, etc. I like this because I can just throw these zippered bags into whatever conveyance I might have. They can go into a trunk bag, into a front rack bag (they were in that GT's front bag in the pic), they can go into my fat bike's frame bag, etc. I've found that to be the best solution vs. having it in a dedicated trunk bag.

More than you probably wanted to know... Ha ha.
not at all, all interesting!
I cut the pannier bags out of the side pockets, now I can actually use the side pockets
I have the rack on 3 bikes, actually the 3rd bike has a wooden rack so I mounted an adapter so I could slide the bag on that one too
the 1st rack came w/ a small bag but it seemed to small
the larger bag is OK but I would like 1 bag sized between the small & big one
since I like to carry a camera stick & travel pod I like having 2 bungees. the bungees keep the stick & pod in place & cut down the rattle
but I really like not having to hassle w/ velcro straps anymore

guess I don't have a photo of the adapter on the MTB during a ride, but here are a cpl pics to help explain what the adapter is

the little bag

the big bag, same as you

I thought I might cut off the carry straps on top, but I actually like it/them when I want to carry the bag(s) when loaded
More than you probably wanted to know... Ha ha ;-)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-22-23 at 01:53 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-22-23, 05:53 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Took my Giant Seek 1 to Black Creek Park today. Missed 11 days of riding due to a sinus infection. Not Covid, Flu or Strep thankfully but it kicked my @ss just the same. Glad to be able to get back out the past few days.

Likes For zookster:
Old 02-22-23, 08:02 PM
zookster 

Not today, actually did this ride back on Feb 8th. Didn't post it then because that night and the next day was the onset of the sinus infection from Hades.

Anyway, I took my Specialized Sirrus 3.0 up to Piedmont, AL to ride the Chief Ladiga Trail, with the intent of attempting my first "Metric Century" ride. I left from the Eubanks Welcome Center in Piedmont and rode to the trail end in Weaver, AL. Then rode back to Piedmont, about 35 miles. My reasoning was that I would ride that section first, see how I felt, and continue on or stop at the Welcome Center and head home.

Along the way I passed through Jacksonville, AL, home of Jacksonville State University.

Park at the end of the trail in Weaver, AL.

End of the line, for now. Future plans will extend the trail to Anniston, AL, about 6 miles south.

Approaching Piedmont on the return leg.

Trail sign in downtown Piedmont.

After getting back to Piedmont I felt well enough to try to complete the Metric Century by riding from Piedmont to the AL/GA state line. At the state line the trail becomes the Silver Comet Trail which runs to Smyrna, GA.

I rode up to the state line, about 14 miles. This portion is almost all uphill as the former rail line climbs up Dugger Mountain. A rail grade, so the incline is gradual but nearly constant. At the line I turned around and headed back to Piedmont, successfully completing the Metric Century with a total of 65.7 miles.

The trail markers at the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet junction.

The trail markers at the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet junction.

One of the many creek crossings on this section.

Success!
Likes For zookster:
Old 02-27-23, 09:50 AM
zookster 

Another ride on Chief Ladiga Trail yesterday with a few friends. This time a ride from Weaver, AL to Piedmont, AL on my Giant Seek 1. A little gray, overcast, chilly, drizzly when we left Weaver, AL headed for Piedmont. In Piedmont we stopped at Elevated Grounds for lunch then headed back to Weaver. The weather on the return was much better. A chill ride at a relaxed pace. Good times!

Heading into Jacksonville, AL

Eubanks Welcome Center on the Trail in Piedmont. Restrooms, public repair stand, water, information.

Elevated Grounds Coffee Shop. Good food, coffee and ice cream. There is a bike shop next door too. Pic from TripAdvisor, I forgot to take one!

Elevated Grounds Coffee Shop. Good food, coffee and ice cream. There is a bike shop next door too. Pic from TripAdvisor, I forgot to take one!

Sun finally made an appearance on the return ride.

Leaving Jacksonville, almost back to Weaver.
Likes For zookster:
Old 03-01-23, 12:38 AM
zookster 

A nice round trip ride on the Richard Martin Trail today, which goes from just north of Athens, AL to the TN state line at Veto, AL Took my Giant Seek 1 for this one.

Likes For zookster:
Old 03-04-23, 06:59 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 64 Posts
Last weekend I did a short trip around some bayside suburbs into work. I love exploring the city by bike.

View of Melbourne from the St. Kilda pier
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 03-12-23, 09:08 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I went out last week and tried the Black Creek Trail that @zookster mentioned above - I love the new mileage markers that Red Rock Trail System has installed. I took pictures of the new benches and other changes done since last season, but they are all very nicely done in his post above. Great spot to ride for those of us older gents who got a hybrid for the outdoor experience but aren't quite equipped for the big hills!
Likes For Photokid1970:
Old 03-13-23, 04:20 PM
zookster 

Another trip to Black Creek Park to ride Cain Creek Rails to Trails on my Giant Seek 1. This is a really nice park, complete with ball fields, a children's park and a dog park, along with the biking/walking trail. A round trip is about 12 miles, easy to add more miles with a few offshoots. There are also several trails (walking/hiking) that lead down to the creek. Trail surface is hard pack gravel with only a few soft spots.

https://fultondale.com/parks/

Had to do a bit of limbo to get under this fallen tree. It seemed to be even lower on the return ride.

A sample of the Red Rock Trail markers that PhotoKid1970 mentioned.

A short ride from the end of the rail trail on Powder Mill Rd will bring you to this rural Post Office.

My favorite photo op site at the abandoned trestle crossing New Castle Rd.

The Children's Park has 8 or 9 animal statues, including this giraffe.

