Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano Roller Brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shimano Roller Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 12:38 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano Roller Brakes

I tried searching for info, but the search just kicked out an error about the term being too long or too common.

What are the general thoughts on Shimano's Alfine roller brakes as compared to normal disc brakes? I've gotten a vague impression that the roller brakes aren't as good, but I haven't really read much about them.
Old 01-31-10, 01:18 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I use Shimano roller brakes on my "city bike" (Redline R530) The stock front brake was the anemic IM-41F. I would not recommend that one to anybody. I now have upgraded to a dyno hub with the IM-70F which does a much better job of stopping. I have only ridden a couple of disc brake bikes, but my general take on them is that they are very powerful and should stop you in most if not all conditions.

Roller brakes are totally enclosed and are not affected by weather at all. Discs are affected at least a bit by nasty road conditions.

Another problem with roller brakes in the US is availability. I have had to source parts for mine from the Netherlands when I could not get items from any US distributor.

I don't believe they offer Alfine with roller brakes only discs and those are hydraulic discs in the US. The roller brakes seem to only be compatible with the Nexus hubs.

I like my roller brakes fine and they stop me and my fully loaded bike with no fuss at all. FWIW I seldom exceed 15mph and my fully loaded weight is ~300#. YMMV

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 01-31-10 at 04:31 PM. Reason: speeling an gramma
Old 01-31-10, 10:14 PM
Arcanum

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Another problem with roller brakes in the US is availability. I have had to source parts for mine from the Netherlands when I could not get items from any US distributor.

I don't believe they offer Alfine with roller brakes only discs and those are hydraulic discs in the US. The roller brakes seem to only be compatible with the Nexus hubs.
Thanks. The parts sourcing is a bit troubling.

I was wondering because I was looking at the Trek Soho as a commuter/trail bike. It looks good, except I wanted disc brakes vs. it's roller brakes. It's using an Alfine IGH, so take that as you will.

I'm specifically looking for disc brakes because the winter weather here tends heavily towards snow and ice.
Old 02-01-10, 10:25 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Thanks. The parts sourcing is a bit troubling.

I was wondering because I was looking at the Trek Soho as a commuter/trail bike. It looks good, except I wanted disc brakes vs. it's roller brakes. It's using an Alfine IGH, so take that as you will.

I'm specifically looking for disc brakes because the winter weather here tends heavily towards snow and ice.
That is the Nexus 8 hub on there NOT the Alfine. Alfine is a step up in quality.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-01-10, 03:21 PM
Arcanum

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
That is the Nexus 8 hub on there NOT the Alfine. Alfine is a step up in quality.
Ooops, right you are.