Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

4 Bikes to choose from -- Any thoughts and advise appreciated :)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 03:36 AM
Speedy83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, this is my first time here so please have some patience if I do anything wrong...

I'm in the market to buy a mountain bike.
- Price category $750-$1500 (Australian Dollar).
- As I'm relatively new into mountain biking it does not have to be the most technical bike ever.
- No preference between 26" and 29"

Looking at local offers at the moment for my length (1.93, with long long legs) I have come up with the options mentioned underneath.

Some basic questions go through my mind:
- Buying last years components is probably roughly identical to this years, but buying 3-4-5 years old components might make a big difference. Clearly in electronics as soon as you buy it, it is old, but how fast does technology progress in Mountain Biking?

- How important is the "brand" of the bicycle compared to the brands of all the components? As you can see there is a fairly unknown brand included, but it has great components for the price .

I would greatly appreciate some expert thoughts on the bikes mentioned below, potential warnings are also more than welcome .

Buy HASA Hard Tail Mountain Bike SLX 30 Speed | CD - More Products

Apollo Xpert291 | Apollo | 29er Mountain Bikes for sale in Ashburton | 102157680

Merida Matts Lite XT-D

Rocky Mountain Element 30 | Rocky Mountain | 26" Dual Suspension Mountain Bikes for sale in Strathpine | 102398145
(please find components here on page 20: https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/f...13_Can_MTB.pdf)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Speedy83; 06-26-14 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 04:17 AM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Speedy83,

If I were in your shoes I would choose the Rocky Mountain Element 30.

It will have inferior components compared to the Merida, however, the rear suspension make your ride better.
I have found that full suspension bikes, although generally heavier than the hardtails, make me go faster and handles better when I go trail riding.

The Element 30 is an old model bike, but the components used, mix Deore - XT components work well enough.
You may want to change the brakes, the cranks, and the wheelset in the future as an optional upgrade.
But it works well the way it is..
Old 06-26-14, 06:08 AM
Speedy83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Some people mentioned that it is better to go for a hard-tail with better components, than for a cheap full-suspension. Is the Rocky Mountain full suspension good enough, i.e. is not considered a cheap full-suspension?

Thanks,
Cheers
Old 06-26-14, 08:00 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
What sort of riding are you looking at doing? the 3 HT bikes look pretty XC racy. If not racing, would go for the Rocky Mountain.

For MTB's and technology/obsolescence, you find this moves in jumps, 9 speed to 10 speed, 26" to 29er and now 650B/27.5. Go back 5-6 years most stuff was 9 speed, 26", 2-3years 10 speed and 29er had taken over, now 650B/2x10 moving forward 1x11/1x10 650B. 26" and 29ers are running on borrowed time both are practically dead from a new bike POV from 2015 (especially 26"), although plenty of us will continue to use 26" for may years to come/till tire supplies dry up.
Old 06-26-14, 09:32 PM
Speedy83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good questions, i would mainly use it recreational in up and down hill, single track, fire trail and eventually some more challenging / technical downhill, but no massive jumps. Purely enjoying with friends, so no competition of any sorts...

From the sounds of it, it might be worth looking into 27.5" as well, or is this type still too new and therefore the price point too high? It sounds a bit risky to buy 26" if that is to die in the years to come .

thanks for the advise so far. Any thoughts on the brand outlier Hasa?