Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2 speed donor- this Raleigh Royale?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 06:44 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First off, forgive me if this is not the ideal forum for this post. I have no intention of preserving whatever I find for my 2 speed build, but on the bright side, I am looking for a low end / mid-range 80s or 90s steel MTB, so it wouldn't have much preservation value anyway. If there is a better forum for this question, please let me know.

For my next build I plan to build a two speed commuter/utility/daily rider based on the abovementioned MTB donor. My question for you is, can you tell me anything about this particular bike? Can you narrow down a year? I'm assuming that it is steel since it has lugs, but I dunno - were early aluminum bikes lugged? I've googled and googled but I'm mostly only getting hits for a road bike with that name, not a MTB.

My criteria:
- steel frame
- horizontal dropouts (as I'll be removing the derailler)
- cantilever brake bosses (need room for fenders and possibly larger tires)
- tall frame (I'm 6' 4")
-< $100 (but I'm not asking what this particular bike is worth )

I've been searching my local craigslist for antelope|sierra|cimarron|crosscut|iguana|frontier|hood|hardrock for the last month or two and I'm finding nothing appropriate in my size (20"+).

The craigslist ad says:
FOR SALE RALEIGH ROYALE MOUNTAIN BIKE 18 SPEED GOOD WORKING BIKE ASKING 50 THANKS
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/2816395524.html
Here is a pic from the ad, mostly for when the ad goes away:

Last edited by atoms; 02-09-12 at 06:52 PM. Reason: i caint spell!
Old 02-10-12, 08:50 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 6"4' as well and I don't think that this particular MTB is big enough for you. If you are going MTB, look for a 23" frame.

What kind of 2 speed build are you doing? I thought about going MTB with mine, but the 2 speed hub I built around had a coaster brake so I didn't want the clutter of the canti brake posts. I wound up using a Schwinn Continental frame for my build. Much easier to find a big frame in those as well.

Old 02-10-12, 10:47 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I think that you want a larger frame for street riding than you would want for off road use. I'm 5'9" and my 22" MB-2 frame seems perfect for street only use.

Old 02-10-12, 01:20 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm 6-2 and that would probably be too small for me; look for something a bit taller. That said, just about everything about that bike is about right. I have a Nishiki (built in the Raleigh plant in Kent, WA) hybrid that is similar and it's been a good urban commuter for me.

You may want to look at the road bikes as well to get a taller frame. I am currently doing a 2-speed conversion of a 1983 Raleigh Marathon (after my rear derailleur hanger was damaged). I bet it would work out pretty decent for your uses. Mine is a 25" frame; they made 27" frames as well.

I scored a 700C 2-speed hub (sadly, no coaster brake) from Craigslist for a good price. Eventually I'll update the seat and handlebars; those are just on there while I build up.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-10-12, 07:48 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses and the pics of all those great bikes - thanks for the inspiration/encouragement!

My current daily rider is a 3 speed based on an '88 Le Tour frame.

(it has a red saddle and pedals now) I love it, but I want to go even simpler and given that I only use two of the three gears it seems like a two speed is the way to go. The two speed build will be another version of this bike: fenders, racks, lights, bell, in other words, an all purpose year-round daily rider (in mostly flat Chicago).

I've ruled out a road bike donor based on bad experiences trying to get the fenders to work right on the Le Tour. There just isn't enough room on the Le Tour frame even when using smaller wheels (700c vs the 27" it originally came with). Keeping them adjusted is a pain, and today they pretty much filled up with snow, slowing me down on what could have otherwise been a fun ride in the snow. I realize that a Continental would give me more room, but I think I want to keep the the weight down to cro-moly range.

The coaster brake on the other hand, was awesome in the snow, so I'll be going that route for a rear brake anyway on the two speed. I can live with a couple of extra bosses on the rear stays.

People selling old MTBs don't seem to know or care what their frame size is. Should I be looking for bike with a tall head-tube then? Or what?
thanks!

Last edited by atoms; 02-10-12 at 07:51 PM. Reason: an rare attack of humility
Old 02-10-12, 10:17 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Yeah, that's real close to what I have planned for the blue Raleigh above.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."