Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride on an Adamo saddle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 03:21 PM
Recess
It'll be fine...

Bikes: Scott CR1, Fuji Aloho 2, Giant Terrago Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Been having some "D1ck death" recently on a new Scott CRX-1 I bought. It's been suggested that maybe an Adamo Racing saddle would be good for me, to relieve pressure 'down there' while riding.

I didn't really enjoy the lass of sensation for a few days - not something that makes me look forward to going for another ride on that bike to be honest! Up until last week, I loved riding it - but after a few long sessions, it's time to back off and take care of 'him' before something goes wrong permanently.

Everything I've read about the Adamo says it's great (when fitted properly) but also, a lot of the stuff I read relates to aero positions and TT/triathlon riding. So if anyone out there rides with one on a road bike, with normal flats, ascents and descents lasting a few hours - could you let me know if it's comfortable etc?

Thanks - from me and wee-man.

John

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra
Old 10-08-09, 03:56 PM
bigd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased the Adamo because my doctor suggested a saddle with a cut out would help me with my issues. The LBS sized it and fit it to my bike. I rode it for about 500km before giving up on it.

Two issues I had with the saddle. First, the nose of the saddle is considerably wider than a traditional saddle and you can feel it between your legs all the time which takes a little getting used to. Second, the rear of the saddle is triangular in shape and I found each time I mounted the seat, my sit bones found a different position on the saddle and after a week or so, it felt like it was pushing my sit bones apart causing rather extreme pain.

After this I purchased a Toupe (broke it) then a specialized Alias saddle and have had no problems since.
Old 10-08-09, 04:09 PM
Griffin2020
On the road to health.

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Cervelo RS is in process.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally enjoy the lass of sensation for a few days...

it is possible that the saddle on the CRX-1 is simply not properly adjusted.
Old 10-08-09, 05:11 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not sure but Adamo was a great battle.

OP...seriously...lots of good saddles out there and there is one for you either with or without a cutout. Try to find a LBS that has an exchange policy. Lots of bar drop puts pressure on the boys...the bane of a racing bike for most of us. Seat height, setback saddle top angle all have a major influence. You may even have to raise your handlebars and work on your posture. Many contributing factors. If you are a big guy...I can't ride a narrow saddle...try a saddle like a Rolls or Brooks or something over 150mm wide. You also should get out of the saddle periodically to restore blood flow.
Whatever you do, don't ride the bike with this condition until you make some changes.
Old 10-08-09, 07:37 PM
ljholland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had one for a couple of weeks now. Numbness is completely gone - even when riding in the aerobars. The first two rides felt a bit uncomfortable...but each ride since has gotten better and better. I'm now pain free.
Old 10-08-09, 07:39 PM
evenslower
doin the hokie pokie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know someone who tried it. Said the nose was too wide and couldn't get used to it.
Old 10-09-09, 04:00 PM
Recess
It'll be fine...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Griffin2020
I personally enjoy the lass of sensation for a few days...

it is possible that the saddle on the CRX-1 is simply not properly adjusted.
Line 1 - (insert a witty comment/reply regarding increased longevity in the sack vs the poor spelling of my OP)
Line 2 - There's a good chance. I've set it up similar to my old bike, but they're two different monsters, so trying to make an apple look like a banana really. (Older bike was set up more for TT's, smaller saddle to bars ratio - new bike has more distance = more comfortable on the back - not as good on the wee man.

Like I said, a lot worse when doing a lot of descents (I'm 8 minutes at once on steep downhills on one ride - which was the last ride I did before suffering so bad) - so I know it's something to do with weight artificially shifting forwards.

Got a lead on a good price on the Adamo, so may follow that up for the time being, see how it works out - feed back some on here, and then see how I get on. Just a pain that the Scottish winter's about to hit, and apart from turbo training, I won't get to properly test it till feb/march time.

Cheers so far for the comments - keep them coming.

John

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Frank Sinatra

Last edited by Recess; 10-09-09 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 04:58 PM
kimjo2000
Dakota

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, 2004 Ironhorse Triumph Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Adamo Road saddle for about a year on both the road and tri bikes. The saddle is awesome. I've tried Arione, Selle San Marcos, and couple models from Performance (E3, Classic) and the Adamo is the ONE. But, the fitting was quite tricky for me. It took a good 3 or 4 weeks to get the right position. What I've learned:

1) The rails should be parallel. This makes the saddle slightly nose down, but it was comfy for me. The installation instructions also state that the nose should be slightly down, but it's up to the individual.
2) Much of the user recommendations out there (especially on slowtwitch.com) suggest that the saddle should be pushed further back than usual. But for me, I've found that sitting on the triangular part of the saddle was more comfy on my road bike. I just kept sliding the saddle forward until it was comfortable. Slightly different placement on my tri bike though.
3) I didn't have issues with the "nose" rubbing my thighs, but I know some folks use zip ties to pull the two "prongs" together.

