Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mariner D8 2013 with Tern Loader Rack 2.0 with ORTLIEB 40L

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 11:30 AM
deivkiau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I think it will be useful for someone to know if the Tern Loader Rack 2.0 fits on the Dahon Mariner D8 2023. It fits well, the rack is horizontally straight, but a spacer is needed. My foot is 44 EU. The heel does not touch the bag and the bag can be pushed even further. ORTLIEB bags BACK-ROLLER 40L. If you have a question, ask. Photos in comment. (Thanks to moderators).

I made a mistake in title, bike year 2023

Last edited by deivkiau; 03-27-24 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-27-24, 12:43 PM
IBkatherine
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
Here is the link to the photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/33161964
Likes For IBkatherine:
Old 03-27-24, 01:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Pic Assist

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-27-24, 05:41 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Peering into my crystal ball I see a drivetrain change in your future if you're gonna be schlepping stuff.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 03-27-24, 08:34 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by deivkiau
Hello, I think it will be useful for someone to know if the Tern Loader Rack 2.0 fits on the Dahon Mariner D8 2023. It fits well, the rack is horizontally straight, but a spacer is needed. My foot is 44 EU. The heel does not touch the bag and the bag can be pushed even further. ORTLIEB bags BACK-ROLLER 40L. If you have a question, ask. Photos in comment. (Thanks to moderators).

I made a mistake in title, bike year 2023
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Pic Assist

1 quote for OP and 1 quote for the pic

Just a heads up for anyone packing a heavier weight on a smaller folder:
Carrying weight over 40-50lb (around 20kg) will put a significant force and increase the wear on both hinges over time, more so with any out of saddle riding.
I rode with around 20-25kg and I could feel a flex along the whole frame. After a while, I needed to adjust the hinges more and more.
In extreme cases, the wiggle could be a control problem at certain speeds.

Not sure if front panniers would mitigate this, never got around to trying.
Old 03-27-24, 09:34 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
1 quote for OP and 1 quote for the pic

Just a heads up for anyone packing a heavier weight on a smaller folder:
Carrying weight over 40-50lb (around 20kg) will put a significant force and increase the wear on both hinges over time, more so with any out of saddle riding.
I rode with around 20-25kg and I could feel a flex along the whole frame. After a while, I needed to adjust the hinges more and more.
In extreme cases, the wiggle could be a control problem at certain speeds.

Not sure if front panniers would mitigate this, never got around to trying.
The pic above shows where the panniers need to be for heel clearance. Past Speeds and Mariners had racks that didn't go far enough back for this, I can't see the rack but it must be improved in that regard. I had to use a large-wheel bike rear rack that put the panniers same position aft, and higher, though it looks like they won't have clearance issues riding alongside curbs. I think that is because their panniers are hung from the top rails, whereas mine are down on a lower tier to allow better top deck space, so same road clearance.

That vertical weight aft of the rear axle will not put more stress on the main hinge, but less, as it tries to counteract the bending moment put on the hinge by the rider weight forward of the rear axle. (However the added inertia of loaded panniers when swinging the bike laterally when climbing, does put more twisting load on the hinge.) Nevertheless, the main hinge does loosen up. Two tips:
1) Make sure there is a locknut on the hinge adjusting screw, and if not, add one that tightens against the female-threaded part that the screw goes into. Without that, the screw slowly loosens over time.
2) Deltech; Most Dahons now have this but looks like yours just missed that. EDIT: I SIT CORRECTED, THE MARINER ABOVE HAS THAT, YOU'RE IN GOOD SHAPE. It's an adjustable cable that goes between the frame just aft of the head tube, and the bottom bracket shell (welded tabs at both ends to connect to), triangulating the frame and putting the hinge more in compression than bending moment. Aftermarket retrofitable Deltech (circular clamps in place of welded tabs) is supposed to be available this year. I improvised a subsitute, simply a kevlar line (very low stretch, and little to no creep over time) around the bottom bracket and around the bottom of the head tube, a loop, double-8 knot to prevent slip, and just snug enough so that unfolding the frame, I need to place flat on ground on non-drive-side and push on the frame with my foot to snap it into place. It really tightened up my frame, haven't had to adjust the hinge since. Behold, bask in the glow of its greatness:

EDIT: Wiggle and control issues at speed: Front panniers with moderate weight calms the steering twitchiness, and rear panniers and trunk bag help calm lateral speed wobble on fast descents, but I still either sit, or clamp seat between my thighs if standing on the pedals.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-27-24 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-27-24, 10:50 PM
deivkiau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My rear wheel is original: 9.5mm axle, 28 holes hub, narrow single wall rim with 20x1.75 tire. In the future, I plan to upgrade to a 10mm axle, 36 holes hub, wider (22-24mm) double wall rim with 20x2.00 tire (like schwalbe big apple). I think it will ensure longevity and add comfort. Also will add more weight.
Likes For deivkiau:
Old 03-28-24, 02:22 AM
Duragrouch

My rear wheel is original: 9.5mm axle, 28 holes hub, narrow single wall rim with 20x1.75 tire. In the future, I plan to upgrade to a 10mm axle, 36 holes hub, wider (22-24mm) double wall rim with 20x2.00 tire (like schwalbe big apple). I think it will ensure longevity and add comfort. Also will add more weight.
Oh I'm with you dude. What's my name? (The dura is for durability, not Dura-Ace). I wish they made double-socket/eyelet rims in 20"/406, after wearing out two sets of rims on my road bike, I got wheels with those, and they wore like iron. There are highly rated 20" rims, double wall but spoke only pulling on inner wall, but the tough rims are extra thick there, I've read good things. 36 hole are hard to find in 20" but they do make, Bike Fridays typically come with high-spoke wheels, check what they use if you can't find. Will your 10mm axle be stepped, or will you enlarge the dropout slots?

