Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Any app that will upload rides to Garmin Connect?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 08:47 PM
Calla lily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I recently got a Garmin Vivosmart hr (not the plus with gps) to replace my fitbit. I use a Wahoo rflkt and the Wahoo app to track rides. I had it connected to the Garmin app and was able to share my rides and they would show up in the Garmin app. Suddenly I can't and the Wahoo app won't connect with Garmin anymore. I can download the files from Wahoo and manually upload them, but is there any other apps that will share directly with Garmin Connect (and work with the rflkt)? I'm an Android user (Samsung Galaxy s5). Before getting the vivosmart I would share to Strava but that app doesn't share to Garmin either, only from Garmin to Strava.
Old 12-19-16, 09:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
I think Garmin stopped allowing imports/uploads to Connect this past year.
Old 12-19-16, 10:01 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Wahoo support said Garmin no longer allows automatic uploads. You can upload manually to Garmin Connect if you have a computer.
Old 12-20-16, 06:01 AM
Calla lily

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well that stinks. I've only been using Garmin Connect for about 3 weeks and the first 2 weeks I was able to upload from the Wahoo app without any issues. That stopped about a week ago. Strange that it allowed uploads for a short while and I still see Garmin as a share option on Wahoo. So now have to do it manually. So Garmin doesn't allow imports from any other apps? That's not very nice of them to not play well with others. It would be nice if they added the option to track activities with gps using the app then. I got the Vivosmart hr as a replacement all day tracker. I like being able to broadcast my heart rate to view on the RFLKT. I figure that I always have my phone on rides (and most other activities) so the gps one wasn't worth the extra (this was a great sale price) and I would still want to use the rflkt to see data while I ride anyway. As an all day tracker, I'm not impressed. The sleep and auto activity tracking don't work well. I like the screen and notifications though. So now I'm going to decide if I want to return this while I can or keep it and continue to manual upload activities (and hope they add in uploads from another tracking app) and maybe buy a garmin cycling computer down the road.
Old 12-20-16, 12:07 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I know some people are anti Strava, but Strava would allow you to upload all of your data directly from the wahoo app (I'm sure there's a sync option) and if you decide to get a garmin computer down the road, you can sync Garmin Connect to Strava.

Old 12-20-16, 02:53 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Why not just send the data to Strava automatically at the end of each ride using the Wahoo Fitness app? Once it's set up, it will auto send to Strava each time you end a ride. Nothing to do manually. Also, you don't need the Wahoo app to use the RFLKT. There are other apps out there that are compatible with a RFLKT and will auto send your ride data to Strava.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-21-16, 09:09 AM
Calla lily

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm using the Vivosmart as an all day tracker (steps, sleep, calories burned) so I need my rides, hikes, etc to be in Garmin Connect to count towards active calories. intensity minutes, etc. So I was hoping there was some magic app I haven't found that will still send directly to Garmin Connect. Appears there isn't. So for now I will manually upload my rides to one drive then add them to Garmin Connect later on the computer.

I'm not a Strava premium member so I can only view average speed, not current speed, which is why I don't use that with the RFLKT. I use the Wahoo app for tracking rides since I think the screens are more customizable than using other apps. When I had a fitbit, I would track with Wahoo, send to Strava which would then send to Fitbit (I think, something sent the info to Fitbit automatically). So now it's track with Wahoo, upload manually to Garmin Connect, which will send to Strava automatically. Getting the info into Garmin is the main goal, Strava is just kinda extra to track miles, etc.

And I know none of this is needed, I'm not racing or trying to get QOM. My only competitor is me. But I'm a geek and like the info and it's another thing which keeps me motivated to go ride.
Old 12-21-16, 01:21 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Calla lily
I'm using the Vivosmart as an all day tracker (steps, sleep, calories burned) so I need my rides, hikes, etc to be in Garmin Connect to count towards active calories. intensity minutes, etc. So I was hoping there was some magic app I haven't found that will still send directly to Garmin Connect. Appears there isn't. So for now I will manually upload my rides to one drive then add them to Garmin Connect later on the computer.

I'm not a Strava premium member so I can only view average speed, not current speed, which is why I don't use that with the RFLKT. I use the Wahoo app for tracking rides since I think the screens are more customizable than using other apps. When I had a fitbit, I would track with Wahoo, send to Strava which would then send to Fitbit (I think, something sent the info to Fitbit automatically). So now it's track with Wahoo, upload manually to Garmin Connect, which will send to Strava automatically. Getting the info into Garmin is the main goal, Strava is just kinda extra to track miles, etc.

And I know none of this is needed, I'm not racing or trying to get QOM. My only competitor is me. But I'm a geek and like the info and it's another thing which keeps me motivated to go ride.
I feel your pain!

I have a vivomove and was trying to get everything all synced between garmin, strava, apple health app, and my calorie counter, plus linking it all back to Humana so I can get a discount on my health insurance. I would be somewhat successful in getting a few together, but then others would double calories or steps or something. I eventually gave up on some of the crossover.

I ran across this app when I was looking, but I never tried it.
https://tapiriik.com/