Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Runner thinking about turning to biking

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-09, 07:55 PM
TheChasePack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am currently a collegiate distance runner and I just got a few bikes from my grandma who owns storage bins and people just didn't want them anymore. The bike I'm currently riding is a Scott CR1 with 105 components, but I also got a Specialized Allez and a Specialized Roubaix (that is rusted and needs a lot of work to be ride ready). I don't know if the sizes are perfect for me but I feel I don't have much room to complain when I'm getting thousands of dollars worth of Bikes for free. I just have a few questions.

-Will my running endurance fitness translate well to being a biker. I run 2 hour plus runs weekly at about 6:30 per mile (about 9 mph for you bikers) yet my first rides that were very well under 2 hours felt difficult. Will I probably have a steeper improvement curve because I already have a strong cardio base or will it take months or years before I'm ready to ride centuries at any kind of up-tempo pace?

-I feel that my strengths will be in my climbing. I have always had virtually no excess upper body weight or strength (can't bench much more than 100#), yet fairly strong and developed legs (easily squat over 300# naturally from just running) . I'm currently around 6-7% body fat depending on what scale I'm standing on or what time of the day the POD is measuring me. I read some about lance when he was doing his marathon and he said that runners are ridiculously skinny and that most bikers are closer to the 10% body fat...so will being lower than 10% be awesome cause of less weight on climbs or hurt me for energy reasons on longer races?

-If I do want to become a competitive biker, is the ability to sprint a necessity to be competitive at any level? I'm sure it is something that could be developed but I am much more interested in continuing to develop my strengths in endurance riding. How often can break aways win for cat 5 riders? for cat 3 riders? Would it be possible to solo faster than the peloton in a cat 5 race?

-What is prize money like in amateur racing? In running, at my ability level I can probably make a couple hundred dollars a year in 5k's, 10k's, and mini's. how long before I am making $200-$300 a year in bike racing? Not cause I need the money or anything, just cause payout are always fun.

I really enjoy reading these forums and starting to bike ride has been a lot of fun for me already. Even though I have only rode by myself and only 5 times now(and I got attacked by a dog yesterday and messed up my calf and I was instructed to not do any leg related workouts for a week...which will probably last two days before I can't stand not doing anything. But I don't blame biking for this, some people just need to know to control their pets and I need to learn how to fight better) Thanks for any help!
Old 07-31-09, 08:17 PM
SemperFi87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer question 1, it will take some time. Being athletic in general always helps, and having an endurance background is even better. You will probablly adapt a whole lot faster than someone without that sort of back ground, and if you train right, you should see a similar curve in terms of performance. The bottom line is that cycling is still a different sport, and the only way to really condition your body to it is to go out there and do it!

Question 2: the body fat shouldn't really have that much of an impact. As long as you are following proper nutrition, especially on long rides, you will be fine. 6-7%, while low, is still perfectly healthy. When you start getting really low is when you have problems, but based on everything I have ever heard, you will be fine. As far as making you faster, less weight, ceteris paribus, is always good. But there are too many other factors such as power, lactic thresh hold, etc.

Question 3: Sprinting helps, but it certainly isn't necessary. Plenty of wins come from break aways and climbs in hilly races. Check out TT's too. Everyone has different styles, and they all works at certain times.

Question 4: no idea, never gotten that far haha

I came from a competitive running background too. Getting on the bike is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Get out there and love every second. If racing is what you wanna do, the single best thing you can do though is to start doing some groups rides and work your way up to fast group rides.
Old 07-31-09, 08:25 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Basically, I'll second SemperFi. It will take some time, but your base fitness should help.

In terms of money, it depends on where you are racing, if you advance to upper categories (Cat 4 and 5 races are usually prizes -- yay socks!), and if you are riding for a team. Teams often split winnings. Some amateur races have pretty nice purses, some not so much. It depends.

