Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Early 90s Bike Side pull Brakes Not moving Evenly.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-23, 11:08 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

It's a Medici Road bike. Love the bike but can't get the left side to move the same amount as the right side (Facing the bike as I write this). My hybrid bike had different brakes where I could tighten a screw to adjust spring tension but this one doesn't have that. How do I fix this? The right seems to be contracting more than the left if that makes sense.

I know the pads have moved out of alignment again and I will fix that. I will also center the calipers. Just learned how to do that.
Old 08-27-23, 11:25 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...-brake-service
Old 08-27-23, 11:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Some were almost impossible to keep centered. If you are going to keep riding it and don't have a overwhelming desire for period components, then you'll find dual pivot brakes much better in all respects. They usually have a adjustment to help you get them centered and they stay centered.

And if the brake pad wasn't dragging enough to slow me down, then I wasn't one to worry much about those that wouldn't stay centered. The pads left and right didn't show much difference in wear.
Old 08-27-23, 11:44 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Sigh... old single pivot brakes. At least these aren't labelled: 'Dia-Compe'.

First order of business is to replace these with some dual-pivot road brakes; cheap Tektro dual pivots feature much better mechanical advantage and they self center. You center them by grasping both arms and rotating the whole caliper, and then they stay put, unlike single-pivot brakes.

If you really insist on staying with these, and I've worked on hundreds of such brakes, here is a checklist of possible solutions:
  • Rotate the whole brake around the central bolt. This may require loosening the mounting bolt on the back of the fork, rotating, and then tightening. Or perhaps there is a 13mm flat on one of the bolts that you can get a wrench into to rotate the whole thing.
  • Perhaps the arms are gummed up or corroded and sticky. Lubricate the pivots with a drop of Tri-Flow or whatever.
  • Perhaps the cable housing is too short or too long, which pulls the brake one way or the other. Size correctly. In any case, replace cables and housings yearly.
  • Possibly the central bolt is too tight, and the 2 arms are not free enough to rotate around the central bolt. 10 degrees of rotation could mean the difference between the arms being seized up, or too loose and floppy. Tune them carefully.
  • Is the main spring broken or bent?
  • At the interface where the spring pushes on both arms: lubricate with a drop of something. Don't get any lube on the rims.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 08-27-23, 11:57 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
take them completely apart... clean EVERYTHING... reassemble with proper clearances to allow free movement with minimal slop... DON'T GREASE them since the grease will eventually CAUSE sticky operation.,,, Correctly center them to the wheel/frame.

ride your now better functioning bike and smile.... right after you ALIGN THE LEFT PAD TO THE RIM SURFACE.

Last edited by maddog34; 08-27-23 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-27-23, 12:38 PM
RoadWearier

Great suggestions all. That suggestion that the center bolt might be too tight is especially pertinent. It seems like there was a lot of play when I first got the bike so I tried tightening it. It's possible I overtightened. Sounds like these single pivot brakes are going to be fiddly. If I still have the bike this winter maybe I'll ask for a dual pivot for Christmas. The brake is ok as is I guess. It works but I can't some to a skid stop right now for sure

I'm just glad the brakes don't squeal like my Trek/Giant bikes did
Old 08-27-23, 12:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Completely disassembling and cleaning them is the way to go at this point. (I usually apply a little light oil when reassembling.)

When adjusting the brakes so that the pads meet the rim at the same time, you may find that the gaps are slightly different when the brakes are completely open. Try not to let that bug you too much.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-27-23, 01:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - Centering side-pull brakes
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-27-23, 03:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Replace the springs and buy a "brake wrench" that allows you to tighten the bolt completely and then make adjustments to orientation of the calipers. The wrench is thin enough to use on the flat rear end of the caliper. Park Tool sells the OBW Offset Brake Wrench - Brake Centering Tool for this purpose.
Old 08-27-23, 03:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the brakes. It's important that they're mounted so they're centered in the open position and that's it.

As for closing evenly, they operate on the same principal as your hands.

