Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

RIP Gino

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 05:20 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
RIP Gino

Horrible news

https://bahraincyclingteam.com/state...ng-gino-mader/

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 06-16-23, 06:06 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Very sad...RIP
Old 06-16-23, 01:30 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
ugh
Old 06-16-23, 03:19 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
terrible. Really terrible.
Old 06-16-23, 07:24 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
So very sad.
Old 06-17-23, 01:32 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
gino...rip.

the athletes that drive this sport often make it look so easy, to our eyes, that we can occasionally forget how brutally difficult it is.

road conditions, whether it's actual road quality, narrowness, impediments-like dogs, fans or road furniture mated with rain/sleet/snow/extreme heat.

team cars and sanctioned race motorcycles that occasional impede, hit or run over riders...and the occasional local that can't be bothered with a closed road.

pushing oneself to extremes we can't even fathom where a half-second's inattention is the difference between barely making a downhill turn vs catapulting into the void.

changing weather conditions as they rise and fall between flats/foothills and mountains multiple times during multiple stages.

navigating between riders/teams changing their goal(s) on the fly on the daily.

mechanicals/flats and the occasional, total equipment failure.

ridiculous descending/sprinting speeds.

staying hydrated/fueled enough to maintain form/wits throughout.

now mix all these things (and more) into a large cauldron and stir a bit.
all these things are why we love the sport. all these things are what affects nearly every race, every time.
actually surprised the worst doesn't happen more often. go in safety, everyone.
Old 06-17-23, 09:39 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Stage 6 was still run yesterday, but neutralized, just the final 20km of the course ridden by the peloton quietly and somberly, with Bahrain riding the final 5K together in a row. A lot of Swiss fans were out, with signs and flowers, paying their respects. GCN's coverage showed the entire event, and Rob Hatch was masterful, though clearly barely keeping his own emotions under control.

We watched the entire program; it just seemed appropriate that if we're going to watch and enjoy bike races, we should share in this too. Obviously we didn't know Mader, but at 26, he was just barely younger than our son, so this hit my wife hard.

RIP Gino Mader.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 06-19-23, 12:28 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Brutal and very sad.

The peloton has a way of processing this. Not supremely well developed like the promenade to the Champs, but it's not the first one of these. Unlikely to be the last, unfortunately.

I haven't heard much about the crash, or about Magnus Sheffield's condition other than DNF and concussion. Hopefully he rallies back.

Jonathan Vaughters said something about placing netting at key drop offs, like they do at ski races. He acknowledged "too soon" but as we know with school shootings its a slippery slope from there to thoughts/prayers/nothing.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 06-20-23, 11:27 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Jonathan Vaughters said something about placing netting at key drop offs, like they do at ski races. He acknowledged "too soon" but as we know with school shootings its a slippery slope from there to thoughts/prayers/nothing.
The other day (but before Mäder's crash) I was having a conversation with my nextdoor neighbor. She's not a cyclist, but it turns out she's a bit of a racing fan. She was watching the Dauphine on Peacock and seemingly new the names of prominent racers. She mentined that this spring she had a vacation in France and that they drove the route of an upcoming TdF stage - I didn't catch which one. anyway, she exclaimed about the sheer drop-offs at some of the descent turns and said, "of course, they must put up barriers for these during the stage". I said, "No, not usually......"

It would be a huge project if they did. So many km of hazards.