Hope you find the right saddle for you!
Old 10-09-09, 05:20 PM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered a Selle SMP saddle? I love mine. I have one on my road bike and one on my MTB
Old 10-09-09, 06:26 PM
tanhalt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes...I have one on my road bike ever since dealing with a bacterial prostate infection last spring.

Setup is everything...and if you think the "nose" is too wide, that just means you're sitting too far back on the saddle. Seriously (I myself made the same mistake at first). The saddle has no "nose" since it's basically been chopped off. The back 3" of the saddle are just there for UCI compliance. Your "junk" should be well off the front and the sitbones themselves on the prongs.

And for TT use...it's the ONLY saddle I've ever used on the TT bike that hasn't caused chafing issues when "giving it the stick"
Old 10-09-09, 07:35 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
Have you considered a Selle SMP saddle? I love mine. I have one on my road bike and one on my MTB
I would go this route as well.

If you don't like it, you can resell it at a good price.
Old 10-09-09, 07:39 PM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride one on my TT bike, very comfy. Best saddle ever (IMO) for a TT position, in which you are rotating your hips forward. As a road saddle, I think it could help you.
Old 10-09-09, 07:40 PM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tanhalt
Your "junk" should be well off the front and the sitbones themselves on the prongs.

And for TT use...it's the ONLY saddle I've ever used on the TT bike that hasn't caused chafing issues when "giving it the stick"
Right on.
Old 10-09-09, 07:43 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate552
I ride one on my TT bike, very comfy. Best saddle ever (IMO) for a TT position, in which you are rotating your hips forward. As a road saddle, I think it could help you.
I was thinking the opposite. I don't think it's wide enough in the back to give a lot of support in a normal road position. In the aero/TT position the sit bones support almost no weight so the saddles are very different--at least for me.

I use a Cobb V-Flow plus on the TT/Tri bike and a Toupe 143 on the roadie...
Old 10-09-09, 08:32 PM
tanhalt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I was thinking the opposite. I don't think it's wide enough in the back to give a lot of support in a normal road position. In the aero/TT position the sit bones support almost no weight so the saddles are very different--at least for me.

I use a Cobb V-Flow plus on the TT/Tri bike and a Toupe 143 on the roadie...
The Toupe 143 is exactly what I had on the road bike before...which was GREAT until I had the infection. After that I found things were a bit more "sensitive" down there and I started to "notice" the solid nose of the Toupe. That's when I pulled the Adamo Road off of the TT bike and put it on the Soloist.

Then again, my road position is probably slightly more "rotated forward" than the average bear (see my avatar for example)

I'm thinking I might give the new Specialized Romin a shot (since the "channel" extends further up the nose) before committing to a dedicated Adamo for the road bike.

Oh yeah...one neat aspect about the Adamo on a road bike is that the lack of the "nose" allows one to VERY easily adopt the "sitting on the top tube" descending technique without feeling like you're trapped under the nose of the saddle. You basically just drop down and rise straight back up
Old 10-10-09, 05:12 AM
Recess
It'll be fine...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then again, my road position is probably slightly more "rotated forward" than the average bear (see my avatar for example)
This made me think of something. Due to the amount of rolling hill etc in the West of Scotland where I ride most, I spend as much time in the hoods as I do in a drop position (probably more in the hoods to be honest) - what would the comfort outcome of such a position be if using it?

I'll probably try to get one if it's still cheap, see how it works, and if it's not as comfortable for long rides, keep the hunt going and shift it onto my TT bike, but it's been (and still will be) interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

J

Frank Sinatra
Old 10-10-09, 09:40 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In that case, maybe the Cobb would be the right choice.

www.cobbcycling.com

Drop them an email or give them a call--many times you can talk to John Cobb himself and he'll recommend a saddle for you. They have a 180-day fit guarantee too. Great service.
Old 10-10-09, 10:45 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

The Toupe 143 is exactly what I had on the road bike before...which was GREAT until I had the infection. After that I found things were a bit more "sensitive" down there and I started to "notice" the solid nose of the Toupe. That's when I pulled the Adamo Road off of the TT bike and put it on the Soloist.