Try this experiment. Put a glass on the table at hand's reach where you can reach it with your eyes closed. Now, with eyes closed, reach out and pick it up. Do this a few times, and you'll see that as you close your grip, one finger touches first, then the opposite side closes, and the grip tightens until you can lift it.

Same with a brake, one side touches, then when the second touches, Newton's Laws ensure that the rim is squeezed evenly from both sides.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-27-23, 04:09 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Looking at the cable angle; the cable housing is too short, pulling the brake to one side. Replace cables or lower bars.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 08-27-23, 04:40 PM
Kontact 

Yup, cable is way too short.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 08-27-23, 04:50 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Kontact
Looking at the cable angle; the cable housing is too short, pulling the brake to one side. Replace cables or lower bars.
Ugh...say it ain't so. Maybe I'll just live with it for now. If I still have the bike during the winter maybe I'll take it to a shop.
The cables have been taped down as well maybe when I re-wrap the bars I can free up thevslack
Old 08-27-23, 04:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Yup, cable is wa-a-a-ay too short.
Fixed it for you.

I'm impressed that the OP needed anyone to point it out.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-27-23, 04:57 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Fixed it for you.

Everyone, including you, missed it. Why would a relative neophyte realize?
Old 08-27-23, 05:00 PM
FBinNY 

Ugh...say it ain't so. Maybe I'll just live with it for now. If I still have the bike during the winter maybe I'll take it to a shop.
The cables have been taped down as well maybe when I re-wrap the bars I can free up thevslack
Sorry, it's so.

However, you shouldn't need to live with it. I see that you raised the bars by a half inch or so. Likely that was as far as the front hrake cable b allowed.

Dropping them back may be all that's needed. Certainly worth a try if you don't want to re-cable.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 08-27-23, 05:04 PM
FBinNY 

Everyone, including you, missed it. Why would a relative neophyte realize?
I missed it because I didn't see the photo, and the OP asked a very common question, thereby getting the very common answer. And of course, we're not psychic, and can't know the OP's skill level or the bike's service history. Had the OP included, "......until I raised the bars.....", we might have factored that.

Also, he might have noticed since he apparently raised the bars as far as the cable allowed, thereby creating the problem. I would hope, though maybe not expect, that if someone raises bars until he's tugging on a cable, he'd know that he's tugging on a cable.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-27-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-27-23, 05:07 PM
Kontact 

I missed it because I didn't see the photo, and the OP asked a very common question, thereby getting the very common answer.

Also, he might have noticed since he apparently raised the bars as far as the cable allowed, thereby creating the problem.

I would hope, though maybe not expect, that if someone raises bars until he's tugging on a cable, he'd know that he's tugging on a cable.
I diagnosed it with the photo that is in the beginning of the thread. The cable is pulled tight at an angle. Everyone saw that photo.
Old 08-27-23, 05:13 PM
FBinNY 

I diagnosed it with the photo that is in the beginning of the thread. The cable is pulled tight at an angle. Everyone saw that photo.
Oh my God!!

You're a fu#$%ing genius. So much smarter than everyone here.

Now are you happy?

BTW I won't point out that you missed that the bars had been raised. Oops, I just did.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-27-23, 05:28 PM
Kontact 

Oh my God!!

You're a fu#$%ing genius. So much smarter than everyone here.

Now are you happy?

BTW I won't point out that you missed that the bars had been raised. Oops, I just did.
I guess you missed that I was the one that explained to the OP how to raise his bars.

I get a little tired of the amount of half-assed advice given in this subforum by people that like to tout their experience. Threads just fill up with irrelevant rabbit holes instead of basic troubleshooting, seemingly because people are more interested in sharing their personal bicycle philosophies and judging the OP instead of just asking basic questions and looking at the clues. You actually told the OP that there is nothing wrong. Redic. Other suggestions were taking everything apart, rotating the caliper or just giving up.
Old 08-27-23, 05:49 PM
RoadWearier

Fixed it for you.

