Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Master World Championship Schedule is up

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-23-17, 09:35 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While we don't yet have a schedule for Natz in June, Carson has the schedule for Master's Worlds in October Up!

See: Schedule - Masters Worlds LA
Old 03-28-17, 12:10 PM
Murakami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
While we don't yet have a schedule for Natz in June, Carson has the schedule for Master's Worlds in October Up!

See: Schedule - Masters Worlds LA
This will be my first Worlds. I just saw I've to pay to ride training sessions and have to stay from Monday (pursuit) til the Sunday to do the Points race. Holy hell! This is gonna cost a bit of dough.
Old 03-28-17, 03:56 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Murakami
This will be my first Worlds. I just saw I've to pay to ride training sessions and have to stay from Monday (pursuit) til the Sunday to do the Points race. Holy hell! This is gonna cost a bit of dough.
Plus you have to pick your credentials the day before your event.

I agree cost and time can be expensive if riding multiple events that are several days apart.

For riders that have an RV, a relatively nearby RV park is at Dockweiler state beach.
Dockweiler RV Park ? Beaches & Harbors
So this might be one way to minimize cost.
Old 03-31-17, 03:38 AM
Murakami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travelling from Europe, so it's gonna be crazy expensive.
Old 03-31-17, 09:59 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travelling from Europe, so it's gonna be crazy expensive.

It's about the same as it was traveling from the US to Manchester, Australia, or Portugal.
Old 03-31-17, 02:48 PM
Murakami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know, still constitutes crazy expensive. Hopefully, I can find an AirBnB in the area
Old 03-31-17, 05:50 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know, still constitutes crazy expensive. Hopefully, I can find an AirBnB in the area
Everyone can just stay at my house. I mean, how many people could it be?
Old 04-02-17, 10:49 PM
wallythewhale

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for this!
Old 04-02-17, 10:54 PM
wallythewhale

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Should be a good year!
Old 04-02-17, 11:30 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
Everyone can just stay at my house. I mean, how many people could it be?
Just me and my teammate.

Old 08-20-17, 11:52 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
More than 100 entries already even with those prices...
There´s a list with name and class on the event site.
All going well, I´ll be there, to "learn" for 2018..
Old 08-21-17, 06:51 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there as well to "learn" for 2018 as well. I have no expectations for this year, just want to experience it so next year I'll have all that out of the way, will know what to expect and can focus on results. Should be fun, never been on a wood track or indoor facility. Guessing times should be slightly faster since wind will not be a factor, correct?
Old 08-21-17, 11:35 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
I'll be there as well to "learn" for 2018 as well. I have no expectations for this year, just want to experience it so next year I'll have all that out of the way, will know what to expect and can focus on results. Should be fun, never been on a wood track or indoor facility. Guessing times should be slightly faster since wind will not be a factor, correct?
Unfortunately, no on both

It probably won't be fun. Track time will be very limited, expensive, and probably chaotic. For every person who is there with no expectations, there will be 9 with very high expectations...and the attitudes to match. Many have been training for several years and will spend several thousands of dollars to be there as well as use vacation time.

The logistics of getting to the infield is tough. The bathroom situation is not ideal. I last rode there in spring of 2013 for a workout.

The track isn't known as being a "fast" one. It's very well maintained, but several riders from DLV have logged faster times at DLV than in LA for short and long time trials (myself included). Maybe others can explain why.
Old 08-21-17, 03:47 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
The logistics of getting to the infield is tough. The bathroom situation is not ideal. I last rode there in spring of 2013 for a workout.
I'd be surprised if they didn't at least put portables out the back door for worlds. They do it for elite nats, and masters worlds should be treated at least as well. For world cup and elite worlds they typically have put hollywood restroom trailers (as trailers with real flushes and tanks rather than hose-them out portables) out back.

The track isn't known as being a "fast" one. It's very well maintained, but several riders from DLV have logged faster times at DLV than in LA for short and long time trials (myself included). Maybe others can explain why.
DLV is slightly higher elevation and probably often at higher temperature and humidity than Carson, all of which contribute to slightly lower air resistance. Wood will also be a lossier surface than concrete.
Old 08-21-17, 06:01 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i assume that a lot of LA's speed issues come from the fact that it's in a hot area, so it's air conditioned - and as a result, the air is cooler and less humid than just about any other track in the country.

it also has pretty tight turns, which inhibit going full gas through the turns, somewhat.
Old 08-22-17, 09:26 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
LA was about 1- 1.5 seconds faster for me than Hellyer on average for a kilo. It's not known as a particularly fast 250, but I think it's still faster than most US outdoor tracks. But going there with low/no expectations is the best way to have fun! It can be a cool experience, and for sure your first time on a 45˚ wood track is unforgettable. If you can, try to get there a couple of days early to get some less high-pressure time on the track. If you're used to a low-banked 333 it's a pretty huge adjustment.
Old 08-23-17, 06:51 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Don't they require everyone racing there to attend one of the certification courses, even for Masters Worlds? That was the impression I got.
Old 08-23-17, 06:21 PM
bitingduck

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Don't they require everyone racing there to attend one of the certification courses, even for Masters Worlds? That was the impression I got.
Unless you're a track Cat 2 or higher.