I'm thinking I might give the new Specialized Romin a shot (since the "channel" extends further up the nose) before committing to a dedicated Adamo for the road bike.

Oh yeah...one neat aspect about the Adamo on a road bike is that the lack of the "nose" allows one to VERY easily adopt the "sitting on the top tube" descending technique without feeling like you're trapped under the nose of the saddle. You basically just drop down and rise straight back up
Dude, seriously. Try a used SMP from ebay.
Old 10-10-09, 10:46 AM
Recess
It'll be fine...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, never heard of them before (of course, I only heard about the Adamo last week, so it's not surprising). It looks like it'd be kinder to me, only problem is trying to find someone in the UK that sells them.

I'll hunt though - thanks for the link!

J

Frank Sinatra
Old 10-10-09, 10:51 AM
Recess
It'll be fine...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Dude, seriously. Try a used SMP from ebay.
Aw man... just when I thought i'd started to make up my mind. I'll check out the SMP too - see if my LBS has any in stock.

Out of interest, went on a ride today and paid attention to what's going on down there, and it really feels as though the full weight is taken ride through the perineum. Shifting back and forth on the saddle (or shifting the saddle itself) just changes the focus - but it's always right through the sore-bits.

The standard Scott racer saddle is really flat though, so I guess this would be the case.

So far then - I'll check out the Adamo, try to find someone selling the Cobb, and also look at the SMP. Cheers folks! The cluster is thankful.

J

Frank Sinatra
Old 10-10-09, 11:05 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Recess
Wow, never heard of them before (of course, I only heard about the Adamo last week, so it's not surprising). It looks like it'd be kinder to me, only problem is trying to find someone in the UK that sells them.

I'll hunt though - thanks for the link!

J
I'd just call them directly and see what they can do. They'll know how to get you one.
Old 10-10-09, 11:13 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

On the SMP note:

Their shape is awkward because they have a beak and a raised back. most saddles don't have that pronounced of a 'hammock'.

You have to pick the right width, but then your pubic rammii and sitbones will take ALL the weight. Painful at first but you get used to it.

If you set it up right, the back flare of the saddle will 'hug' your sitbones.

I tried a TON of saddles (toupe, slr, etc etc etc) and none of them worked for me. This one did, and the shape is similar to a traditional saddle so you can still steer with your hips and such.

I've never ridden a Cobb or Adamo, so I can't speak for them. I trust Tanhalt and Dr.Pete's judgment though.

If you buy an SMP then buy one that doesn't have stitching on the side (might have to buy one with a color). They sell a ton with just a leather cover, and others with padding, and some which are full carbon.

I have one with a leather cover and no padding. Ordered another with a hair of padding because I wanted to see what it would be like. I have no issues with my current one.

You have to play with the angle, I got lucky and got it right the first time.
Old 10-17-09, 01:54 PM
Recess
It'll be fine...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey folks - thought I'd update with an.... update.

Got an Adamo Racing saddle on eBay for £60, which is £50 left than most stores. Put it on today - set it according to the video, went for a ride, spent the first 10 miles adjusting it - then it all fell into place.

Nice to ride on, no numbness down there, but I do have two very defined sore bits on m'arse.

Time will tell about that side of things, but the very fact little Recess was still with me when I arrived home is all I need to care about for the time being.

Incidentally, the setup video said that there'd be a breaking in period, and that rides over 30 miles would probably be best avoided at first. I went 40 today - and at 31, it started to hurt. So, listen to the video!

J

Frank Sinatra
Old 10-18-09, 09:53 AM
Dilberto

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Rode one before, but the two front "fingers" keep trying to pull my shorts down on out-of-saddle starts. Its OK if an attractive woman keeps trying to do this...but completely unacceptable from an ugly as sin saddle!

Resorted back to Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow...
Old 10-18-09, 10:04 AM
CornUponCob
Swim Bike Run

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP, Specialized S-Works Transition, Blue RC5 AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the saddle for about 3 weeks before I gave in and pulled the nose in with zip ties. They say "if it feels too wide you're sitting too far back" but I tried scooting up and then the pressure was off my sit bones and on my grundel.

They need to just admit that the nose of the seat is about 3 or 4 mm too wide. If so many people are pulling the nose in that kinda represents a consumer preference.

Anyway, for TT position it's awesome. For road riding I only slightly prefer it over a regular saddle with a cut out.