Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Other brands of wheels like aerospoke? 4/5/6 spoke wheels?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Other brands of wheels like aerospoke? 4/5/6 spoke wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 10:40 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Razzlesnaps
im going to go to a powder coating shop and have the frame and fork and crankset and arms custom colored to a seafoam color and if i can take out the components inside the wheel set of say the TMC 5 spoke wheel ill get those custom colored the same as the frame. I wanna ride in style and make the general population envy my ride.
Old 09-10-14, 11:01 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
Sympathy
Old 09-10-14, 12:28 PM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-10-14, 04:37 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I've never understood the benefit or appeal of those types of wheels.
Old 09-10-14, 07:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
I've never understood the benefit or appeal of those types of wheels.
Son, clearly you ain't got that Hashtag: YOLOSWAG. Them jonxes make you like a billion time fast and give you much watts, bro! "Mehmehmeh look at me I have stoopid metal spokes like a baby and go real slow and don't drink PBR" I am going to watch sports ironically just because I am so disappoint in you!
Old 09-10-14, 08:02 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Son, clearly you ain't got that Hashtag: YOLOSWAG. Them jonxes make you like a billion time fast and give you much watts, bro! "Mehmehmeh look at me I have stoopid metal spokes like a baby and go real slow and don't drink PBR" I am going to watch sports ironically just because I am so disappoint in you!
Good lord... its like a hipster exploded.
Old 09-10-14, 08:38 PM
mizzanthrowpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heymatthew
Is there any way we can make them all explode?
Old 09-10-14, 08:43 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mizzanthrowpe
Is there any way we can make them all explode?
I literally laughed out loud at this. Haha!
Old 09-11-14, 12:23 AM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you really want them to envy you...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Big-wheel-bike-rider.jpg (79.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 09-11-14, 06:20 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by escarpment
If you really want them to laugh at you when you fall on your face...

ftfy
Old 09-11-14, 12:04 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by heymatthew
Yup everything above was unabashed brilliance. I laughed, I cried...I still don't understand aerospokes or their ridiculous price for a seemingly heavy plastic wheel.
Old 09-11-14, 12:09 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
Yup everything above was unabashed brilliance. I laughed, I cried...I still don't understand aerospokes or their ridiculous price for a seemingly heavy plastic wheel.
They carry them at a bike shop in the next town over from me (we don't have a bike shop here ). I gave 'em a look when I was in there last time and I just don't see it.

I remember being a kid and I saved up money all summer to buy a Dyno Compe and I just HAD to have the mag wheels on it. Those things were the clunkiest damn wheels ever made and I managed to snap one while jumping ramps with my friends one day. My 11-year-old self sure thought I was hot stuff riding around on them, though. In hindsight, I should have just gone with regular spoke wheels because that's exactly what I ended up with once my mom found out how much a replacement mag wheel would cost.
Old 09-11-14, 12:47 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I bought one because I got it brand new from Aerospoke for $200. I wouldn't have paid full price for it. I thought it looked cool but way too heavy. If it was a carbon fiber rim with reduced weight then it would seem purposeful but at about 3 pounds it wasn't worth it for me. I sold it for what I bought it for. I bought a pair of 88mm carbon clinchers for $400 that combined weigh 1900g vs 1300g for the front aerospoke.

Last edited by AristoNYC; 09-11-14 at 08:32 PM. Reason: corrected the weight value.
Old 09-11-14, 12:55 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC
I bought one because I got it brand new from Aerospoke for $200. I wouldn't have paid full price for it. I thought it looked cool but way too heavy. If it was a carbon fiber rim with reduced weight then it would seem purposeful but at about 5 pounds it wasn't worth it for me. I sold it for what I bought it for. I bought a pair of 88mm carbon clinchers for $400 that combined weigh less than the aerospoke.
I had the same thought as you when I checked one out at the bike shop. It was just heavy and clunky and, in my opinion, didn't add any considerable value to the bike other than "street cred" and monetary value from a $400+ wheel.
Old 09-11-14, 01:39 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Razzlesnaps

Wheelchair wheels? On a bike? I dunno man...
Old 09-11-14, 01:59 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by escarpment
If you really want them to envy you...

ABD, bro.
Old 09-11-14, 07:08 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC
I bought one because I got it brand new from Aerospoke for $200. I wouldn't have paid full price for it. I thought it looked cool but way too heavy. If it was a carbon fiber rim with reduced weight then it would seem purposeful but at about 5 pounds it wasn't worth it for me. I sold it for what I bought it for. I bought a pair of 88mm carbon clinchers for $400 that combined weigh less than the aerospoke.

I'm not in the market for new wheels or anything, but I checked weights for a front 700c Aerospoke wheel and the claimed weight was 1274 grams or 2.8 pounds. Since I didn't have a frame of reference I looked up the listings from our good pals at Weight Weenies and saw that many complete wheels (not including tires/"tyres") were actually quite a bit heavier than Aerospokes in the "Road Wheels" section.