HEY, I just noticed... Dahon reversed the hinge latch, and different hinge plates. I'd be curious to see details on that, I'll look online.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-28-24 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-28-24, 02:27 AM
Duragrouch

Two pics for you, food for thought, checking chain length big/big, small/small, with new 2X crank.

Old 03-28-24, 02:58 AM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Duragrouch

I wager that RD is not clearing more ground when the pulley cage is perpendicular to the ground than my own GS jobs with mega-range cogsets.

​​​​​
Old 03-28-24, 02:59 AM
deivkiau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I measured the dropouts and it turns out that a larger 10mm axle fits without frame modification. Another idea is to get a double kickstand (V shape), because with panniers loaded, the bike can fall down with a standard kickstand.
Old 03-28-24, 03:09 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Had a rear wheel with 36 holes and the strongest spokes I could find.
The guy who made it retired so...... poop.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 03-28-24, 03:10 AM
deivkiau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hinges not only reversed, but completely different. I can take a picture, but I can't post it because I'm newbie.
Old 03-28-24, 03:48 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I wager that RD is not clearing more ground when the pulley cage is perpendicular to the ground than my own GS jobs with mega-range cogsets.

​​​​​
It's darned close. If mine is higher, it's by the rim depth or less. No I'm intrigued. On another thread, a new Dahon with the different frame style, I think same RD as you, they have a 50/34 11-42, the gear range is fantastic, 566% if I recall, for heavy touring I might want over my 400%. But due to all the parts it would require, I would wait to put that investment into a disc bike.
Old 03-28-24, 03:53 AM
Ron Damon

It's darned close. If mine is higher, it's by the rim depth or less. No I'm intrigued. On another thread, a new Dahon with the different frame style, I think same RD as you, they have a 50/34 11-42, the gear range is fantastic, 566% if I recall, for heavy touring I might want over my 400%. But due to all the parts it would require, I would wait to put that investment into a disc bike.
You mean the RD I brought to the attention of the forum several years ago? Yeah, it's good. Sooner or later you will succumb to 1x. It's not a question of whether but when. Winfried too.
Old 03-28-24, 04:00 AM
Duragrouch

You mean the RD I brought to the attention of the forum several years ago? Yeah, it's good. Sooner or later you will succumb to 1x. It's not a question of whether but when. Winfried too.
1X doesn't offer me any more capability than my 2X has now. But, take that same 11-42 combined with a wide 2X like that other fellow did, that caught my attention, it would bring my low from 21 gear inches down to 15, which is exactly what a seasoned heavy tourer said he needed for the bigger hills he encountered. Around town right now, even with steep hills, don't need yet, they're not that long. Hours-long climbs, heavily loaded, I can see needing lower. You, you're light touring, you have no need for 566% range.
Old 03-28-24, 04:09 AM
Ron Damon

1X doesn't offer me any more capability than my 2X has now. But, take that same 11-42 combined with a wide 2X like that other fellow did, that caught my attention, it would bring my low from 21 gear inches down to 15, which is exactly what a seasoned heavy tourer said he needed for the bigger hills he encountered. Around town right now, even with steep hills, don't need yet, they're not that long. Hours-long climbs, heavily loaded, I can see needing lower. You, you're light touring, you have no need for 566% range.
Are you familiar with the writings of one James Thurber, Grouch? He wrote a fine short story titled The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I read it in high school, assigned reading by Father Lux for sophomore English class in my Jesuit high school in NYC. I'll let you Google the gist of the story, but I think it's appropriate for this 566% gear range. It's aspirational, it's a Walter Mitty gear range for a folder.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 03-28-24 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-28-24, 07:46 PM
Duragrouch

Are you familiar with the writings of one James Thurber, Grouch? He wrote a fine short story titled The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I read it in high school, assigned reading by Father Lux for sophomore English class in my Jesuit high school in NYC. I'll let you Google the gist of the story, but I think it's appropriate for this 566% gear range. It's aspirational, it's a Walter Mitty gear range for a folder.
Funny. I haven't read the book but have heard of the movie, I think starring Danny Kaye, but have never seen it. Yeah I've read of folks that combined a sram 3x8 with a triple crank to get 72 speeds, just to prove they can. But that 566% is not like that. Like I said, 400% is adequate for me now, but I respect the judgement of experienced folks, and this tourer's blog, crazyguyonabike, said after some loaded touring on a bike friday, he lowered his gearing to 15 inch low because he needed it (I think some steep grades in scotland if I recall?), I don't recall how high a range. He also upgraded to disc brakes and related how bike friday was able to do that easy, I can't recall if they just shipped him all the new parts, or he drove down to BF in Eugene OR (he lives in Seattle WA), it's not a huge long drive. But nope, not going to change gearing now, gonna wait until I have a disc bike, just because of the number of new parts involved. Ideally, I'll just buy a disc bike with good 1X setup like yours and a front derailleur braze-on, and just add a 2X crank and shifter if needed, that's a real easy add.
Old 03-28-24, 10:28 PM
vuurmot

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Haha, actually I have been making use of the gear range rather well.
With the big apple wheels, I have been using it to go off-road and climb grassy hills, and have arrived at interesting vantage points.
Just look at it as being able to unlock more paths and having more freedom
Likes For vuurmot: