Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

first bike, making noise

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

first bike, making noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 10:00 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
first bike, making noise

Ok so this will be my first post... I've been a long time lurker and wanted to get more into biking. Just never wanted to spend the kind of money that bikes cost! And I never new enough what to look for in used but after browsing here and getting some advice from friends I felt confident enough to start scouring craigslist and finally found something close by, inexpensive and at least seemingly decent for a first road bike.

I did some research and think this is an '88 LeTour and everything seems original right down to the 26 yr old tires (already ordered some new ones).

First 3 trips out everything seemed great, totaling maybe 25 miles or so. Everything felt tight, I liked the fit, and had a big grin on my face as I dreamt of actually doing some touring. Certainly much nicer on the paved bike path than my old 2.1" knobby tired mountain bike I was using (+10 lbs too). Then yesterday went out and did another 18mi. I noticed something almost immediately - there was a click from the crank when the left pedal was straight up. You could feel it as you were pedaling with each rotation, and as the trip went on it got bad enough to also hear the click. On the opposite half of the stroke it made a kind of squeegee like noise (best I could describe it) I wasnt worried about that so much as the click. I didnt see anything hitting it so figure its inside like a bearing or something. Anyone have any advice? Do I need to tear the crank apart? I'm a bit of a mechanic but don't know much about bikes. Is there a good guide how to tear apart a crank?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7949-800.jpg (96.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-23-14, 10:40 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
The once per rev crank click/creak/crunch is the most PIA thing to diagnose on a bike. If you search you'll find that it could be almost anything, and very often has absolutely nothing to do with the cranks.

My rule here is to play hunches, focusing on those that are simplest to confirm either way, so I don't end up wasting time and effort on complicated work that's not needed.

The single easiest elimination test is to remove the pedals (both) and test with another pair. If that resolves the issue, you've narrowed it to the pedals, but even so, will often find that the original ones, when replaced into cleaned and greased threads now are silent. Be sure to also clean the faces where the pedal meets the arm because this is a very common cause of clicking.

The next likeliest cause is a crank arm loose on the spindle. Often simply tightening it a bit more will resolve the issue, but if they've been ridden loose for any length of time, no amount of tightening can save them. If you think this might be the cause, try mounting cranks from another bike (the spindle faces never wear) and see if that helps. If it solves the problem, you know that one or the other crank is toast, but might pray for a miracle and give them another shot.

If it's not pedal or crank/spindle related, you're in for the long haul. Before pulling the BB, look for other "gee I wish I'd noticed that first" possibilities, like a cable end touching the crank.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-23-14, 10:56 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Make sure that a derailleur wire or shoelace end is not ticking against the crank as it goes by. The derailleur wire is a little tricky since it will change/disappear when you change gears up front.
Old 07-23-14, 10:56 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Pull the crank. Used bike, used car, all deserve a look under the hood...

I pulled a crank on and old Peugeot and found bearings that looked like little rusty meteorites. On the downside, I have traced a creak in a crank to a broken spoke, a noisy seat, a bad shoe, and a failing freewheel...

You gotta love it...
Old 07-23-14, 12:05 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Pulling a crank requires specialized tools, time and a lot more knowledge than the OP currently has. Wisest thing is to simply tighten the crank arms and pedals, which can be done with standard tools. If that fixes it one can then look later at niceties like BB overhaul.

As for the shoelace/wire idea - some folks like to bring that up but it's pretty rare and does not at all match the OP's description of the problem developing over several rides and it occurring when the left pedal was straight up - where neither a cable nor shoelace would be interfering.
Old 07-23-14, 01:27 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Pulling a crank requires specialized tools, time and a lot more knowledge than the OP currently has. Wisest thing is to simply tighten the crank arms and pedals, which can be done with standard tools. If that fixes it one can then look later at niceties like BB overhaul.

As for the shoelace/wire idea - some folks like to bring that up but it's pretty rare and does not at all match the OP's description of the problem developing over several rides and it occurring when the left pedal was straight up - where neither a cable nor shoelace would be interfering.
Yeah, I have no knowledge in bike mechanics though I'm sure I'll be picking it up soon anyhow. I also have no specialized bike tools (other than whats on my Topeak multi tool) but I am a nearly fully equiped general mechanic. Time im not to worried about, am I complete DIYer so I spend a lot of time on my hobbies.

I dont wear shoes so definitely no laces.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The once per rev crank click/creak/crunch is the most PIA thing to diagnose on a bike. If you search you'll find that it could be almost anything, and very often has absolutely nothing to do with the cranks.

My rule here is to play hunches, focusing on those that are simplest to confirm either way, so I don't end up wasting time and effort on complicated work that's not needed.

The single easiest elimination test is to remove the pedals (both) and test with another pair. If that resolves the issue, you've narrowed it to the pedals, but even so, will often find that the original ones, when replaced into cleaned and greased threads now are silent. Be sure to also clean the faces where the pedal meets the arm because this is a very common cause of clicking.

The next likeliest cause is a crank arm loose on the spindle. Often simply tightening it a bit more will resolve the issue, but if they've been ridden loose for any length of time, no amount of tightening can save them. If you think this might be the cause, try mounting cranks from another bike (the spindle faces never wear) and see if that helps. If it solves the problem, you know that one or the other crank is toast, but might pray for a miracle and give them another shot.

If it's not pedal or crank/spindle related, you're in for the long haul. Before pulling the BB, look for other "gee I wish I'd noticed that first" possibilities, like a cable end touching the crank.
Wow hopefully it is an easy one. Sucks my first problem could be so mystrerious lol! But maybe this is why I got it for so cheap. Either way I'm not out much, unless I put a ton of money into it and cant fix it right or something like that.

I wondered about the pedals - that is the only variable between the last too - it had original pedals on it before until I swapped to those ones in the picture. They are only 2 yrs old though and were expensive (too me anyhow) with maybe 100 miles on em. I'll definitly check em out and try to figure out how to tighten the crank arms.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll try to get it out tonight.