Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I haven't flatted since 2019

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Why haven't I flatted since 2019?
You aren't riding enough.
50.00%
​​​​​​You're not spending enough on tires.
15.38%
Dude, you gotta hit the gravel, brah.
7.69%
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Got ya beat! 2018!
9.62%
I uh ... um ... I don't actually ride a bike.
1.92%
Other. (I cherish independent thought.)
34.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

I haven't flatted since 2019

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-23, 01:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
put bucks that you will flat soon....mostly because you have challenged the demons of flat tires, the ying/yang of tires and in general thumbed your nose at flat tire Karma

good luck and I hope it does not rub off

independent thinking: 2 areas I worry about Jinxs Flat tires and Global Maintenance events when we bring thousands of engineers down world wide

Last edited by squirtdad; 06-26-23 at 02:49 PM.
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-26-23, 01:43 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
I haven't flatted in years now. I ride a mixture of tires on varying surfaces. I have had fragile tires never flat, and have had catastrophic failures on gatorskins (glass shard). By typing this, I will now flat on every ride for the next month 😂

Considering I ride gravel, path, road, and urban regularly enough I don't see much of a difference, although I tend to pick up cuts most regularly on gravel. I'm a big man. As long as my pressures are sufficient for my weight and the tire weight I am usually good to go. I feel like modern tires are pretty good. I also don't ride in areas with goat heads or anything like that, so perhaps I am also lucky. Don't know that it makes a difference, but 75-90% of my miles are fixed gear.
Old 06-26-23, 02:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
From 2017-mid 2021 I switched to mostly thin, lightweight tires like the Soma Supple Vitesse SL with latex tubes on my road bikes. My heavy duty tires were Continental Grand Prix Classic, a really nice and remarkably supple skinwall with translucent root beer colored sidewalls, and a 1980s style raised center rib for extra pleasure... I mean wear and puncture resistance. I was trying to snag a few Strava KOMs, which I never managed, but did crack a few top tens... for awhile. Eventually younger, stronger riders pushed me off the list, as it should be. If a 60something year old man has a KOM or top ten on any worthwhile segment, it's because our competition are folks on comfort hybrids and kids on Big Wheels.

Back then I got maybe two or three puncture flats a year, averaging about 6,000 miles a year. Not bad. And the ride was really nice, especially with latex tubes. I also had a few non-puncture flats, mostly operator error: failing to prep the wheels properly for latex tubes. Vittoria and Silca (which sells relabeled Vitorria tubes) recommended tubeless tape to prep rims for latex. I was too impatient to wait for that and used some Schwalbe high pressure plastic rim tape instead which I already had. It did hold up for awhile, about a year. But the pre-punched hole for the valve was slightly oversized, just enough for the latex to extrude into the valve cutout hole. Latex tubes are basically a patchwork of overlapped and glued segments at the base of the valve stem and need more support than that rim strip could offer. So that's where the tubes failed.

Anyway, I got sick in autumn 2021, COVID-like symptoms although no specific confirmation. Knocked me out for months and I never did fully recover. For the past year I've been puttering around at about 14 mph, way down from my 18-20 mph average pre-illness. I don't see myself improving enough to challenge for any Strava top tens again. But it was fun while it lasted.

I didn't see any reason to continue riding on fairly delicate tires and tubes so I've switched back to butyl tubes and Continental Ultra Sport 2 and 3. I don't think I've ever had a puncture flat with Conti Ultra Sport of any kind, yet they don't feel like heavy, sluggish lead filled garden hose like some puncture resistant tires. Only downside to Ultra Sport tires is they're such a tight fit I need to carry a Kool Stop bead jack in case I do need to fix a flat on the road. With my arthritic hands I can't pop a tight tire across a rim anymore. That KS bead jack weighs very little so I just stuff it into a jersey pocket. I've used it a time or two to help other folks with flats on group rides.
Old 06-26-23, 04:48 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
I voted other. These are the tyres you use:

