Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Odd Strava Followers Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Odd Strava Followers Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 07:01 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Yes, bike thieves have use Strava to ID where you live & work, know what bikes you have, and figure out your daily schedule.

Strava allows users to create a privacy zone around address, for example, I have a 1/2-mile ring around my house where no other user can see my route.

I don't have big $$$ bikes, but I don't post all the details about my bikes - some users like to 'brag' about their awesome bikes (read big $$$), letting a thief know that there's something really good to steal.

Lastly, users can make their Strava account private and use it as a person riding log.
I guess I'm not too worried about someone from Brazil traveling here to steal my cheap hybrid from my house or the Walmart BSO mountain bike in my shed.
Old 07-19-18, 07:18 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I guess I'm not too worried about someone from Brazil traveling here to steal my cheap hybrid from my house or the Walmart BSO mountain bike in my shed.
Right. I've been OK with some international followers. I've ridden with a couple of them, then their friends follow me too. I have some friends that have moved around the US and world too. So I have some real-world friends in Japan, UK, Norway, ... But the Brazil crowd, I don't know any of them outside Strava-land.

Anybody actually tracking rides in Strava is less worrisome, I guess somebody could hack that and upload fake rides, but I'm not that worried about people posting activities. I will block any user that has no activities - that's a big red flag to me.
Old 07-19-18, 08:10 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Yes, bike thieves have use Strava to ID where you live & work, know what bikes you have, and figure out your daily schedule.
Not being argumentative but genuinely curious, does anyone know of any documented cases where this happened? I've heard about this ever since Strava started getting popular but I'm wondering if it's actually happened -- seems like a lot of work for a thief to go to.

Strava allows users to create a privacy zone around address, for example, I have a 1/2-mile ring around my house where no other user can see my route.
Yeah that's what I do. It's probably what all the military and DOD personnel logging all their Strava activities in their secret squirrel compounds should've been doing, too. You'd think they'd know that.
Old 07-19-18, 08:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Not being argumentative but genuinely curious, does anyone know of any documented cases where this happened? I've heard about this ever since Strava started getting popular but I'm wondering if it's actually happened -- seems like a lot of work for a thief to go to.
https://road.cc/content/news/136239-...ve-bikes-wales

This is from 2014, and I think most people that would be a target for this kinda thief have figured out how to be smarter protecting their stuff. I've only heard of thieves targeting big $$$ bikes, there's point in putting this much work into a basic bike you'd sell for $100.

In my area (Minneapolis), we have a lot of stolen bikes, but nearly all are crimes of convenience - poorly locked outside, unsecured in apartment storage room, and detached garage break-ins are very common right now. We have a group on Facebook to post stolen bikes, many show up on on-line selling sites, it's surprising how dumb these bike thieves are.
Old 07-19-18, 01:55 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
If a thief is willing to go to enough trouble to track my whereabouts on Strava in order to break into my house and steal my bike... well I'll just tip my hat to him for a job well done and collect my insurance money.

Seriously, people on this site can be pretty paranoid at times.
Old 07-19-18, 02:56 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
https://road.cc/content/news/136239-...ve-bikes-wales

This is from 2014, and I think most people that would be a target for this kinda thief have figured out how to be smarter protecting their stuff. I've only heard of thieves targeting big $$$ bikes, there's point in putting this much work into a basic bike you'd sell for $100.

In my area (Minneapolis), we have a lot of stolen bikes, but nearly all are crimes of convenience - poorly locked outside, unsecured in apartment storage room, and detached garage break-ins are very common right now. We have a group on Facebook to post stolen bikes, many show up on on-line selling sites, it's surprising how dumb these bike thieves are.
Interesting. I would guess it's pretty location dependent -- I live in a small college town in the middle of 'Murica Ford Truck country where most people probably think Vincenzo Nibali is some sort of pasta dish, and the general crime rate is pretty low overall (I can leave my high-value bike locked up downtown with an Ottolock with a reasonable expectation that it will still be there when I get back.)

But in a place like Minneapolis, with a higher population and I'm guessing a higher overall bike IQ, I can see some enterprising thief learning about Strava and then figuring out how to use it to rob people.
Old 07-19-18, 03:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
There are other concerns beside burglary for some of us.
Old 07-22-18, 06:29 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
A bigger problem I have is that I swear my average is 27 mph but Strava always says it is significantly less!
I recently downloaded the free version since I’m cheap. I already had a basic Cateye computer so I could log mileage, trip, average, etc. My computer always shows a slightly faster, longer, and average speed ride than Strava. I guess one could take the time to figure out which is more accurate, but my LBS owner indicated that Strava isn’t quite as accurate since it’s using satellite signals instead of the sensor on my wheel. He told me that the more/steeper the hills, the more it will be off since it measures more of a straight line distance. Maybe that’s because he sold me the computer and wants me to be happy with the purchase, who knows! But his basic premise seems like it could be correct, especially since my wife’s computer always shows very similar numbers to my computer. Plus, my computer shows that I’m faster than Strava, so I choose to believe the computer. 🤗 I only use Strava to keep track of how often (days per week) I ride to keep me focused. If the mileage or average speed is a little slower, I don’t think about it.