Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

"Enter the Slipstream" on Amazon: a love letter to EF

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 07:40 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts

Thanks to Eric F for the link to this documentary in the 'Unchained' thread. We watched it a few nights ago. Wife and I were already fans of EF, and having learned more about the team, we like it even more.

The doc covers the team's 2020 season and their TdF, an event that seemed like it wouldn't happen. It's not as slick or fast-moving as 'Unchained,' but that's all to the good. One team has plenty enough going on.

EF, which has been called by several names over its 12 year history, is a perennial underdog, a 'team of misfits.' As owner/manager Jonathan Vaughters explains, they can't afford to hire the 'best' riders, but can take riders who have unrealized potential and give them a chance to shine. Much is made of Vaughter's constant struggle to find and keep sponsorships; at one point he says, voice cracking, that he has two weeks, 'maybe three,' to find something like $5 million to keep the team going. Vaughters is very media savvy, and knows that this story arc is good TV; it goes hand in hand with the riders' struggles. Though EF didn't have a great 2020 or 2021 season, they survived, and we have the happy perspective of knowing that they escaped relegation in 2022, and that 2023, with young Irish phenom Ben Healy making a big splash, has already been spectacular. We will be rooting for them in LeTour!

If you have Amazon Prime, it's $5 to rent. We recommend it highly!

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-27-23 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 06-27-23, 09:14 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
thank you!
Old 06-27-23, 02:16 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
If Vaughters could refrain from being a jerk (as he was during the Giro - publicly with Pinaut), I'd like him a lot better. Clearly, he's been successful in working with the riders and resources that he has, and with only a couple notable recent exceptions, his riders go into races with great attitudes.
Old 06-28-23, 07:58 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
If Vaughters could refrain from being a jerk (as he was during the Giro - publicly with Pinaut), I'd like him a lot better. Clearly, he's been successful in working with the riders and resources that he has, and with only a couple notable recent exceptions, his riders go into races with great attitudes.
Meh. Vaughter is fiercely loyal to his riders (a quality some managers need to work on) and isn't going to keep quiet when someone blames their self-inflicted loss on one of his guys.

It would probably be a good idea for Pinot and Vaughters both to be a little calmer and more discrete. But they wouldn't be as entertaining then, would they?

Also: lol, this pretty well describes the finale of stg 13 of the Giro, which is what Pinot was so mad about.

https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/sta...779457/photo/1

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-28-23 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-28-23, 09:43 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Meh. Vaughter is fiercely loyal to his riders (a quality some managers need to work on) and isn't going to keep quiet when someone blames their self-inflicted loss on one of his guys.

It would probably be a good idea for Pinot and Vaughters both to be a little calmer and more discrete. But they wouldn't be as entertaining then, would they?

Also: lol, this pretty well describes the finale of stg 13 of the Giro, which is what Pinot was so mad about.

https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/sta...779457/photo/1
He could have said, "That's racing. Cepeda had his own objectives. Get over it." (or something to that effect), thus being supportive of his rider... and not come off as being an infant.
Old 07-01-23, 07:11 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
It’s free on Peacock for those with a subscription.