Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Terminate a Sturmey Archer cable

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 12:32 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is almost a cross-post. The generally super helpful peeps at the Mechanic's forum have been silent - perhaps because my hastily written question was unclear.

The cable that came with my new Sturmey Archer SRC3 was way too long so I cut it and the housing (at the hub end) after getting some connector sleeves from the local bait and tackle shop.

This thread in C&V describes the process somewhat:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t-Cable-Crimps

but I cannot crimp the sleeves without deforming them to the point where they no longer fit into the threaded connector (anchorage?). I initially used a wire stripper/crimper, and then also tried a bike specific cable cutter/crimper (I know that crimper is for cable housing ends - but it seemed worth a try). Then I tried to solder with flux on the cable, some electrical solder and a torch, but that also left a lump too large to fit into the connector and didn't make a very strong connection anyway.

Alternatively, would one of these anchorages

https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturm...her-parts.html

work with the new SA hubs? I guess the question may be, is the indicator chain that comes with the new kits backward compatible with the old style anchorage that uses a nut and bolt to attach the cable?

If anyone could suggest another approach or specific tools or techniques I'd be grateful.

thanks!

Last edited by atoms; 08-30-11 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fix some sloppy grammar
Old 08-30-11, 01:07 PM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but I cannot crimp the sleeves without deforming them to the point where they no longer fit into the threaded connector (anchorage?). I initially used a wire stripper/crimper, and then also tried a bike specific cable cutter/crimper (I know that crimper is for cable housing ends - but it seemed worth a try). Then I tried to solder with flux on the cable, some electrical solder and a torch, but that also left a lump too large to fit into the connector and didn't make a very strong connection anyway.
Some people use bait shop crimps. Others use electrical butt joint connectors. Others use a small section of copper tube and solder. Whatever you use, make a good crimp, then take a file to the crimp/solder joint until it fits into the sleeve.

Or follow the thread starting here.
Old 08-30-11, 01:39 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by w1gfh
...Whatever you use, make a good crimp, then take a file to the crimp/solder joint until it fits into the sleeve.
A file! Awesome! thanks! oh, I just used my entire week's allotment of exclamation points... I'll be offline for a while with a file...

Originally Posted by w1gfh
Or follow the thread starting here.
That thread came up in my searches, but it was so huge that I figured it could not possibly be about cabling. But now that I know a bit more about the wonderful world of IGHs I realize that it should have been no surprise.
Old 08-30-11, 02:56 PM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up breaking off the hollow pins from an octal (vacuum) tube plug. But whatever you press into service as a crimp end, make sure it has a strong mechanical connection to the cable, before and after filing. You don't want to do this twice!

Old 08-30-11, 03:08 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again. I crimped it very hard in two places 90 degrees apart (as suggested in another thread). Then, inspired by your file suggestion but somehow unable to find a metal file in the house, I used a grinding wheel on my Dremel. Worked like a charm. It held fine during a shakedown ride around the park.
Old 08-30-11, 05:43 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Dremel=21st century file

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-08-11, 12:59 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Plan B:

Best $5 I ever spent at the LBS.

The crimped and filed sleeve held up for about a week. Then, on my way to a meeting downtown it failed and I had to ride all the way there and back in 3rd gear. Not fun given that I have the bike geared up pretty high - 52 x 18.
Old 09-08-11, 01:07 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
The anchorage sheldon has will work.
Old 09-08-11, 01:47 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
The anchorage sheldon has will work.
Yes. I'm guessing it is the same one.

Nice Kilo! At least there is one more BF user's bike for whom no forum is exactly appropriate.
Old 09-08-11, 02:29 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Ask Willard?