Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

BIG locks cut!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

BIG locks cut!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 02:39 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
Dumb question. How hard are these locks to pick?

I ask because I can think of only 3 basic reasons to do this. First to just plain meanness. Second the rack owner, landlord or municipality, didn't want the locks on their rack. Third to steal the lock. If you want to steal the lock for value picking it rather than cutting it would seem like a good idea.
not dumb.

the abus lock would be considered "pickable". this is generally not done, even by locksmiths. i'm not sure if the lock had features to make it difficult to pick (eg mushroom pins) but it was keyed in a way that would make picking it difficult.

the M18 would be "theoretically pickable". there are tools available that could pick it, and also "decode" it so a key can be made.

in practice, the chances of both locks being picked are up there with being chopped with hand-tools... not likely.
Old 06-29-13, 05:08 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
not dumb.

the abus lock would be considered "pickable". this is generally not done, even by locksmiths. i'm not sure if the lock had features to make it difficult to pick (eg mushroom pins) but it was keyed in a way that would make picking it difficult.

the M18 would be "theoretically pickable". there are tools available that could pick it, and also "decode" it so a key can be made.

in practice, the chances of both locks being picked are up there with being chopped with hand-tools... not likely.
Both of those seem to be Disc Detainer locks, as opposed to standard pin tumbler locks. Picking those are a real pain, even for someone with a background in lock picking. I'm decent at picking pin tumbler locks, but disc detainer locks have completely different internal designs, and a very different feel. The time and equipment to pick these locks quickly and easily is beyond the scope of most thieves; the skills take a while to develop, the tools aren't cheap and practice locks are hard to come by (You could start trying to pick commercial locks, but jumping right in can be an exercise in extreme frustration.)

I think pick based attacks are unlikely considering the ease of destructive access, but may be used in one of those high end, steal to order bike thief rings that you hear about.
Old 06-29-13, 05:25 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by fuzz2050
Both of those seem to be Disc Detainer locks, as opposed to standard pin tumbler locks.

I think pick based attacks are unlikely considering the ease of destructive access, but may be used in one of those high end, steal to order bike thief rings that you hear about.
the abus is a "regular" 5-pin lock. some sources say it's got mushroom pins, but otherwise it's nothing fancy... except that it's keyed with short pins behind long pins, which would make it more difficult to pick. it may even be practical to drill it... if someone knows where to drill.

any "pro" bike-thief would just chop the lock, not pick it. it's ALWAYS faster, with the right tools... unless you're dealing with dollar-store locks, in which case picking (or shimming) may be just as fast as chopping. for really high-end bikes, they'll chop the bike out from the lock, then sell the components and toss the frame. there are stories of people getting a "really good deal" on an expensive bike or frame at a flea-market, and then finding that a sticker wrapped around the frame was hiding where the frame was chopped
Old 07-01-13, 11:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
re: "i still think the landlord/property manager thought the locks were abandoned, but doesn't want to own-up to it, since he didn't talk to the tenants first."

this.

I had a landlord throw out my 4Runner truck top without askign. I filed a small claims suit and negotiated a settlement for 50%

... landlords think they own the place ... go figure ...
Old 07-01-13, 11:26 AM
redbuda
Taco Member

Bikes: Volkscycle Pub Cruiser, Campy SS Cruiser, Cannondale M400

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I don't see the point in leaving locks at bike racks. I just always have mine on me. I see it the same as locking a bike and leaving it a few night unattended. You gave someone more chances/time to steal it. Sorry for the loss though.
Old 07-01-13, 12:07 PM
xlDooM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
... landlords think they own the place ... go figure ...
Old 07-01-13, 02:20 PM
seashmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not that it makes any difference, but when I was in 8th grade, someone stole the cheap K-mart lock off my bike, but left the bike. So, not only was the punk a jerk, but he was an idiot, too. Determined to not be intimidated or bullied, I rode again the next day (probably using my sister's matching lock since she didn't ride to school) and caught the kid as he was trying to steal that one.

Some people never grow out of that teenaged jerk stage.
Old 07-02-13, 09:50 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Hand held solid oxy torch will cut thru any lock you can buy......doesn't matter what it's made out of.Takes less than a minute to cut thru any lock,well,unless it's ceramic.

If somebody wants your bike/lock bad enough,it's gone.The only way to really keep your bike is to keep an eye on it,though that's not always possible.

Last edited by Booger1; 07-02-13 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-02-13, 08:56 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
Hand held solid oxy torch will cut thru any lock you can buy......doesn't matter what it's made out of.Takes less than a minute to cut thru any lock,well,unless it's ceramic.

If somebody wants your bike/lock bad enough,it's gone.The only way to really keep your bike is to keep an eye on it,though that's not always possible.
Can one of those go through Ti? We might have found the one attack that the TiGr is actually strong against?
Old 07-02-13, 11:03 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by redbuda
I guess I don't see the point in leaving locks at bike racks. I just always have mine on me. I see it the same as locking a bike and leaving it a few night unattended. You gave someone more chances/time to steal it. Sorry for the loss though.
because i don't want to carry around ≈6Kg/13lbs of locks with me.

and... who the hell would go through the trouble of "stealing" these locks? especially when one of them can't be removed without destroying it?

i do carry an NY-STD as an "everyday" lock.

