Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Lipogems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 01:50 PM
ALANB58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lipogems

My knee has been more than bothering me, have some seemingly minor tendonosis and arthritis diagnosed via ultrasound an then an MRI. I have been doing physical therapy almost religiously, and putting 1/4 patches of nitroglycerin on it to increase blood flow, (prescribed). The PT definitely helps, but I am not sure if it helps enough. Now my Dr is suggesting Lipogems treatment, he showed me before and after MRI of someone else's knee, looked like remarkable growth of new cartilage. Does anyone have experience with this treatment? I am also interested in what people may have to say about PRP or stem cell therapy for joint issues. I really want to remain active into old age.
Old 02-24-19, 12:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've seen positive studies authored by Lipogems scientists. But then there's this: https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...tem-cell-64862
Old 03-01-19, 07:28 PM
ALANB58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have been reading up on this stuff quite a bit and have drawn the conclusion that the Drs and research scientists know that these treatments help to a certain degree sometimes, sometimes a lot, depending on a lot of variables. They are not really sure what mesenchymal stem cells or progenitor cells are or do, and the more they learn, the more they find out they do not know. I am in the meantime going Jihad on physical therapy, taking a lot of supplements, loosing weight and have selected a decent Dr for a second opinion. I already have a compact crank but I can go lower in the gears if the weight loss is not enough. I also started using an electric massager, that really warms the area up with increased blood flow.