Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Suspension Seatpost or Not

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 01:36 PM
milesofsmiles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am thinking about getting a suspension type seatpost for my mountain bike. Ya or na? How would I set it for seat height when it's going to change as I ride hitting bumps and the like? I have rear suspension on the bike already, do I need a suspension post?

Last edited by milesofsmiles; 08-19-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 10:46 AM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

Seeing no-one has answered I will. I can't see it. you should be off the saddle for
big bumps, and AIUI the typical preload setting on a seat post might not be passed
by a full suspension MTB. AFAIK the seat height remains the same in most cases.

rgds, sreten.
Old 08-21-13, 01:18 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the typical preload setting on a seat post might not be passed by a full suspension MTB.
Are you saying the suspension of the MTB would be sufficient and the suspension seatpost would basically have no effect? If so that's what I was wondering mainly, and the height issue. I have decided to not get a SSP and get a regular one then get a better seat.
Old 08-21-13, 04:30 PM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by milesofsmiles
Are you saying the suspension of the MTB would be sufficient and the suspension seatpost would basically have no effect? If so that's what I was wondering mainly, and the height issue. I have decided to not get a SSP and get a regular one then get a better seat.
Hi,

the way I understand a preloaded SSP basically yes, that is what I think will happen.
Also your bikes suspension will quite different over bumps if you lift off the saddle
going over bumps a little rather than remaining resolutely plonked in the saddle.

Standard technique for bumps on poor roads on normal bikes, nevermind MTB's.

rgdsm sreten.
Old 08-22-13, 01:30 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right, when standing the bike suspension will take the shock. When seated the SSP wouldn't make a big enough difference.
Old 08-22-13, 02:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I am thinking about getting a suspension type seatpost for my mountain bike. Ya or na? How would I set it for seat height when it's going to change as I ride hitting bumps and the like? I have rear suspension on the bike already, do I need a suspension post?
If you got a Bike from a Big Box store , it may resemble a Full suspension Bike in form only ..

Proper FS MTB's cost a Thousand Bucks + ..

I've got a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT on My Bike friday , I quite Like it .. it has the elastomer spring set for My weight .

want a saddle drop seat post instead ?, theres those too, handlebar lever release pops it up to the riding height

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 03:10 PM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suspension seat posts are more about road vibrations, getting used to riding makes that a bit moot generally. For true suspension like huge roots etc, they aren't going to do a lot there. True suspension on the bikes are for keeping your tires in contact with the ground to maintain control vs rider comfort and generally the rider is standing in conditions where that matters or they wouldn't have proper full control of the bike itself.

For general riding if you see a bumpy surface, get used to just putting some leg pressure in, just enough to suspend you off the saddle as you go over, not even fully standing, just rising off the saddle a bit and you'll glide right over. A bunch of rides doing this and it become easy to do and second nature.
Old 08-22-13, 09:39 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Suspension seat posts are a poor man's solution to not having a full suspension bike. They work, just not nearly as well as a full suspension, since your legs still take the full abuse.

If you already have a full suspension bike, make sure that the suspension is adjusted properly (preload and damping/rebound).
Old 08-24-13, 01:57 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As one person at the bike shop put it today, "SSPs are mainly for bikes like cruisers with suspension". I rode today and can see I need to get a better seat first so I stopped at the bike shop and got the one I was looking at last weekend. I think that will help a lot. I bought a Forte "Softail" because I don't know if I want riding shorts.

Last edited by milesofsmiles; 08-24-13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 12:54 PM
milesofsmiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode with the new seat today, it's nice. It's soft but firm and kept my rear in one place. That was on thing that was wrong with the old seat, it always felt like I was sliding toward the front of it, couldn't stay put at the back where the padding is.