Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Opinions on these single speed/fixed gear bikes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 06:17 AM
dejfatman

Bikes: 1989 Single Speed Raleigh Ovation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently ride a single speed for commuting, but my single speed I use for longer leasure rides has been taken over by one of my sons. I'm looking to get a new, nicer single speed to replace it. I've been looking through Craigslist and I've been in contact with sellers for these bikes:

1) 54cm custom built single speed - this bike seems like a quality build in terms of the components he listed. However, he said the frame is an aluminum 'Access' frame from Performance Bicycles - I cannot find anything on it. I'm not really familiar with the Suzue hubs he used, and the rims have a 'Niobium' sticker - not sure how good this wheelset really is. I'd also swap the bars for drops. $550 is asking price - is this worth it?

2) White Vintage Fixed Gear - Kilo TT custom build. He said it has an Origin 8 Pro-pulsion crank and Origin 8 hubs with H Plus son Tb14 rims. The bike has no brakes, and is set up fixed, so I'd have to put brakes and a freewheel on. Again, not sure about the wheelset. $450 asking price seems since he claims hardly ridden and assuming the wheelset is considered a good upgrade.

3) road bike great condition - He has it listed as a "Winston", so I contacted him, and he confirmed it is a Windsor Clockwork. He was unsure of the size, but it looks like a 53cm via a Google search, which should be my size. I'm assuming it is stock, but he's only asking $150, so I could use the savings to upgrade.

Any thoughts on the best option?
Old 07-01-15, 06:35 AM
pitbullfan

Bikes: 1/8th inch Scrambler FG, Masi Coltello FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#kilott
Old 07-01-15, 06:50 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3 is the only one there worth the asking price.
Old 07-01-15, 07:11 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Yeah, I'd go for the Windsor Clockwork, which sells new for $289.95 on bikesdirect. The only really cheap part on it is the seatpost, which is easily replaced. The stock tires are ok to get started, but you'll probably end up changing them as well. Finally, stock gearing is pretty high, so a different freewheel will probably be needed. I've got one of the older models, which I picked up on closeout for only $169.95, and I converted it into a nice townie with a front basket for a total cost less than $300.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-01-15, 07:24 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"white vintage fixed gear" hahaha
Old 07-01-15, 07:39 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the frame on the white one is awfully small
dont buy too small
seems when it comes to fixed gear bikes there are a lot of small ones out there
Old 07-01-15, 08:02 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Taken from the second ad:

"The frame is a 53 cm Kilo tt frame which fits people 5'6 to 5'10"

I really hate to see this. As someone that is just a hair under 6'0", there is no way in hell that I would even come close to fitting on that frame. Or a 54, or a 56 for that matter.

That being said, number 3 is a pretty decent option if it fits you.
Old 07-01-15, 10:43 AM
dejfatman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
53 kilo is a bad fit?

Why would you say the fit is wrong? I'm 5'8" and thought the 53 would be about right.
Old 07-01-15, 10:49 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...ead-first.html
Old 07-01-15, 12:05 PM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with the Windsor as well. If it's your size, it'll give you a good starting point and you can upgrade from there a piece at a time. That's what I'm currently doing with my bike. Also, bike fit is not a science. I'm somewhere about 6'1' or so and I ride a 55 or 56. I tend to use a shorter stem (90 or 100mm) with a little more rise. But I have fairly short legs (31" inseam). Technically, I should be riding a 58, but I've never been comfortable on a 58.

The thread above should give you a good idea, but until you're actually ON a bike, you won't know how it feels to you. Bike fit charts tell me to buy 57/58. I prefer 55/56.

The Windsor is a good starting point, though.
Old 07-01-15, 01:47 PM
dejfatman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heymatthew
I'd go with the Windsor as well. If it's your size, it'll give you a good starting point and you can upgrade from there a piece at a time. That's what I'm currently doing with my bike. Also, bike fit is not a science. I'm somewhere about 6'1' or so and I ride a 55 or 56. I tend to use a shorter stem (90 or 100mm) with a little more rise. But I have fairly short legs (31" inseam). Technically, I should be riding a 58, but I've never been comfortable on a 58.