I've also physically held one before and they felt lighter than my 30mm profile Velocity wheels. So I'm not sure where everyone's getting their claimed weights from or anecdotal evidence that they are HEAVY.

Am I missing something here? Looking a little into it has led me to believe they aren't the "boat anchors" everyone says they are.

EDIT:

So I guess I was looking at the wrong values, those were the combined weights of both of front and rear wheels. So uh.....yeah....my bad.

Last edited by GhostSS; 09-11-14 at 07:30 PM. Reason: I can't read
Old 09-11-14, 08:29 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for correcting me, I meant to write 3 not 5 pounds.
Most people who use these wheels will not be using them for their "aerodynamic" advantage so the additional weight of the wheel is not necessary.
So for $450 msrp you get one 1300g aerospoke front wheel
For $250 msrp you get a 1700g wheelset from Wabi GX.

They are definitely heavy (in bike world, about 1 pound heavier than most front wheels) especially compared to my Wabis or even my 88mm carbon wheels.
Again, they look cool, can possibly be aerodynamic enough to make a difference but for the market price of $450 I don't think they are worth it.

Last edited by AristoNYC; 09-11-14 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-08-16, 01:12 PM
strugfit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi. i just made this account so i could ask you what jonxes means. is it synonymous with jawns which itself is a slang substitute for the word 'thing'? also what is its origin? i love picking up niche slang here and there. thanks.

regarding the actual topic of discussion, unless ur running hed or vision trispokes dont bother. everything else looks like garbage. i still need to read about aerospoke wheels but they seem ok as a budget carbon wheel with this aesthetic which is what its all about at this level of discussion, aesthetics. spokes are still sexy. traditional spokes are still sexy rock em. heck maybe get a wheel built with spokes that have an aerodynamic profile just so you can talk about how they have such a profile. idk. spokes bro.
Old 10-08-16, 05:18 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, boy....looks like a new troll dredging up zombie threads....
Old 10-08-16, 09:30 PM
strugfit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Oh, boy....looks like a new troll dredging up zombie threads....
bruh plz im no troll. im serious about all i said. who makes an account on a thing for a single troll sesh.
Old 10-10-16, 07:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by strugfit
hi. i just made this account so i could ask you what jonxes means. is it synonymous with jawns which itself is a slang substitute for the word 'thing'? also what is its origin? i love picking up niche slang here and there. thanks.

regarding the actual topic of discussion, unless ur running hed or vision trispokes dont bother. everything else looks like garbage. i still need to read about aerospoke wheels but they seem ok as a budget carbon wheel with this aesthetic which is what its all about at this level of discussion, aesthetics. spokes are still sexy. traditional spokes are still sexy rock em. heck maybe get a wheel built with spokes that have an aerodynamic profile just so you can talk about how they have such a profile. idk. spokes bro.
Why in the heck did you dig up an old thread from 2014 to ask that? Jonxes is junk or things or bric-a-brac or knick knacks or tchotchkes.

The discussion is long over. Aerospokes and other similar type wheels are stupid and will always be stupid.
Old 10-11-16, 10:38 PM
strugfit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why in the heck did you dig up an old thread from 2014 to ask that? Jonxes is junk or things or bric-a-brac or knick knacks or tchotchkes.

The discussion is long over. Aerospokes and other similar type wheels are stupid and will always be stupid.
lol i was reading about wheels and came upon this ancient thread. thanks for the clarification on that word man and for the additional synonyms. also tho the discussion is most definitely long over as you said i wanted to address the question at hand since i didnt wanna just post about some extraneous ****.

thanks again,

strugfit
Old 01-10-17, 02:08 PM
Argonrepublic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here I am! Another troll digging up an old thread.

All you that are so concerned about weight and crosswinds remind me of my fan club that insist on lifting my bike every time I stop for a shot of Vodka.

They never ask how many Gs it pulls, they never ask how many Kms I can overcome in a day ( 650 is my top )

They never ask my top speed.

They love the look of my bike and I could get sponsors just sitting still ( like the Toronto maple leafs )

I found this forum because I am aching for a set of 5 spoke wheels.

I strap an 80 pound ballast to my bike every Sunday because I am in it for the challenge and I look damn good doing it.

So why not have Wheels that look Damn good. To make it even more enticing, why not ride for fun on 5 spokes and throw on the Zipps when it's time to chew up self proclaimed Pro riders.
Old 01-10-17, 02:15 PM
Argonrepublic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh. Sorry... I mssed you.

Maybe 5 spokes are stupid. But you'd look stupid if I blew past you with a cigarette in 1 hand, flask of Vodka in the other and a pair of lime Green Aerospoke wheels. I am quite certain that would be the outcome. Never judge the taste of another. We all have our reasons.
I am an exception because not only am I the fastest that has ever given you 30 seconds of their time, me and my Bike probably look nicer too. Just wait until I get my 5 spokes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.