And this elephant. There is also a hippo, storks/pelicans, a fish, a smaller giraffe, and 2 bears near the entrance.

Remnants of a tree fort on the section between Yarbrough Rd and New Castle Rd.

Last edited by zookster; 03-13-23 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add photo
Likes For zookster:
Old 03-20-23, 07:13 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I love your pictures! I haven't seen the Post Office - I'll search for that when I go next time. Hope to try the new extension at Red Mountain Park this week.
Likes For Photokid1970:
Old 03-23-23, 09:56 PM
zookster 

I took my Specialized Sirrus to Chattanooga today and did some riding. Went to Coolidge Park, across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge and rode the Tennessee Riverwalk Trail. Great day out on the bike!

Likes For zookster:
Old 03-25-23, 05:06 PM
zookster 

Today's adventure was the Birmingham Bicycle Club Spring Kickoff Metric, which offered a 62 or 32 mile ride. I and several friends rode the 32 mile route. Good day out on the bikes. Over 100 riders registered to take part in the event.

Ready for the off at 8am

Under way

My 2020 Sirrus was the bike of choice today

Our group
Likes For zookster:
Old 03-25-23, 05:14 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by zookster
Today's adventure was the Birmingham Bicycle Club Spring Kickoff Metric, which offered a 62 or 32 mile ride. I and several friends rode the 32 mile route. Good day out on the bikes. Over 100 riders registered to take part in the event.
weather looks great! what was the temp?
Old 03-25-23, 06:35 PM
zookster 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
weather looks great! what was the temp?
The weather was perfect. After an overnight round of storms it was cloudy and had just quit raining when I left home around 6am. Upper 50's at the start, cleared off and got to around 80 in the afternoon, with low humidity which is a treat in Alabama.
Likes For zookster:
Old 04-23-23, 07:42 AM
zookster 

Yesterday I joined with Northeast Alabama Bicycle Association (NEABA) and Le Tour De Ham riders for a group ride as part of Rail to Trails Conservancy's Celebrate Trails Day. The ride was hosted by Alabama Trails Foundation. We met at Michael Tucker Park in Anniston, AL to ride the Chief Ladiga Trail up to Piedmont, AL. The City of Piedmont hosted a food truck rally and live music for the event. After reaching Piedmont (about 18 miles from the starting point) we enjoyed a great lunch, some live music and just hanging out with fellow trail enthusiasts. After lunch 3 of us from Le Tour De Ham's group decided to attempt a Metric Century by riding from Piedmont up to the GA state line and then back to the start point at Michael Tucker Park. The attempt was a success, with 66 miles total. Fabulous weather, company and event to be out on my 2020 Sirrus 3.0.

NEABA and Le Tour De Ham riders ready for the start at Michael Tucker Park. Photo courtesy of Tory Moody, LTDH ride leader.

On the way to Piedmont with Tory and his wife Jennifer leading our group.

Le Tour De Ham group on the trail. Photo courtesy of Tory Moody.

Food trucks in Piedmont.

Info booths and live music in Piedmont.

Crossing County Rd 70 on the Chief Ladiga Trail, about 3 miles from the GA state line.

County Rd 70.

At the state line the Chief Ladiga Trail becomes the Sliver Comet trail and runs all the way to Smyrna, GA.

Back in Piedmont we stopped at the Eubanks Welcome Center for a quick break before pressing on to complete the final 19 miles of the ride.

Metric Century complete!
Likes For zookster:
Old 04-23-23, 04:07 PM
whydoibike93

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx, giant stance 2

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rode 22 miles around town yesterday was 69 and cloudy nice day for a bike ride.
Likes For whydoibike93:
Old 04-23-23, 06:36 PM
zookster 

Today's adventure was with Le Tour De Ham for a Views and Brews ride. I arrived at the meetup spot a little early and did some riding on my 2013 Giant Seek 1 in and around the former home of the Continental Gin Co, which manufactured cotton ginning machinery beginning in 1925. The industrial site is now home to a variety of businesses including Cahaba Brewing Co, Redmont Distilling Co and Ram Tool.

I then joined up with the Views and Brews ride (which visits mural sites throughout the city, and is followed by a "brew" of choice after the ride). Today we visited the Finley Roundhouse, a former locomotive maintenance facility that is popular with graffiti artists.

Inside the Finley Roundhouse

Exterior view of a portion of the Roundhouse
Likes For zookster:
Old 04-25-23, 09:30 PM
zookster 

This afternoon's ride was at Oak Mountain State Park in Pelham, AL. I took my Sirrus 3.0 for this ride.

Likes For zookster:
Old 04-30-23, 06:06 AM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
These bike ares so comfortable to ride, this is my minty Trek Navigator 300. The owner rode it a few times, and set in his basement for 15 years or so. Just fitted it with new tires and it runs as new.

Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 04-30-23, 07:23 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by zookster
A nice round trip ride on the Richard Martin Trail today, which goes from just north of Athens, AL to the TN state line at Veto, AL Took my Giant Seek 1 for this one.

I need to ride this trail. I am in Huntsville. You mentioned round trip. Was it circular or out and back?
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 04-30-23, 08:59 AM
zookster 

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I need to ride this trail. I am in Huntsville. You mentioned round trip. Was it circular or out and back?
Out and back, I started at the Piney Chapel trailhead which is about 2 miles north of Athens. There is a small parking lot at the Veto, AL end too, so you could easily start there also.

I found this video to be a pretty accurate review of the trail, despite some complaints you may see in written reviews about the trail.

Last edited by zookster; 04-30-23 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For zookster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.