Likes For P!N20:
Old 06-26-23, 04:52 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
I will not mock the cycling gods. After writing this I will say 20 hail campagnolo to out lady of the dura ace as an act of contrition.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-26-23, 05:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Once I got a giant nail through some tiny racing tire. 700x25 I think. Nail in and out. Once on my way to the cape, a tube lost the valve on the several blocks between Harvard's science campus and the MBTA station. I was riding the red line train to the end of the line in Braintree, which is about an hour, so I changed the tube while riding on the subway. Done before we were even downtown, and (weirdly) that train was running on time. Got a lot of weird looks tho. A friend of mine gets tons of flats, like one a month. He's on the same tires, so I don't know what's up with him. He once got a flat from an actual thumb tack, Loony Tunes style.
I had a 16d nail go through my tire and come out on the other side on the south side of Boreas Pass. The pass is an old railbed but it is steeper than most so it is really fast…the Denver, South Park and Pacific wasn’t all that good at calculating grade and they often flirted with the limits of grade for trains. I happened to pick up the nail at the exactly the bottom of a hill that goes around an old collapsed section. On the same ride, someone else wore a hole in their tire from a brake drag.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-26-23, 06:42 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
The last flat I got was June 5th. I was in my garage, about to start my commute. Valve stem failure. The best place to flat.
Old 06-27-23, 10:33 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
My last flat was on a charity ride in September 2022. I really appreciate the well meaning " Do you need a hand?"s, but 20 or 30 no thank you's later I was ready to scream it.
Old 06-27-23, 11:48 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
put bucks that you will flat soon....mostly because you have challenged the demons of flat tires, the ying/yang of tires and in general thumbed your nose at flat tire Karma

good luck and I hope it does not rub off

independent thinking: 2 areas I worry about Jinxs Flat tires and Global Maintenance events when we bring thousands of engineers down world wide
I came back to this thread to say exactly that!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-27-23, 01:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
My last flat was on a charity ride in September 2022. I really appreciate the well meaning " Do you need a hand?"s, but 20 or 30 no thank you's later I was ready to scream it.
Didn't anyone stop to supervise your flat repair? If two or three people don't stop to observe, point at stuff on your bike and grunt, you need a better class of group ride strangers.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-27-23, 04:48 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
DIdn't @rhm start a thread to track flats?
Old 06-27-23, 05:32 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
I'd say "unusually lucky". Even highly puncture-resistant tires (like Conti Gatorskins and Super Sports) or tires with flat-protection strips flat when you run over a nail you didn't see.
Agree loudly. My townie has 28mm Gatorskins, and I've patched tubes on that more than a few times. I think on a couple of occasions, it's been snake bites from some very crappy roads in my little part of the world.
Old 06-27-23, 05:38 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
Other! You’re just too darn lucky. I strongly dislike you (I’m jealous and kidding)and want whatever Kool Aid you are drinking. I get more flats than I care to count , so I don’t. At least I know that my frame pump works and my patch kit is in good order.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-27-23, 06:29 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I don't know, but I completed a detailed spreadsheet with all my flats since 2019:

Spoiler

Also, I'm sad to see you haven't voted yet ... even though I also haven't voted yet. I'm still considering all my options.

​​​​​
Old 06-27-23, 08:34 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Also, I'm sad to see you haven't voted yet ... even though I also haven't voted yet. I'm still considering all my options.

​​​​​
I figured it was rigged.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-27-23, 09:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Are you thinking of this one by @Essthreetee? https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lat-tires.html

You might be forgiven for thinking it was @rhm's thread by how much he contributed to it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-27-23, 10:47 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Are you thinking of this one by @Essthreetee? https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lat-tires.html

You might be forgiven for thinking it was @rhm's thread by how much he contributed to it.
I heard that!
I kinda miss contributing to that thread. I haven't had the time to ride much lately.

Oh, andSurferRosa , as was mentioned... you are now doomed to a nasty spate of flats. I'm sorry, i wouldn't wish it on anyone. If you don't believe me, see the thread above; for a while that thread became my official blog.

Last edited by rhm; 06-27-23 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-29-23, 07:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
I made it 4.5 years, folks!

Picked up that thumbtack on my way home today, just a couple miles out. Knew what it was, didn't pull it out, and made it home, no prob.

Good luck? Good karma? As long as it's all good...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-29-23, 07:11 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I last flatted on 11 July 2020.

But I have probably ridden much fewer miles than you in that time frame.