The OP isn't the expert you are I guess
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 08-27-23, 06:18 PM
FBinNY 

I guess you missed that I was the one that explained to the OP how to raise his bars.
I missed it because it wasn't on this thread, and as I pointed out, I'm not psychic.

OTOH, knowing, as you apparently did, you might have pointed out WHY his cable was now to short, and suggested he put the bars back where they originally were, thereby solving his problem.

[QUOTE=Kontact;22997346I get a little tired of the amount of half-assed advice given in this subforum by people that like to tout their experience.....[/QUOTE]

There's an irony here that you seem to miss. My original "nothing wrong with the brake...." post was specifically intended to counter all the preceeding posts of the type you hate. Essentially we agreed.

Likewise, with my post intended to reinforce yours about the short cable. However, despite two posts of basic agreement, you chose to start an argument, instead of helping the OP solve his problem.

There's the difference. I try to focus and help OPs solve their mechanical problems without causing them to do unnecessary or counterproductive work. You do so also, but cloud that with pointless argument.

By example, I could (but normally wouldn't) point out that having told the OP how to raise the bars, and knowing that the bars had been raised, you COULD have helped the OP by telling him to put them back down, but didn't (as I did 2 posts later)
Old 08-27-23, 06:27 PM
FBinNY 

The OP isn't the expert you are I guess
I'm sorry I offended you, that wasn't the intent.

It's not about ego or bragging rights. It's about learning to think about things and connect dots.

You knew you'd raised the bars. That wasn't mentioned, and no one would have known that on their own. So yes, I do expect one who raises bars to where they were pulling on the cable might consider that as a possible cause of their problem.

Please understand, that I'm a fan of the Tao proverb about teaching fishing vs. giving fish. When here I try to offer help in a way that might help people step back, see the big picture, and hopefully get more than an immediate solution.

Also a reminder to anyone patient enough to have read this far.

Just as doctors are trained to get the whole medical history, it's helpful to give some history and context when describing a problem.

This is a perfect example. The way the problem was described, put the focus on the caliper itself, whereas more info would have helped lead to the right solution.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-27-23 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-27-23, 07:01 PM
RoadWearier

I'm sorry I offended you, that wasn't the intent.

It's not about ego or bragging rights. It's about learning to think about things and connect dots.

You knew you'd raised the bars. That wasn't mentioned, and no one would have known that on their own. So yes, I do expect one who raises bars to where they were pulling on the cable might consider that as a possible cause of their problem.

Please understand, that I'm a fan of the Tao proverb about teaching fishing vs. giving fish. When here I try to offer help in a way that might help people step back, see the big picture, and hopefully get more than an immediate solution.

Also a reminder to anyone patient enough to have read this far.

Just as doctors are trained to get the whole medical history, it's helpful to give some history and context when describing a problem.

This is a perfect example. The way the problem was described, put the focus on the caliper itself, whereas more info would have helped lead to the right solution.
I think the picture makes the cable look tighter than it is and I'm not sure I even raised the bars but the tight cable may be the right answer. Again I'm hoping that when I free up the cable from the handlebars it may put less tension on the cable. The handlebar tape needs to go anyway.. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-27-23, 07:23 PM
FBinNY 

I think the picture makes the cable look tighter than it is and I'm not sure I even raised the bars but the tight cable may be the right answer. Again I'm hoping that when I free up the cable from the handlebars it may put less tension on the cable. The handlebar tape needs to go anyway.. Thanks for your input.
A few points.

Untaping the bar may not help, unless you retape with the cable escaping sooner. Also, while you may not have raised the bars, somebody did, as evidenced by the discolored band on the stem.

So, you might save yourself a trip down the rabbit hole by lowering the stem half an inch or so, and see if it solves the problem. If so, you can either leave it there, or go back up and do what's needed about the cable.

If dropping the bar, and slackening the cable doesn't help, you can then focus on the brake as you seek the answer.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-27-23 at 07:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.