Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Advice/Experience riding in West Central CO? Glendwood Springs/Carbondale area

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts

Ill be out there for a week this summer and am debating whether to bring my mountain bike or gravel bike. Never done any riding in CO before, so either would be a blast Im sure.

There is an abundance of singletrack within 15mi of where I will be staying, but Im curious if riding the gravel/dirt BLM roads would be a good time.
Anyone ride the roads out in that general area?

Unfortunately 1 bike will be the max for me as its with family and there will only be space for 1 of mine. Otherwise I would take both in a heartbeat!
Old 05-19-17, 05:39 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Probably not what you're looking for, but if you want something little more "recreational", you might check out the Rio Grande trail, which connects Glenwood Springs to Aspen.

I've only been on the portion close to Aspen (mainly running) though once a few years back we rode to Woody Creek Tavern. I think it'd be fun to take the family on a section next time we're out, or maybe ride the whole ~40 miles by myself. Very scenic, I think most of it is either paved or well-maintained gravel.
Old 05-19-17, 06:54 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't ridden gravel in the area, but last time I was in Glenwood Springs I rode the Rio Grande trail from GS to Carbondale and back. That portion is paved(I think the plan is to pave the Rio Grande trail all the way to Aspen and it may already be paved all the way.) Very scenic. When I got back to GS I continued my ride by taking the Glenwood Canyon trail which is paved. That's another cool ride but might involve some pedestrian dodging during the summer. I was there in the fall and the foot traffic wasn't too bad but it seemed like everyone was too enthralled by the scenery to be paying much attention to bikes on the path.

Last edited by Pendergast; 05-19-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 09:25 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
Coffee Pot Road near Gypsum, just through "The Canyon" from Glenwood springs. Big climb then gorgeous high altitude back country type riding. You'll begin on a road called Deep Creek Road that turns in to Coffee Pot.