Originally Posted by Booger1

with a plasma cutter, it would take 2-3 minutes to chop an M18 off a rack (excluding set-up time). a gas torch would take longer, and either way there'd likely be slag in the ground.

it's also unlikely that any kind of thermal cutting tool was used, because the chain was wrapped tightly around the rack, and the rack doesn't have any burn/melt marks.

my money is on an AC angle grinder. either with an extension cord during business hours, or an inverter in the van, parked a few feet away.

Originally Posted by fuzz2050
Can one of those go through Ti? We might have found the one attack that the TiGr is actually strong against?
Symbol: Ti
Electron configuration: [Ar] 3d2 4s2
Melting point: 1,668 °C
Atomic number: 22
Atomic mass: 47.867 ± 0.001 u

looks like a propane torch would melt a TiGr, if it's pure Ti. i'm sure there are Ti alloys with higher melting temperatures.
Old 07-02-13, 11:20 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Symbol: Ti
Electron configuration: [Ar] 3d2 4s2
Melting point: 1,668 °C
Atomic number: 22
Atomic mass: 47.867 ± 0.001 u

looks like a propane torch would melt a TiGr, if it's pure Ti. i'm sure there are Ti alloys with higher melting temperatures.
Most titanium things are alloys, probably with a higher melting point. Also, copper melts at a considerably lower temperature than Ti, but you'd have one hell of a time reducing copper to a puddle with a propane torch. Oxy/gas cutting torches don't work by melting the metal, they work by heating the metal and then burning it away (ok, oxidizing it away).

I'm still not sure if Ti is vulnerable to this kind of attack, and it's of minimal relevance to the question at hand.
Old 07-03-13, 04:27 AM
RyderTheRider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sucks. My paranoia is one of the reasons I don't commute to work much on my bike. I'd never leave locks behind though.
Old 07-03-13, 07:37 AM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redbuda
Because locks are heavy, and the place I park most often is the place I (usually) want my heaviest, most secure lock. I always carry a lesser (lighter) one for short/unplanned stops, but given that I have to park in essentially the same place every day I ride to work, it makes much more sense to park the heavy lock. Of course, my bike rack is inside an underground, attended garage, so the only real risk is the landlord.
Old 07-03-13, 01:34 PM
redbuda
Taco Member

Bikes: Volkscycle Pub Cruiser, Campy SS Cruiser, Cannondale M400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CptjohnC
it makes much more sense to park the heavy lock. Of course, my bike rack is inside an underground, attended garage, so the only real risk is the landlord.

Makes sense now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
072609-bike_lock_fail.jpg (43.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-03-13, 02:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
wow, 41 second video... not good.
Old 07-05-13, 12:13 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Could have been this guy:

Old 07-05-13, 06:28 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
This happened to my friend here. At least the city leaves your lock for you.

I have that same lock and it can be broken in seconds. The OP like many others leave their bikes locked in full view where the cooks can steal them. Unless I can see the bike, it's never placed in full view. The common misconception is that crooks never steal bikes in front of dozens, hundreds or thousands of people. Nothing could be futher from the truth.

Next time, hide or place the bike far from foot traffic if possilbe.
Old 07-05-13, 08:19 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's probably the landlord, though I suspect that even it was, the police couldn't do anything, since removing abandoned bike locks from his property is property maintenance, not theft. Weird that he wouldn't just say so, though...probably doesn't want you trying to get compensation or something from him.

If not him, then probably another regular user of the bike rack who's pissed about there always being locks attached. I find just leaving your crap behind you to be pretty inconsiderate behaviour. I don't know about this rack specifically, but I have encountered racks that are made much harder to connect to securely (with just a u-lock) because there's a pile of locks there.
Old 07-05-13, 10:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
with a plasma cutter, it would take 2-3 minutes to chop an M18 off a rack (excluding set-up time). a gas torch would take longer, and either way there'd likely be slag in the ground.
Yep. Easier (and quieter) to just jack the lock apart.
Old 07-05-13, 10:37 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Now that the OP has clarified the cable may have been the weak link, I guess that also raises the question of whether it was properly secured.

I had a bike stolen while locked with a cable, and I suspect I may have made a stupid error. It's possible I locked it to the end post of a free-standing rack, and all the thief had to do was lift the rack and work the cable down over the "inverted- T"-shaped foot of the rack. I knew better than to lock it like that, but might have done it that one time, due to a moment of inattention.
Old 07-05-13, 10:41 AM
aglauser

Bikes: Surly LHT, Kona Big Honzo, CX frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Seems like that would be a hard case to make to an insurance company. "uh yeah, I left my bike locks on a public bike rack, and they were stolen. Can I get that covered please?"
Why is this different from having a bike stolen from a public rack?
Old 07-05-13, 11:10 AM
Zephri
K0UGR

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
a portable angel grinder or portable plasma cutter will do the job in a minute or two.
Not even that, 20-40 seconds at the most, also don't forget portable band saws. Bike locks are just not secure against power tools.

Last edited by Zephri; 07-05-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 01:40 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by tcs
Yep. Easier (and quieter) to just jack the lock apart.
i don't think that'll work well, if at all, against an M18... but it won't work at all against a chain that's wrapped tightly around the rack.
Old 07-05-13, 01:43 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Zephri
Not even that, 20-40 seconds at the most, also don't forget portable band saws. Bike locks are just not secure against power tools.
band-saw vs hardened steel? unless it's got a "special" blade, pack a lunch...
Old 07-05-13, 02:11 PM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
I'd take odds that he was lying. This person (or one of their employees) would have the most likely reason for removing the items, and saying they didn't is an easy way to deal with someone likely to complain/rant about the removal.
sue 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.