Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Friends because of cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 09:09 PM
BENZ28

Bikes: Storck Aerfast, Jamis Beatnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This may not be the right place for this but wanted to share a bit of a story. I will apologize up front for it not being a "bit" of a story but a long story ;-)

About 2 years ago a friend started cycling to get out more and exercise. After a few short months he was hooked and we were riding all the time. We were very close friends. Both of our wives began cycling with us and early last year when I injured my knee I wasn't able to ride in a benefit "raise money for my wife and I to go on a mission trip". Well without the ride my wife and I wouldn't have been able to go on the trip. My buddy rode in my place and we were able to go on the trip. This meant the world to my wife and I. Needless to say we support them in anyway we can through their non-profit ministry organization. We love them like family

My friend and his wife are both missionaries in Cambodia, they have a clothing line employing acid burn victims and other women in need of valuable work for livable wages. They also have a transition home for young women who have aged out of orphanages and scholarship programs for teens seeking higher education.

A little over 2 months ago they were involved in a moto(moped) accident in the city in which they live in Cambodia. He had some bumps and brusies and was hospitalized for almost a month, she was in extremely critical condition and made it back to the states about 2 weeks ago. She had made some minor steps forward but the doctors recently told him she would never come out of the coma and would never recover. She passed away early this morning.

This may seem like a downer of a thread/post, however that isn't what I wanted when I started typing it. Mainly I wanted to say tell your friends/brothers/sisters/fellow cyclists you appreciate them, help them when they are down. May seem like a silly place to share this story but when he told me today I mainly just reflected back on the time when we spent time together riding and remember it being some of the most peaceful times and most genuine conversations.

Any way have a great evening 41.
Old 10-05-14, 09:30 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friends wife. It is heartening to know that cycling can lead to meaningful relationships rather than endless banter over crabon and average speed
Old 10-07-14, 08:58 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems all to often we get consumed by minor details. Sounds like you had good times together.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-07-14, 10:23 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for your loss. She's in a better place and the world seems worse without her.