You can see the flatted rear:

720 7 11 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 10-29-23, 07:14 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Wheel's on backwards.
Old 10-29-23, 07:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts

Picked up that thumbtack on my way home today,
Good job centering it in the tire. If you are going to flat, at least make it look good.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-29-23, 08:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I'm a connoisseur of escaping air.

You have your roadside flats, 1am brake track failure explosions in the garage, mystery slow leaks, sidewall cuts on pristine pave, 3mm long radial tire shards that protrude 0.5mm through the tire only when rolling, self inflicted secondary flats, ballooning tire sidewall that goes thump thump thump boom flats, drywall screws, curved nails that enter the center tread and exit the sidewall, one hundred tiny glass shards picked up in one moment, thorns, volcanic rock, magical jumping expansion joint metal bit that flatted me at 2am just 1/2 mile from my hotel.

I've flatted on the Oregon coast, outside Villaines, France, in Kentucky, Indiana, Washington, west Texas, Ohio, in the middle of the 205 bridge over the Columbia River, on the Longview bridge over the Columbia river (a trend?). I've flatted in the snow, in the desert heat, in a driving rainstorm. I've flatted on a cyclocross race, on brevets, commutes, and JRA. I've flatted on a road bike, a mountain bike, a tandem, a fixie, and a unicycle. I've flatted on a steel bike, an aluminum (excuse me, alloy) bike, and a carbon bike. Why do we say alloy, anyway?

On day two of a 600k in extremely rural Kentucky, I flatted four times. On the fourth instance I was so exasperated trying to find the offending bit, I literally turned my clincher tire inside out. Didn't find a thing, and getting that tire back right-side out was a bear. Another day 2 Kentucky 600k (a trend?), the wind was so strong it blew my flat repair kit across the road, where I had to pick the important bits out of the grass.

At this very moment, my rando bike has a tubeless plug from a puncture that occurred on my October 200k (dead center on the tread), and my fixie commuter has a fresh patch from a radial tire shard.

In my youth when I rode hours and far more miles away from home than my mother ever knew, carrying nothing but a water bottle and a couple dollars, on rural Indiana gravel roads, on 70's Schwinn Approved tires, I never had a flat. Why is that?

So all y'all with no flats fearing the flat gods, no worries. I got you covered.

edit: after posting I noticed my profile pic, which is on the Oregon Coast. The rear tire at that beautiful moment is a Bontrager Hardcase, not the brand spanking new GP5000 I installed before the Seattle depart. Care to guess why?

Last edited by downtube42; 10-29-23 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-29-23, 09:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I made it 4.5 years, folks!

Picked up that thumbtack on my way home today, just a couple miles out. Knew what it was, didn't pull it out, and made it home, no prob.

Good luck? Good karma? As long as it's all good...
Vittoria Corsa G+? 28c? Love those tires! Did 30 miles on the tubulars this afternoon. (That I put on for the 2022 Cycle Oregon. Put goatheads into each that ride and got shots of sealant. Topped off each twice. Rear;s about half way through its center ribs.)

One of my first rides after I went back to tubulars summer of '22 I ran over a roofing nail. It went through my brand new Conti Giro from tread to base tape then through the dished rim surface. Brand new NOS CX30 rim. Nailed. (And I was riding sober and easy so I wasn't even hammered.) Good thing - I rode far enough on those Contis to know I didn't like them.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-29-23, 09:29 PM
tremolo1965
Human-Powered

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Suburban, 1973 Raleigh Sports, 1978 De Rosa

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 36 Posts
I flatted twice this summer, July. Lost an expensive tubular (FMB) on the rear, then the spare I stuck on there let go..

I’ll try and fix the FMB but it’s been replaced with a Panaracer practice. New FMBs will probably go on in Spring..
Old 10-29-23, 09:30 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
On GOBA this year (the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure) somebody got a flat from a 2022 GOBA lapel pin.

It's amazing how the flats go in streaks. I put 1.5" Paselas on an old Hard Rock recently, and both tires flatted the first 3 times I rode it, even when I replaced the regular tubes with thorn-resistant. Each time it was an organic thorn (probably goathead). All slow leaks so I made it home OK, but the tires were flat next day. I put some cheap, thick, Vee Rubber on it yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.