Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The things you see out there

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The things you see out there

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 09:39 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Various forms of sexual activity . Obviously I don't' stop and take photos
Yeah!!!--- One of my frequent routes takes me on an old rails-to-trails path that passes through woods that seem like virgin wilderness to the "urbanites" that live nearby. There is a bench right in the middle of these woods, that is often, the place where gay couples like to express their emotions in nature.
Old 01-23-24, 10:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Weirdest thing I see---and I see it often--is this really ugly fat old guy who obviously is too unhealthy to be riding a bicycle.

If I keep seeing him I might have to remove the mirror on my bike.
Give him credit for trying!!!
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-23-24, 10:53 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve seen this a few times now…in SE Florida…people on bicycles that don’t have tires. Just riding along metal on pavement. I think it’s probably homeless folks so it’s kind of understandable. The last one I saw a couple days ago was making a turn…very slowly and methodically. Certainly can’t be much traction on either wheel.

Dan
I saw a homeless guy riding super fast with no tires, straight up rim to pavement. I was so shocked, I slowed to double check, as I doubted my very own eyes. And here we are worrying about not being able to fit 32's into a frame and the like.
Old 01-23-24, 12:15 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I saw a homeless guy riding super fast with no tires, straight up rim to pavement. I was so shocked, I slowed to double check, as I doubted my very own eyes. And here we are worrying about not being able to fit 32's into a frame and the like.
Although we never did, I have to say that this ‘tire-less’ thing is the kind of thing we’d have done in the neighborhood as a kids way back in the 70s. Not just general riding around, but at nighttime just to see the rooster tail of sparks when we’d skid. A regular practice we did do was to slam our coaster brakes on, right on top of a flattened tin can (not aluminum), to see the sparks.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-23-24, 02:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I saw a guy doing that in traffic. Couldn’t believe I was seeing it either.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-23-24, 06:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
+2

Where I ride, those kind of cycles are specifically prohibited, but I think e-bikes opened the floodgates and now it seems anything goes. It's now common to see anything short of a full-size motorcycle sharing the path.
That is the problem, we don't distinguish an electric bicycle which like every bicycle requires pedaling to move forward, and the e-mopeds which can use pedals but also have a throttle. If we remove all throttled vehicles and enforce things we will be in good shape.
Old 01-23-24, 06:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Young rattler on the Lehigh Gorge Trail.

Was it a loud rattler?
Old 01-23-24, 07:29 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I saw a duck just fall out of the sky dead a few weeks ago, when things were getting really cold in December. It was flying I guess, and then all of a sudden it wasn't. Fell down on a small rural road, like many here in Korea, a one lane concrete ribbon road, mainly for farm vehicles, with a bike path next to it. Poor bugger made a real heavy slap sound and lay there bleeding and dead, although it was really, really cold. Maybe it froze to death? They swim around in the creeks in winter here just fine, though. Who knows.

The other one recently was a couple of Asian Raccoon Dogs. It's winter, and this was in late November, so they looked like awesome little 1980s animal rock stars with bushy fur coats for the coming winter. It was actually near where I saw the duck, slightly to the north of the main urban area on a creek side bike path that runs for miles and miles to the north, paved all the way with a walking footpath beside it. The Raccoon Dogs were there on the pedestrian part of the path, looking oddly guilty for some reason. I stopped and looked at them for quite a while, until I started to fumble about with my phone, wanting a picture to show my child, and they ran away, startled. They're 100% awesome, it felt like a good luck omen to see them.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 01-23-24, 07:50 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Lately for me, multiple sightings of teenagers on minibikes on SoCal dedicated bike paths.
At least we hear them coming. Loudly. And quickly. Sometimes thirty mph. No helmets, either.
Not amused by it, whatsoever. And they do it because law enforcement cannot curtail it.
I see them on the SART on the weekends, but rarely on the weekdays. Lots of utility and public works maintenance crews out on the SART during the week, so easy to radio in if something unusual. I'd guess there are more gas-powered bikes & minibikes on MUPs on the weekends since the riders are in school during the week.
Old 01-23-24, 08:16 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I saw a shirtless cyclist stop his bike by a dumpster, go dumpster diving, and pull out a bottle of vodka. Nah, that seems far-fetched. Maybe I didn't really see it and just imagined it.
Likes For Random11:
Old 01-23-24, 11:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Suicidal squirrels and Canadian geese camping on and around the trail.