Since UCI licenses don't have a category, it's not entirely clear whether they'll require it or not, but if they do it should just be the accelerated class. A one hour version used to be free with race entry for saturday races (and if you fail you get your entry fee back) to make it easier to convert roadies to track - Vance can tell you whether they're still doing that.
Old 08-24-17, 10:53 AM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my impression from talking to the VSC staff that they are going all out for Master's Worlds, including training the volunteers and determining who is best at what so that the athlete experience is marred by volunteers who don't really know what they are do. As bitingduck said, I think the potties are going to be the movie kind. As for the infield experience being hard, I beg to differ. For an event like this, they open the entire area so that everyone can have their own little "cabin" on the floor. Porta Potties are at most 200 feet away behind the velodrome. Remember, this is LA, probably no rain, although they could get hot. Those who enjoyed Rock Hill will love VSC.
Old 08-24-17, 05:11 PM
bitingduck

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
Remember, this is LA, probably no rain, although they could get hot. Those who enjoyed Rock Hill will love VSC.
It won't be hot in the velodrome - the warranty on the track requires temperature control. Outdoor temperatures could easily be over 100-- Sept/Oct are generally the warmest part of the year. When I moved here it was over 100 F the day I unloaded my truck in the first week of November. It will be very dry, so even if it doesn't feel hot, make sure you drink-- your sweat will evaporate and you won't realize how much you've been losing.

This fire season has also been very good down here, so it's pretty likely there won't be smoke. The track is close enough to the beaches that it's in a less smokey area even if there are fires.
Old 08-24-17, 08:20 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Was there - Carson LA Velodrome - some weeks ago and the place has nice aircon system.
Track is similar to our Rio de Janeiro velodrome where I raced last May. 45 degree banks - not a problem if you don't try a surplace on the wrong location.
Will race without any expectations the 500m (I´m 59), not taking all the risks on the 200m and maybe the Scratch.
Looking for other racers interested in set a Team Sprint trio - it's possible to compete with different nationalities and also having one of the 3 from a older age class.
Old 08-28-17, 06:46 PM
Divebrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone familiar with the Carson/LA velodrome have any hotel suggestions for Worlds? Is the Double Tree listed on the World's site for $175/night the best deal? Don't need the Ritz Carlton, but also don't want a Super 8....doesn't have to be next door, but also don't want an hour drive. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

A UCI license is required and it says it must be obtained from your National Governing Body or Federation and that it is different form a regular domestic license....anyone know the USA cycling protocol to get a UCI license off the top of their head?

On another note, when it comes to spectator and infield passes, they have one listed for $80 for all training and racing sessions....is that good for infield only or can one go into the stands to spectate as well. As a racer, I'm guessing you can hang out in the infield during all sessions, even on days not racing or would that be incorrect? On non race days, can a racer hang out in the stands or do they need a spectator pass to gain access to the stands?

Last edited by Divebrian; 08-28-17 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 07:03 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
There's a hotel a couple blocks north of the velodrome. Hampton Inn? I forget. Stay there. Get burritos from El Burro, and if you can talk them into selling you a beer to-go, then you're a smoother talker than I am.

Proximity is a great asset here. The less time you spend packing your **** and taking it to and from the track, the more time you have for rest and recovery. If you can restrict your life to as close to the track as possible (doable - there are a few decent places to eat and a Walmart which has groceries, all within spitting distance of the track) - and not involve a twenty-minute drive back to your AirBNB - then that's 20 more minutes for better food, for getting there without stressing out, for moving your bowels, or for winding down in the evening and getting good sleep.

Track sessions are long. There's a lot of waiting. If you can quickly pop back to your place for an afternoon nap, then you've got a leg up on the competition.
Old 08-28-17, 08:17 PM
Divebrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, it is the Hampton Inn and it was $20/night cheaper than the Double Tree. How's that rear wheel treating you?
Old 08-28-17, 08:32 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
Anyone familiar with the Carson/LA velodrome have any hotel suggestions for Worlds? Is the Double Tree listed on the World's site for $175/night the best deal? Don't need the Ritz Carlton, but also don't want a Super 8....doesn't have to be next door, but also don't want an hour drive. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
I stay at the Best Western on Sepulveda Blvd in Redondo Beach. Best Western Plus Redondo Beach Inn - Guest Reservations
About 1/2 hour by car from the Velodrome. Great for early morning walk on the beach. I stayed there (as a spectator) for the recent World Cup and found some Canadian coaches and competitor families also stayed there.

There is a Holiday Inn at the intersection of the 405 and 110 freeways that might be worth looking at.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.