Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Why no weekend races?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 09:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Why no weekend races?

Why aren't there more weekend races on the tracks?

My nearest track is 3 hours away. It has races on Wednesday and Friday nights. To make those races, I have to take a half day, and then drive back very late that night or find a place to stay/book a hotel. It doesn't make it convenient for me to race there.

And I'm not really interested in driving 7 hours up to T-Town for Masters and Rookies racing, though I guess I could do it.
Old 04-14-17, 01:13 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because road races and crits are on the weekend.
Old 04-14-17, 07:02 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At Carson, we always had Friday Night Racing. This year, we finally made the move to Saturday Main Event for omniums. Being southern California, there are crits and road races and mtb races every single weekend. It's a nightmare trying to find the right weekends (that also jive with the velodrome's calendar, like various national teams training).

We thought it was worth trying Saturdays, though, particularly for the reason you mention: it is far more likely to be conducive for not only out of towners (friends from San Diego Velodrome and Hellyer Velodrome), but even for locals -- Friday night traffic in Los Angeles was a major barrier. Also, most of the crits are on Sundays.

It has been successful so far, but we still lose people every time to other events. You'll never have a perfect schedule, you just have to put your stake in the ground and hope they come. It is UTTERLY mind boggling to me that anyone would chose to pedal tempo around an industrial park for 45 minutes followed by one sprint rather than race an omnium in the only indoor velodrome in the country. (Never mind that there are only 8 per year of the latter, and about 700 of the former.) But I guess I'm biased.
Old 04-24-17, 03:36 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115
Because road races and crits are on the weekend.
+1
That is our excuse too.