Old 01-24-24, 05:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I see trees of green. Red roses too.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-24-24, 05:06 AM
alex marques

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ohh really
Old 01-24-24, 05:08 AM
alex marques

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
road tress and mountains this is glorious
Old 01-24-24, 05:09 AM
alex marques

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Was it a loud rattler?
Old 01-24-24, 05:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by JanMM
Was it a loud rattler?
It didn't make a sound. In fact, I rode right by it without noticing it. The GF asked if I had seen that snake back there.

Forgot about this guy I saw on the same trail back in the fall. It was funny because I was pointing it out to people so they wouldn't run over it. After a few minutes, two women rode up. One was Australian. She found a stick and shooed it away. She had this attitude like "That's no big deal." There are things in Australia like snakes that can kill you if you look at them the wrong way.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-24-24 at 05:41 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-25-24, 07:23 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The trick to not making squirrel sausage is to keep your line, accelerate and make a lot of loud sttacatto noise as you approach them, don't buy the fakes, they will stop and go, and change direction several times, works most of the time. Caterpillar slalom is my favorite, and roadkill bunnyhop goes without saying...
Old 01-25-24, 12:20 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
The trick to not making squirrel sausage is to keep your line, accelerate and make a lot of loud sttacatto noise as you approach them, don't buy the fakes, they will stop and go, and change direction several times, works most of the time.
The ground squirrels are the most problematic. They will make a beeline for their hole, even if you happen to be in between. I've had them dash across an entire road towards my front wheel.

Old 01-25-24, 10:05 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
This was freaky. I ran into some walkers in one of the tunnels of the abandoned stretch of PA Turnpike, which is now a MUP, while touring across PA. We chatted for a bit, then I took this photo. That night in camp, I was the only person there. I started reviewing the day’s photos. When I saw this, a chill ran up and down my spine. I hadn’t realized there were three of them. It was dark, I had my sunglasses on, and I was looking into the lights. And notice that the woman in the middle didn’t have a flashlight.

Two out of three had flashlights, what’s the big deal, they could have got away with one!
Tim
Old 01-25-24, 10:45 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Two out of three had flashlights, what’s the big deal, they could have got away with one!
Tim
You have obviously never been in that tunnel before. It's over a mile long with no lights, and has not been maintained since the 60s. In fact, it was abandoned, in part, because of water leakage issues. And there is a crown, so you literally cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel when you enter. Locals make fires and leave debris near the portals.

Fun fact: One of the two tunnel portals (there are two tunnels on the rideable stretch) was a filming location for "The Road", starring Viggo Mortensen.

If you look closely, you can see the two flashlights in the photo. I thought they were other riders, so I hung out waiting for them to come to avoid the risk of a collision. They were moving so slowly that I finally got impatient and started riding. Notice that you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-26-24, 08:47 AM
indyfabz

And while we are on the subject of rail-trail tunnels....

The west portal of the Saint Paul Pass tunnel on the Hiawatha Trail leading from ID into MT. 1.66 miles of darkness as you cross the Bitterroot range of the Rockies. Don't stray too far to one side or you will slip into those drainage ditches on either side fo the raised riding surface. I had 750 lumens and wished I had 1,000.

Incomparable trail. Hoping to ride it again late summer.

Old 01-27-24, 08:58 AM
boomer58 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts

The west portal of the Saint Paul Pass tunnel on the Hiawatha Trail leading from ID into MT. 1.66 miles of darkness as you cross the Bitterroot range of the Rockies. Don't stray too far to one side or you will slip into those drainage ditches on either side fo the raised riding surface. I had 750 lumens and wished I had 1,000.

Indyfabz - The Trail of the Hiawatha is one of the most amazing rail trails I have ever been on. I did it a few years back when I was visiting my sister in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. The scenery is breathtaking when you exit the other side. We had some pretty bright lights but could have used brighter ones. If I remember correctly, the tunnel has a curve so at one point you do not see the light at the end either way. Can't wait to get back there, thanks for posting.
Old 01-27-24, 09:23 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts

funny story or not I guess. My buddy was riding thru without a light (he had a light but it stopped working for some reason) and hit a deer that had wandered in the tunnel..he crashed. I have another friend whose wife crashed in the tunnel because she veered over and she broke her arm. he said it was a brutal walk back to the parking lot as it was a bad break.
Old 01-27-24, 09:39 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I saw a homeless woman stripping down on the MUP to don some of the new clothes she received from the outreach in town. I also saw an unrolled condom on the same MUP at a different time. These were unrelated incidents and I did not examine the condom close enough to see if it had been used or simply unfurled by a curious youth.

Old 01-27-24, 10:09 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Cow hit by a Truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.