Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I think I found one of the toughest climbs in the "country" (St. John USVI)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 09:10 AM
CornUponCob
Swim Bike Run

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP, Specialized S-Works Transition, Blue RC5 AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went hiking one day while I was down there (St. John is not the place to ride, no shoulders, constant up and down twisty roads and crazy fast locals on said roads. . . plus they drive on the left there and a lot of Americans get confused).

Anyway, I walked up Route 108 that starts in Coral bay and goes near the top of the highest mountain (Bordeaux at ~1250 feet). The road is paved the whole way, mostly with grooved concrete for water run off, and better traction.

The climb starts roughly at sea level (or 21 feet according to google earth) and flattens out at around 1160 feet for an ascent of 1140 feet. The kicker, is that ascent is done in only 5400 feet for an AVERAGE gradient of 20%! There are very few sections where the road flattens out, but there are a few. . . most of the long hills that cut up the side of the MTN are probably 22-23%.

I know that Waipio Valley road and Lincon Gap in Vermont may be slightly steeper, but this climb is over a mile long. Just walking to the top was hard.