Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Question re: stem adjustment

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 09-15-18, 07:05 PM
bicybike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Hi!

I recently finished building a bike that I love, but that upon completion I realized I had set up just a bit too long for me, and was finishing my rides with significant upper back pain. Ive currently got a 10 cm nitto dirtdrop stem, and I decided to fix the problem with a 5 cm nitto techmonic. However, once the techmonic arrived I realized by holding it up next to the current stem that while it will move the bars backward about an inch and a quarter, it will also drop them about an inch and a quarter lower, from just above the saddle height to just below it. This feels a bit like creating a new problem to solve my first problem. Does anyone have any alternative stem suggestions? Or should i just accept the lower/closer trade-off? I already have my seat shoved as far forward as it will go without turning the set-back post around backward.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-18, 07:12 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
A 5 CM stem? Sounds like you need a frame with a shorter top tube. Sliding the seat forward to decrease reach can cause problems.

Frame sounds like it's at least two sizes too big.
Old 09-15-18, 07:25 PM
bicybike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
A 5 CM stem? Sounds like you need a frame with a shorter top tube. Sliding the seat forward to decrease reach can cause problems.

Frame sounds like it's at least two sizes too big.
So to clarify, the significant back issues were when I had the seat shoved all the way back. Today I completed a 50 mile ride with the seat forward (at about the midpoint of where it would be on a non-setback post) and had only mild discomfort. I estimate that at current bar height I need to lose just 1 or 2 cm to be fully comfortable.
Old 09-15-18, 08:25 PM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Geometry is cruel. If you have a short high angle stem and you make it shorter it gets lower, as you found out.
You can get steering tube extensions that just move things up, and then use a short 0 degree stem.
Old 09-15-18, 08:38 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bicybike
Hi!

I recently finished building a bike that I love, but that upon completion I realized I had set up just a bit too long for me, and was finishing my rides with significant upper back pain. Ive currently got a 10 cm nitto dirtdrop stem, and I decided to fix the problem with a 5 cm nitto techmonic. However, once the techmonic arrived I realized by holding it up next to the current stem that while it will move the bars backward about an inch and a quarter, it will also drop them about an inch and a quarter lower, from just above the saddle height to just below it. This feels a bit like creating a new problem to solve my first problem. Does anyone have any alternative stem suggestions? Or should i just accept the lower/closer trade-off? I already have my seat shoved as far forward as it will go without turning the set-back post around backward.

Thanks!
Check this website out. It makes it easy to find a stem that will meet your needs.