The racing forum has a nice thread about getting started on racing. Be forewarned if you start a thread there - it makes the road forum look tame.
Old 07-31-09, 08:27 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your collegiate running speed clearly shows that you have the potential to dominate in road bike racing events. Once you develop the cadence, bike handling, and most importantly, bike-specific leg power, you will be a formidable competitor on the bike circuit if you train hard on the bike.

It does vary somewhat by your leg power, though. I jumped into cycling via triathlon, and could outclimb and outsprint some slower Cat4s within 4 weeks of intermittent bike training and virtually no bike background. I do have "log-legs" though, which isn't great for a runner, but translates into good power on the bike.

In contrast, a fellow triathlete I run with does a 2:35 standalone marathon and a 3:15 marathon at the tail end of an ironman race. He can run like the wind, and is light as heck. He's decent on the bike, but I am significantly faster, especially on hills, mostly because what I think is leg power issues. He spends as much time as I do training the bike, but between my genetically big legs and training exclusively on mountain roads (he rides exclusive flats), I'm surprisingly better on the bike as of now.

No doubt though, if he started training the hills that I ride, I'd have no chance against him. Not a prayer.

The running background is huge for cycling, and it even works to some degree vice-versa. Go for it, tiger.
Old 07-31-09, 08:29 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I was primarily a runner, started cycling in my mid 30's as I noticed I was not recovering well from running every day.

Never raced, it was always cross training and commuting to work.

You will need about 8-10 weeks to fully adapt to the new demands on your legs.
Old 07-31-09, 08:29 PM
Treker
Zebra

Bikes: '04 Trek 1000, '05 Devinci Millenium; 07 Spec. Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like SemperFi said: coming at this sport with a given fitness level will certainly help your transition into cycling. Read these forums or some good mags to find a training sched that you like, ride, and have fun. We'll assume you have all the peripheral gear like quality clothing and essential tools etc that will enhance your cycling experience.

I didn't want to add this but in yoour last paragraph it's 'ridden' and not 'rode'.
Old 07-31-09, 08:30 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
'Go for it tiger?'
Old 07-31-09, 08:32 PM
agarose2000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BTW - if you train smart, you should be able to ride centuries within 2 months, tops, if you keep pushing the distance every week.
Old 07-31-09, 08:41 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling uses more specific muscles than running. It'll take you a while to build them up. I was a distance runner when I started cycling. My first ride of 6 miles was tough! But it was only a couple months before I was doing 50 mile rides with ease.

Tactics are much more important in bike racing than in running. Lone breaks rarely win. Smarter cyclists will be happy to let a strong but tactically ignorant rider do a lot of work, then drop them on a hill or out sprint them at the finish. If you want to do well in races, don't get the idea that tactics are for wussy.
Old 07-31-09, 08:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I'm not fast on the bike and I suck even more as a runner, but I have been around cycling awhile and I can tell you what I've observed.
People with a running background and those that still run will improve and become good climbers faster than others. These people have aerobic ability that sometimes gets them in trouble. What I mean is they are suddenly fast enough in the hills to stay near seasoned riders but don't have the handling skills to bump elbows in a pack. Take the time to work on your whole game.
Years ago there were 2 guys in my club who were 2-3% body fat. Yes, they were tested multiple times. One was a vegan and the other was an omnivore. They were great climbers but the vegan guy would run out of gas first.
Of course it's possible to solo away from a cat5 pack, but you would soon be a cat4.
Old 07-31-09, 09:17 PM
TheRealNicola
Daily Commuter

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Gary fisher wahoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling is very different from running. Good at one may not mean good at another.
Old 07-31-09, 10:57 PM
CornUponCob
Swim Bike Run

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP, Specialized S-Works Transition, Blue RC5 AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at your calves. If you have tiny little calves high up on your leg you are more naturally gifted in running. If you have a meatier calf muscle that seems to take up 50% of your lower leg, then you have more of a cyclists build.
Old 07-31-09, 11:13 PM
agarose2000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I disagree with the folks above who think it may take you awhile to get good. Your running ability puts you in the top 1% and higher of runners. You should not be mediocre for more than a few weeks, tops.