The thread above should give you a good idea, but until you're actually ON a bike, you won't know how it feels to you. Bike fit charts tell me to buy 57/58. I prefer 55/56.

The Windsor is a good starting point, though.
I've ridden a few 21 inch road bikes, and liked the fit, and I did that calculator in the sizing link a couple years ago - it recommended 53cm - 56cm depending on riding style. I was just surprised that TenSpeedV2 said he couldn't ride a 53, a 54, or even a 56cm at his 5'10" height. I thought he might be implying that there was some weird sizing anomoly with the Kilo TT.

Anyways, I'm trying to get more info on the Windsor, but the seller hasn't replied. The Windsor looks small to me, and I want to know what size it is. I looked for pics online of other ones, and it looks like it may be a 52. I'm not sure how I'd like that fit.
Old 07-01-15, 01:57 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dejfatman
I've ridden a few 21 inch road bikes, and liked the fit, and I did that calculator in the sizing link a couple years ago - it recommended 53cm - 56cm depending on riding style. I was just surprised that TenSpeedV2 said he couldn't ride a 53, a 54, or even a 56cm at his 5'10" height. I thought he might be implying that there was some weird sizing anomoly with the Kilo TT.

Anyways, I'm trying to get more info on the Windsor, but the seller hasn't replied. The Windsor looks small to me, and I want to know what size it is. I looked for pics online of other ones, and it looks like it may be a 52. I'm not sure how I'd like that fit.

Like I said... Fit isn't a science. We could be the same size, but prefer completely different jeans.

Definitely look at the Windsor. It's not already "customized" to someone else and it's cheap so you'll have plenty of cash left over to fix it up. And it's got decent components already so you can ride it a while without messing with it.
Old 07-01-15, 02:00 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't buy a bike that doesn't fit.
Old 07-01-15, 02:00 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Don't buy a bike that doesn't fit.
That, too.
Old 07-02-15, 08:21 AM
garlic_rice

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Windsor possibly being too small, you should definitely take it around the block before buying. If it fits, it would be a great commuter for the price.
Also with that "vintage" (2010 is vintage?!) Kilo, keep in mind that it's set up as a brakeless fixed gear. If you plan on riding it as a single-speed freewheeler, you'll have to buy a freewheel, brakes, brake levers, possibly bar wrap if you get drop levers.
Old 07-02-15, 08:33 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dejfatman
Why would you say the fit is wrong? I'm 5'8" and thought the 53 would be about right.
I am 5 9 I bought a 53, sold it the next week, I ride a Purefix 56 and an SE Lager 58 53 is very small, I think too small for 5' 8
Old 07-02-15, 02:14 PM
dejfatman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the Windsor guy has gone silent. The custom build is too pricey for me. The Kilo guy is now offering for $350. If it fits OK, I'm thinking that isn't a bad deal. If it is really new as he says with custom wheels, it's $50 bucks cheaper than if I buy from BD. But yes, I'd have to buy brakes and SS freewheel, which I've spec'ed out to about $115 for what I want. So, I'm still on the fence with that one. I did see this guy too - 1987 Centurion Le Mans RS with Tange 2 tubing, and a carbon fork. Already single speed with brakes. I don't like the Surly bars, but he said he'd throw in drop bars too. I'm not familiar with this bike, so not sure if this would be a good buy for $230. Anyone have an opinion on the Kilo or Le Mans?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/5097874676.html

Last edited by dejfatman; 07-02-15 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Old 07-02-15, 02:34 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
I'm not trying to confuse you, but maybe you should consider something like this >>> Save Up To 60% Off Windsor Fixie Singlespeed Bikes - Clockwork

This way you get a new bike in the size you want with brakes and a freewheel with decent components throughout, so you don't need a lot of changes or upgrades.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me